FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HSBC Scam

Author Topic: HSBC Scam
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The MTN Foundation Donations, would like to notify you that you have
been chosen by the board of trustees as one of the new recipients
of a Grant/Donation cash aid of US $850,000.00 (eight hundred and fifty thousand United states Dollars) as charity donations/aid from the MTN
Foundation.

Anyone know anything about this scam? The bottom line is that want me to send them $200 dollars.

[ February 18, 2008, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
But first they need to know your SSN or your checking account information or a major credit card, I'll imagine.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
This declares it to be a scam (which it almost assuredly is), but doesn't provide reasoning for the conclusion.

Some analysis.

This is a very common scam.

One variant to watch out for is when someone actually sends you a check but asks that a small portion of the check be sent back. You deposit the check and the balance becomes available in your account. You send the requested money via money order.

Two weeks later, your bank notifies you that the original check is fraudulent and docks the money from your account.

This is a much more pernicious form of the scam, because many people don't realize that banks will make money available in the account before a deposited check has truly cleared.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Not this one, they just want me to sent them $200.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I ought to just send out mass emails asking people to send me $200. But the difference will be that I don't promise anything for it or lie in any way so it isn't even a scam, I just ask them to send me $200.
Somebody's bound to actually do it, right?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
This is a very common scam.
This is similar to some very common scams but it is the first time I've seen this particular variation.

I posted it because I thought perhaps other hatrackers might not have seen it yet either.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's also got funny usage and punctuation inconsistencies. I thought that might have been a motive for posting it.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
I ought to just send out mass emails asking people to send me $200. But the difference will be that I don't promise anything for it or lie in any way so it isn't even a scam, I just ask them to send me $200.

--Enigmatic

The question is, would you end up collecting more money if you just asked people to send you $5?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
And then you could tell those people who sent you $5 to forward the e-mail to all their friends with instructions to send them $3 and you $2. And all of them could...

[oddest thing in my life was having a boss for a very short-lived high school summer job who actually got suckered into a pyramid scheme.

"But what if nobody sends you money?"

"They will. I have a hot list of people who do this kind of stuff."

"Where did you get it?"

"I bought it from this guy who has made a ton of money doing this."

"How much did it cost?"

"$200."

[Wall Bash] ]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, that's a scam telling them they'll make money. My idea is not promising them anything at all or any providing them any get-rich quick scheme. It's just an email saying that they can send me $200. (Or, as Noemon suggests, $5.)

Noemon, I think the only way to find out is to try both techniques!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister made tens of thousands on a notorious pyramid scheme here in Sydney many years ago. Enough that she got me out of an immediate debt crisis and never asked for repayment.

Of course, she also had to flee to Canada until the statute of limitations ran out....

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:

Noemon, I think the only way to find out is to try both techniques!
[/QB]

Brilliant!

I really do wonder which would end up netting a person more money, and how high you could jack up the amount requested before the percentage of people who sent in cash began to drop. I mean, there's a point at which the people who would be likely to respond to this sort of an email would begin to balk, but I'm not sure what it would be. If they'd send $5, would they send $6? $7?

Clearly, we're going to have to do a lot of experimentation, Enigmatic. We'll be raking it in for science!

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Could you somehow imply that you were a collection agency without saying it out right. Something like "Failure to remit payment immediately may adversely affect your credit rating"

I bet there are many people who'd pay you $50 bucks or more just because of the implied threat.

Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
Learning about scams (mostly the ones originating overseas) has been a hobby of mine lately. I'm amazed at the lengths some scammers will go and conversely, the stupidity of some victims.

If you google 419 scam, you'll find a very interesting and educational site. Criminals in control of Storm had shut it down a while ago, but it seems to be back up and running.

The ones that I really detest are the scammers that have overtaken the ip relay system for deaf and HOH people in the US. They are despicable.

</rant>

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Could you somehow imply that you were a collection agency without saying it out right. Something like "Failure to remit payment immediately may adversely affect your credit rating"

I bet there are many people who'd pay you $50 bucks or more just because of the implied threat.

Oh, that's brilliant, and would undoubtedly up our take by quite a bit. But it's also coercive, which violates the spirit of the scam-free scam.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Here is another SCAM I hadn't seen or heard of before.

quote:
Attn: Beneficiary

The World Bank and United Nations Organization have officially approved to pay you part payment of your

contract/inheritance/award funds. This decision was made last week.

With this development, a woman by name Mrs. Janet White came to our office with an application stating that you gave her the power of attorney to be the beneficiary of your outstanding Contract/Inheritance/award funds. She made us to believe that you are dead and that she is your next of kin. We got your email address and decided to send an email through this address hoping to find out if you are dead or alive and also to find out if you at any time gave this woman the power of attorney to represent you.

Please let us know also if you are aware that we are almost ready to transfer part payment of $1.3m USD of your outstanding funds to her nominated bank account stated below:

Bank of America,

4201 Connecticut Ave Nw

Washington, DC 20008

ABA Number: 114000653

Account Number: 4746363838;

Account Name: Janet White

If you are not aware of the above instruction, do respond to this email immediately by contacting the head of the

International remittance department (Mr. Evans Timothy).

His contact information;

Direct Telephone No TEL: +44 70457 89444

Email: 6459@live.com

For immediate transfer of your funds be informed that you are not allowed to correspond of contact any person or office with respect to this transfer other than this office, you are required to send to him an email with your name and telephone number.

Yours Sincerely,

James Swans

HSBC, London.

dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow that last one's even written poorly. It sounds like some 10th grader "hacker" attempt to be cool and get some l33t cash.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I swear, there's a fortune to be made in an online service to scammers on "how to write a believable letter."
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Subject: Learn how to convince people you can grow their turnips!!!!

Do YOUR spam LETTERS get unread? Do YOU dream of BETTER SALES results?

LEARN Grammar! !!!

Our 2 step PROGRAM for only $9.95 will give YOU the plausibility skills a decent EDUCATION has FAILED to Give! LEARN how to scam people by USING big words like FELICITATE!

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"I swear, there's a fortune to be made in an online service to scammers on "how to write a believable letter.""

Indeed.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"My sister made tens of thousands on a notorious pyramid scheme here in Sydney many years ago. Enough that she got me out of an immediate debt crisis and never asked for repayment.

Of course, she also had to flee to Canada until the statute of limitations ran out....
"

It sounds like a movie plot. [ROFL]

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is the ad at the bottom of the page something from Phillipina dating service. Don't tell me THAT'S a scam! Maybe some of those women aren't really from the Phillipines.

(of course, now the ad has changed)

Enig,

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I recall reading somewhere that it is against the law to solicit money in the way you describe. I'm not really sure why (or if that's really true), but I remember reading it and thinking "why the heck is that illegal?" It was specifically about asking people for money and telling them up front that you are giving them NOTHING for it.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:

--Enigmatic

Two local radio station DJs asked people to send them money "...for absolutely no reason whatsoever."

They received in excess of $300,000.

So, heck, it might work! [Smile]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds familiar. Did they get in trouble over it?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

They donated what they received to charity.

I'm trying to find the story link, but it's late. My brain is slow.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a fun one that somehow bypassed the gmail spam filters.

quote:

Hello,

On behalf of the Trustees and Executor of the estate of Late Engr. Jürge Krügger. I once again try to notify you as my earlier letter was returned undelivered. I wish to notify you that late Engr. Jürge Krügger made you beneficiary to his WILL. He left the sum of Thirty Million, One Hundred Thousand Dollars (USD$30, 100.000.00) to you in the Codicil and last testament to his WILL.

This may sound strange and unbelievable to you, but it is real and true.

Oh well then, I'm convinced.

quote:
Being a widely traveled man, he must have been in contact with you in the past or simply you were nominated to him by one of his numerous friends abroad who
wished you good. Engr. Jürge Krügger until his death was a member of the Helicopter Society and the Institute of Electronic & Electrical Engineers.

According to him this money is to support your humanitarian activities and to help the poor and the needy in our society. Please if I reach you as I am hopeful, endeavor to get back to me as soon as possible to enable me conclude
my job. I hope to hear from you in no distant time. Note: You are advise to contact me with my personal email address: thomas.wilson77@hotmail.com

I await your prompt response.
Yours in Service,

Thomas Wilson Esq
Partner
Attorney at Law
Email:thomas.wilson77@hotmail.com

********Confidentiality Notice********

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this email message, including any attachment, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

The thought of an attorney, an esquire no less, being forced to use a hotmail account (a numbered one even) is terribly amusing [Smile]
I'm almost inclined to reply and ask about it.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
You should trust that one. He said the guy was in the Helicopter Society. How cool is that? [Smile]

Besides, he is not just an attorney, he is a partner in his firm. [Razz]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
i want 30 million dollars [Frown]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Well as soon as the Nigerian prince sends me the 90 million he owes me, I'll be happy to send you 30.

*EDIT*
And how did the advertising at the bottom of the page become a link to a photo gallery on a Filipino dating site?!?

Mucus
Member # 9735

Well, the algorithm does work on the content of the page.

Disturbingly, I suspect that implies some link between the content of online dating and confidence cons somehow. Perhaps there are a fair number of scammers that may attempt to get people to fall in love with them before scamming them or perhaps the descriptions that people make of themselves while dating online resemble scam letters. Yeah, disturbing.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

The ad at the bottom of the page is now for a penny stock broker.
Mucus
Member # 9735

Somewhat of what I would consider a "legal scam" [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.