FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Mexico

Author Topic: New Mexico
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I am seeking information, thoughts, anecdotes, etc. I am trying to finish my bachelor's degree in dance, and thought UCLA was the obvious choice. ( I live in LA.) Then I found out that the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque is the only University in the United States that has a degree program in flamenco. I would like to get my masters at UCLA (if I indeed still decide to pursue a masters) but I feel like being in a flamenco program would be a unique opportunity. Unique enough to leave Los Angeles for a while.

So...which way to Albuquerque? I don't know anything about the place, but apparently I have a cousin there. Just found that out yesterday.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no information about dance programs or New Mexico.

However, if you're considering a masters program at UCLA, you should look into whether having a bachelors from the same university will help or hurt chances. Some programs like it, some don't. If your masters is going to be in another field then it probably won't matter, but if you're planning on continuing to study dance this should probably be a consideration.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I lived in New Mexico for about 3 years (Jr. High years, so you understand how angsty my view might come off as). It's not a terrible place- I recall I kept complaining about how boring the place was. In retrospect, I don't think I would have nearly as many fond memories of playing bike tag in Utah.

There were few trees where I lived- more in Alberquerque, but even then, not much there. Gorgeous sunsets, loud thunderstorms, there's even a bit of a peaceful quiet out there at times (again, I was a 12 year old kid). [Smile]

Don't know anything about the dance program.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Albuquerque, so if you come down you'll have to hang out for sure. If you need to come check the place out, we can probably even put you up for a couple days.

My wife is currently attending UNM, and she loves it. We moved here in mid-2005 when she got accepted, with no intention of staying. But we like it enough that we're probably going to stick around when she finishes.

Albuquerque may seem boring if you're used to LA. Heck, sometimes it seems boring compared to Salt Lake. But it does have some cool culture, and fun things to do if you know where to look.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. [Smile]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.