FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why is black bright?

Author Topic: Why is black bright?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I go to bed one day, my screen is on but has the black screen saver and its brighter as heck.

What gives? I could read by that light!!!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
LCD or CRT?
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not, this very problem has bothered me to no end in the past. Especially because I want the "black" in my monitor/TV to be REALLY black, to provide a more vivid contrast to the color of the screen. Even when I turn down the brightness, I can't get a darker black.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Most screens are like that. OLED technology would make it so black is actually black.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
"How much more black could this be? and the answer is ‘None. None...more black’ "

*sidles off sniggering*

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
That may be the best use of that quote ever. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. anti_maven, you made me laugh out loud here in the computer lab. Luckily, it's early enough that no one else is here, but still...

Bravo.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
And, thanks to Hatrack and Google, Uprooted clues in to another bit of pop culture.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
The timing of this is uncanny:

How much more black could this be? 30 times blacker.

[Smile]

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I could have sworn that I saw a very similar article show up a month or two ago.

Edited to add:
quote:

Pendry added a cautionary note about invisible cloaks, making a real-life distinction from the stuff of fiction: People inside them will not be able to see out. By definition, if no light is bouncing off them, none can reach their eyes, either. "You'd have to use signals other than light to communicate," Pendry said.

These sound really similar to the cloaking devices from Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention the magic in Modesett's series.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
The way it's described is just so ominous... sounds creepy, and cool
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that'd help would be to color calibrate your monitor.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

Or, of course, you could just turn off your monitor if you're going to bed. [Smile]
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threadender
Member # 9728

- posted      Profile for Threadender           Edit/Delete Post 
Great link Launchie!

Blayne, CRTs - the actual tube itself - must be slightly biased when on. Even at black there is some excitation of the phosphor coating on the screen. Using the power management rather than a screen saver will turn off the crt, save power and extend the life of your monitor.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Threadender:
Great link Launchie!

Blayne, CRTs - the actual tube itself - must be slightly biased when on. Even at black there is some excitation of the phosphor coating on the screen. Using the power management rather than a screen saver will turn off the crt, save power and extend the life of your monitor.

That's possible, although I'd guess that he probably has an LCD monitor and is talking about the backlight.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
That was my guess. My laptop constantly his a brighter black screen than I would like. But it's just something that is built into them. Oh well.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
LCD screen, 20.1"
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

Until very recently, the lighting system used by LCD monitors has made it very hard for them to reach the same kind of dark blacks achieved by CRTs.
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the government's current standard for blackest black.
I didn't know the gov't had a standard. Is there a standard for the whitest white? Or the reddest red? Where do they catalogue these things and is there a specific department that handles it? The Department of Colors? The Agency of What Things Look Like?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty dang close.

It is often the military. All those billions and billions of dollars, and one of the ways to make sure they get what they pay for is to make standards for absolutely everything that can be bought.

This includes cookies. There is a military standard for an acceptable chocolate chip cookie.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? That's great. I wonder if they have a position open in the Pastry Standards Testing Department. What a sweet gig.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is there a standard for the whitest white?
I don't know if it's the "whitest" white, but titanium dioxide is probably the most common standard for a consistent white.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.nist.gov/
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Reference shots
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.