FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heliogenic climate change: not so much

Author Topic: Heliogenic climate change: not so much
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Results from a few different research efforts were presented at an American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting last week.

quote:
Lean concluded that, over the past 100 years, changes in the sun's output have driven the temperature up by about 0.1 K, but greenhouse gases have had a seven fold effect compared to the sun—0.7 K.

Dr. Ammann also discussed some climate modeling results. He showed that modern climate models that take into account natural forcings do a rather good job at predicting past climate data—they're all within the uncertainty of the temperature measurements. These models and reality only diverge in the past 50 years and, when greenhouse gas forcings are added in, the two match closely all the way to the present.

The message of the talks was clear: although the sun's output is variable, those variations have occurred over a defined range for the last 50 years, with no trend once the variation is smoothed out. It's not the sun, and the only way to get the rising temperatures we see is to include greenhouse forcings in the climate models.

Heliogenic climate change has been cited by anthropogenic climate change skeptics as a more likely cause of observed trends in global temperatures, but it appears that heliogenic effects are insufficient to explain the observed trends. Anthropogenic effects, on the other hand, explain the trends reasonably well.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link, twinky.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wading through all the stuff coming out of the meeting but missed this. Thanks.

On teh other hand, I understand the sun has a liberal bias...

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by orlox:
On teh other hand, I understand the sun has a liberal bias...

[Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it appears that heliogenic effects are insufficient to explain the observed trends.
*statement subject to convenient non-remembering
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
it appears that heliogenic effects are insufficient to explain the observed trends.
*statement subject to convenient non-remembering
This makes me sad. [Frown]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoop see there we go
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

quote:
Since the ice froze at sea level, it will melt to sea level. It physically cannot rise above sea level any more than a glass filled with ice will overflow when the ice melts. Claims of drastic rises in sea levels are nothing more than envirocrat lies.
[ROFL]
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Since the ice froze at sea level, it will melt to sea level. It physically cannot rise above sea level any more than a glass filled with ice will overflow when the ice melts. Claims of drastic rises in sea levels are nothing more than envirocrat lies.
[ROFL]
[Confused]

What the ...?

---

*smacks forehead

Of course! It's that universal time-as-well-as-space constant, The Sea Level. I hear the TARDIS uses it to calibrate instruments.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

It's a good thing there aren't any ice caps above sea level, where they could melt and run down into the ocean.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

But that's just crazy talk, Jon Boy. How would ice ever have gotten there above sea level?

It doesn't have wings! (Crazy talk, I tell you.)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Exactly! I've heard rumors that sometimes ice actually falls from the sky, but obviously that's another enviro-fascist lie. How did it get up there? I mean, we all know that ice floats on water, but it most certainly doesn't fly.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Ducks float on water. So do witches.

Ice is, obvious, made of ducks with witchly tendencies. Burn it! Burn it!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that a bit premature? Shouldn't we get out the giant scales to weigh the icebergs and such first?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
Ducks float on water. So do witches.

Ice is, obvious, made of ducks

::nods::

That's why it can fly.

In Australia they used to have ice that was made of dodos, but it was all used up in early European settlers' drinks, and no longer exists.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(Also, ice turned me into a newt!)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Be careful about lighting ice on fire, I hear it has a really low explosive limit.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

You have to wear goggles. Or you see visions in the flames.
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
So a family of environmentalists goes into a talent agent's office...

"So what's your act?"

The family gets into a gas-guzzling SUV, take their recyclables, and put them in the trash can. The son lights up a cigarette and tosses the finished butt out the window into a protected wetland. They leave all of their lights on while away from the house (using INCANDESCENT bulbs), and they finish off by hijacking and crashing an oil tanker, killing off all the local wildlife.

"Well that sure is something" says the talent agent. "What do you call an act like that?"

"The Envirocrats!"

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[ROFL]
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
Be careful about lighting ice on fire, I hear it has a really low explosive limit.

So what you're saying is that the entire nation of Canada is basically one gigantic powder keg?
twinky
Member # 693

Exactly. Now you see why we're so keen to export all of our oil! We need to keep fire to a minimum up here.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Hmm. But if ice is so explosive, wouldn't it potentially make a better fuel than oil? I sense a Canadian trick.
twinky
Member # 693

Oh no! He's figured out our secret plan to build the ultimate weapon: the ICE BOMB!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Well, I hadn't quite figured it out until you said it, but still . . .

[Eek!]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Smile]
orlox
Member # 2392

More envirocrat lies.
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure whether or not you're being facetious.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

[Big Grin]
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
[ROFL]
Which completely ignores the fact that the majority of predicted change in the sea level is due to thermal expansion of water as a result of rising temperatures and has nothing to do with melting ice caps at all.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks twinky but I would like to add that these new results don't change the climate change picture significantly. Numerous studies over the past 5 - 10 years have come to the same conclusion. This research simply confirms and refines what we have known for some time.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

Except for the rofl part, you realize that is not my sentiment but a quote from:

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Whoop see there we go

twinky
Member # 693

Thanks for pointing that out, Rabbit. [Smile]

And thanks for the additional link, orlox. You seem to have a knack for posting interesting links. [Cool]

orlox
Member # 2392

Thanks twinky! I needed some encouragement today.
[Cool]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.