FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, if they make an "Avengers" movie...

Author Topic: So, if they make an "Avengers" movie...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
...and I'm referring to the long-running Marvel Comics super-team, not the tv series, what would you like to see?

It's pretty much a given that if Iron Man, the rebooted Hulk, and the Captain America and Thor films are hits, they'll try to do the big team.

What other members?

What villains?

What storylines?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. "Avengers" was one of my favorite comics when I was growing up. I stopped reading ~#230, so I've no idea about later stories. My faves were some of the epic storylines -- Kree-Skrull War, Rama Tut/Kang, Michael/The Adversary -- but most of those are way too long and complex to easily adapt.

I can see doing an Ultimates movie though. That could be pretty cool.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
My faves were some of the epic storylines -- Kree-Skrull War, Rama Tut/Kang, Michael/The Adversary -- but most of those are way too long and complex to easily adapt.

Speaking as someone who owns those storylines, I'd have to disagree. They seem complex merely because of the convoluted, self-referential nature of Marvel Continuity (tm). Distill it to the essentials (Like the Dini-Timm animated series did for DC comics or first two X-Men and Spider-Man flicks did), and such stories are easily adaptable.

I can see doing an Ultimates movie though. That could be pretty cool.

But then the audience would be rooting for the bad guys to kill off this team of vile, abusive, dim-witted bullies. And I just can't see the wife-beating coda being a popular ending to the first film.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect it would be hard to do well. Most of the Avengers are sufficiently strange that introducing and drawing them together would come off as either abrupt or cheesy (taking into account the need to introduce four or more of them in a two-hour movie.)

I mean, Captain America is easy enough to explain. But a suitable introduction for The Hulk and Thor?

The first two X-Men movies did a good job introducing a large cast of characters, but they had the advantage of being able to say "all of these characters are mutants, that's where they get their powers. And they're either drawn to Charles Xavier's school, or enemies of it."

I thought Fantastic Four was middling-awful, but even it had the advantage of all the characters knowing each other from the outset and getting their powers from a common, easily identified source.

And, pardon my ignorance... Is Captain A still dead?

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I suspect it would be hard to do well. Most of the Avengers are sufficiently strange that introducing and drawing them together would come off as either abrupt or cheesy (taking into account the need to introduce four or more of them in a two-hour movie.)
Well all 4 of the above mentioned will have their own movies to do the introduction. The Avengers movie would sort of be a combined sequel.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But then the audience would be rooting for the bad guys to kill off this team of vile, abusive, dim-witted bullies. And I just can't see the wife-beating coda being a popular ending to the first film.
I have no idea what you're talking about. No one on the Ultimates team was dumb. The only one that was genuinely scummy was Hank, and surely Cap's pummeling of him satisfied you?

The Ultimates would make a fantastic movie. At least, the first two volumes. This third volume is shaping up to be a real steaming turd.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:

What other members?

Would be cool to see Quicksilver and/or the Scarlet Witch. However, if they were going to include them, they should have introduced them in the X-Men movies. They're Magneto's son and daughter, and it could have been a very cool story arch in the X-Men movies. Suppose there is time to add them to the stand-along Magneto movie coming out.

Other standard Avengers I think of are Antman, Wasp, and Hawkeye. To be honest, I think all three are a little lame in the comics, and probably would be lamer on screen.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Vision.

quote:
What villains?
Well in the comics the initial villain was Loki of course. However, I'd imagine he'll be the villain in the Thor movie.

Perhaps Ultron?

quote:
What storylines?
The key for an Avengers movie would be to have an overall story that makes sense with the (usually) pro-government Iron Man and Captain America, the "running from the army" Hulk, and the Norse mythology of Thor. The problem I see is that no such story exists. It's not hard to create a story where Iron Man, Cap, and Hulk team. It becomes a huge stretch when "Oh yeah, there exists an entire Pantheon of Norse gods who are real" gets thrown in.

We as comic readers can swallow a whole lot more than the average movie audience are willing to swallow in a movie.

My best guess for a plausible premise is that the Thor movie uses Ultimate Thor as the base. In this way, Thor is seen by the average person as a super-powered nut-job for claiming to be a god, and in the first issues of the comic it's left ambiguous as to whether its true or not. That way he can be used in the Avengers movie without swallowing that big pill.

[ February 26, 2008, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps Loki manipulating the Hulk would make for a good storyline and villian combo?
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Wow, I just went to the new Hulk movie's IMDB page:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800080/

And Robert Downey Junior is in it playing Tony Stark. I wonder if Iron Man makes a cameo?

Would be fun to see a hero vs. hero fight. Certainly will make an Avengers movie easier if they get these two interacting already.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Civil War. Definitely. <grin>
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeH
Member # 5958

- posted      Profile for JoeH   Email JoeH         Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that such a movie, if made, would reflect The Ultimates moreso than the traditional Avengers.

How about the Red Skull as a villain? Maybe throw in some super-powered lackeyes too.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.