FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The IRS is just going to send me money? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The IRS is just going to send me money?
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm. If you're serious about any of those, we have very different taste in hats.

However, the cowboy ones made me think that maybe I'll use part of mine to get another pair of cowboy boots! I love the ones I got for my birthday last year, and I wear them a lot more than I expected to.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Interesting. I know so many people who just don't file taxes because they have enough withheld at work and filling out the form seems too big of a hassle to them, even if they would get hundreds or thousands of dollars back. If you don't file, but you've had tax withheld, will you get the prebate?

You must file to get the bonus money. That's part of the problem some people are concerned about for the elderly, who Democrats specifically shoehorned into the bill to make sure they get a piece, but the eldery, the majority of whom do not file, MUST file a return in order to get the money.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
These, for instance. Or possibly these. My, there's a lot I like.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
On the tankless water heater system - my husband the plumber says they don't get the water hot enough for him, and he's had several customers that were disappointed in them.

Me, I have to bathe in water so hot it turns my skin red, so these things better work well to get me to switch. As it is, we had to take the scald guard off our water heaters to satisfy my need for really hot water.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I generally like pretty hot water myself. That's not something I'd considered.

Now that you've said that, I'd seriously want to test one myself before I actually bought it. "Hot enough" is such a varied thing from person to person, I'd have to be sure.

Thanks for the heads up Belle.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I was just talking to a friend of mine's sister, and she was wondering how it works if you are claimed as a dependent, as far as the refund goes. She made less than $10K last year, but she makes well over the $3K threshhold you need. She was discussing whether or not to let her dad claim her, as if her dad doesn't claim her, she'd get most of her money back, but if he does, she won't get much back, but she's wondering if that'd get her the full $600.

In other words, the question boils down to: Does being claimed as a dependent matter for the prebate? I didn't know how to answer her, so I thought I'd ask our resident tax experts.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are claimed as a dependant you will not get a prebate.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Thanks for the info. That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so my 18 year old is not eligible for the rebate, since I claimed her as an exemption. But do I then get the extra $300 for her, or no, because she is not eligible for the child tax credit because she's >16?
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. If she was older than 16 as of Dec. 31, you get no extra money for her. And since you claimed her as a dependent, she won't get her own.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the hot, hot scalding water myself and I never had any trouble getting it when we go to visit my in-laws.

I wonder, though, because they always recommend keeping your hot water heater on lukewarm, if there's some over-the-top safety mechanism in them and if it's harder to adjust the temp.

I keep my hot water heater on high and in the winter it's a struggle to get the right temp.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
There are scald guards in modern water heaters that will prevent them from heating the water too high. If you notice that you can't ever seem to get your water hot enough, it's probably the scald guard. I think it depends on the type of water heater you have as to how easy it is to adjust them. In our case, my husband simply removed them, but I don't know if that's something that is easily done after installation, or if it needs to be done before.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slim
Member # 2334

- posted      Profile for Slim   Email Slim         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
If you are claimed as a dependant you will not get a prebate.

I read that too fast and thought it said: "If you are registered as an independent, you will not get a prebate."

lol

Posts: 172 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
What about those of us who had babies in 2008? If the rebate is for 2008, but based on 2007's tax return (when there was no baby), will they send an additional $300 for any children born in 2008 after we file 2008 taxes?
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I think so.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
Edit: Nevermind I completly mis-read the question. It's already answered as much as I could have.

[Smile]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

They're sending the checks out early. The first round of those who did DD should have gotten their money today.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Sending the payments is based on the last two numbers of the primary filer's SSN. In our case, we're in the last section. I can't figure out if we're supposed to get it this week or May 16. The IRS Web site hasn't updated its payment schedule information even though the first payments went out already.

Edited to add: Yes, we did direct deposit.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

From what I understand, the payments for the first round of SS numbers for those who did direct deposit should be completed by Friday. I think they got started early, but the schedule wasn't moved up that much, or maybe it was and they haven't adjusted yet. I'm in the second group of SS numbers for DD. My mom is in the first group, I don't know if she's gotten her payment yet.

I'm hoping to get my money sometime next week.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I did direct deposit this year, because my SSN ends in 99.

On a side note, I've seen an awful lot of comments (not here, things like the CNN article comments section) saying things like "This stimulus check won't help ME at all, because I'll have to spend it all on gas!" To which I have to wonder, what were they going to spend on gas if the stimulus check wasn't there?

Of course, it's a valid reason to say it won't help the economy much, or won't increase consumer spending much, etc. But it doesn't make much sense to me for people to complain about receiving money because they have to spend it on necessities - if that's the case, wouldn't they have had to go without those necessities if not for the stimulus check? I don't get it.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Bloody hell. I didn't Direct deposit this year because I OWED money. I direct deposited LAST YEAR.
I can't wait until July. I need this money now.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Personally, I'm planning on putting most of it in my emergency fund which means it will do nothing to help the economy but will make me feel better. I may use a small amount to help cover some recent unexpected expenses -- this year has been tight because we're expecting a new baby and my husband is in school so when the dishwasher broke all of a sudden...well, anyway. Our emergency fund thanks the government kindly. [Smile]
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, the tax refund approximately equals what I paid in taxes this year. I guess that's still a win. [Razz]
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
What about those of us who had babies in 2008? If the rebate is for 2008, but based on 2007's tax return (when there was no baby), will they send an additional $300 for any children born in 2008 after we file 2008 taxes?

I would guess not- how would they know?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
They will know when you file 2008 taxes, and it will be added to the refund.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I just used the refund calculator on the IRS webpage to determine the amount of my "prebate". One of the things it asks is if you received the child tax credit (Line 32 on the 1040A) and I did not. But what is the difference between that and the "additional child tax credit" (Line 41) which I did have? Anyone know?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I owed this year, but chose to have it direct-debited from my bank account. Will that work the same way as if I'd had a refund direct-deposited?
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
They will know when you file 2008 taxes, and it will be added to the refund.

Ahh. I like to think I'm not easily confused by taxes, but they got me.

Oh, I direct debited. Maybe we'll see this eventually after all.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
What To Do With the Welfare Check
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

He gets a little ranty at the end.

I'm not embarressed, but I might be a little worried. Giant super power starts heading downhill, and to keep people from complaining they are giving some form of bribe to keep them quiet. In America I guess we call that a rebate check, in Rome a lot of my history profs refer to it as "bread and circuses." Keep them fed and give them a good gladiator fight and they won't complain much. And that turned out so well for the Romans.

I wish I could blow mine on something frivilous, but I have to use it to do some maintenance on my car.

pooka
Member # 5003

There's nothing quite like a guaranteed service that is free.
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I got irritated with my bank right after I got my taxes done in January, and I opted for my refund to be direct-deposited. I have since changed banks, do you think the IRS will see my account is closed and send me a paper check instead?
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
quote:
Originally posted by scholar:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Scholar - Have you considered replacing it with an instant water heater? It'll save you a lot in energy bills over the course of the year, and I think there are even tax credits for making the switch.

We actually looked into that, but we are planning on moving in a year. The people at the store said for a year it wouldn't be worth it. But, in our next house (which will be after we have both graduated and so we won't be so poor), we will get one when we move in.
Consider, though, what having a tankless heater will do for your home value when you sell in a year. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find that you can more than make back the cost of the hardware and installation in the purchase price.
This logic would only apply in a world that makes sense. House prices are 15% off their july 2006 peak and the price drop is only accelerating. Rakeesh said the other day some think tanks told him about some healthy "indicators", but if you couple the decline in the average family's wealth from the loss in housing value with the decline in the dollar, the actual net worth of most Americans is plummeting while our total debt is skyrocketing. All the while, all our money is debt (47 min animated video) and the stimulus will all be owed back with interest. Is your family going to make back 100% and more on that money this year, or are you just going to cover some looming expense that was looking more and more impossible?

Now what are the good indicators? Bush's word that increased consumer spending is going to get us out of this little mud puddle? But there is no sign of a bottom.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

What if your grandchild could send you a letter tomorrow from a few decades in the future asking why her struggling family owes the government that $1000 plus all those years of interest (let alone the trillions from the Iraq war--which would be still going if McCain had his way)?

Thanks grandpa! I hope your your car ran better after you finally replaced those parts! I hope your showers were super hot as you liked them!

This stimulus is a disgrace. I admit I'm as much a part of the problem as anyone, with about the "average" amount of student loans at ridiculous interest rates. [Frown]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
I got irritated with my bank right after I got my taxes done in January, and I opted for my refund to be direct-deposited. I have since changed banks, do you think the IRS will see my account is closed and send me a paper check instead?

I wouldn't count on it, but I guess you never know.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Just because house prices as a whole are falling doesn't mean that adding a tankless heater might not make the cost back when selling the house.

The house price may fall, but if the heater takes, say $500 to put in, but increases the price the house sells for (which would be reduced from what it could sell for today) by $550, it would still have netted them a profit.

If without it right now, it would sell for $200,000 and with it it would sell $200,550 and in a year, it would sell for $190,000 without and $190,550 with, there isn't really a difference in the benefits of putting the heater in.

---

I really couldn't say that the house would even sell for more with a tankless system and am not making a recommendation, though.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I'm not thrilled with this refund either. I think that's part of the reason why I want to just put it into savings and not spend it. If they're hoping I won't notice how messed up things are right now just because they send a nice check in the mail, they were sorely mistaken.

Unfortunately, I imagine a lot of other people will think that the government is "doing something" to help the situation.

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:

I'd contact the IRS and ask.
Nato
Member # 1448

Ah, I guess you are right, Squicky. (You should still consider how the "stimulation" you provide to the economy is going to have to eventually flow back to paying off the loan that the stimulus is, of course, so making sure to buy a tankless heater from a company that employs Americans might be important for the stimulating effects, and reducing a home's energy consumption has good effects on the economy as well...)

And now the Google ad is for tankless water heaters.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I'm not embarressed, but I might be a little worried. Giant super power starts heading downhill, and to keep people from complaining they are giving some form of bribe to keep them quiet. In America I guess we call that a rebate check, in Rome a lot of my history profs refer to it as "bread and circuses." Keep them fed and give them a good gladiator fight and they won't complain much. And that turned out so well for the Romans.

Fair is fair: The Romans were not done in by bread and circuses, they were quite socially stable even to the very end. They were done in by barbarian migrations plus plagues plus a spot of climate change. (The first two likely caused by the last.) There aren't many barbarians around anymore, and we have better ways of dealing with plague than the Romans did. The social effects of giving out bread to keep the masses quiet are something else again, but I wouldn't worry about it causing civilisation to collapse.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
We are in the process of selling our house, and our realtors advised us not to do any "value added" type improvements, even the kind of thing that I'd always read you should do before selling your home, like painting the living room. They said that in the current market they will not increase the selling price enough to get your money back. The only things they advise people to spend money on are things that prospective buyers would notice as an obvious negative -- if the toilet doesn't flush or the front porch is falling down, fix it. Since most people won't see a regular water heater as a negative (even if they would see the tankless kind as a positive) their opinion is that it would not increase the sale price.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Fair is fair: The Romans were not done in by bread and circuses, they were quite socially stable even to the very end. They were done in by barbarian migrations plus plagues plus a spot of climate change. (The first two likely caused by the last.) There aren't many barbarians around anymore, and we have better ways of dealing with plague than the Romans did. The social effects of giving out bread to keep the masses quiet are something else again, but I wouldn't worry about it causing civilisation to collapse.

The Romans were invaded by barbarian tribes from the colder, northern part of the continent. If the analogy holds true, does this mean we will find ourselves fighting off the Canadian hordes at some point in the future?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, which is precisely my point: It's a bad analogy.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Another reason why the rome analogy is poor is that we won't have economic and social decline perpetuated by issues with slave populations that are not taxed.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

[Roll Eyes]
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

quote:
An economy based upon slave labor precluded a middle class with purchasing power.
quote:
The widespread use of slave labor meant that common people and landless farmers had trouble finding jobs and thus could not pay for goods and business activity thus slowed.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's pretty much what's happening.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
For the panic-mongers: Real GDP up 0.6% (annual rate) in the 1st quarter.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Yes, which is precisely my point: It's a bad analogy.

Psh. Way to kill the funny, dude.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Fusiachi: as I mentioned in the other thread that was brought up, the only thing we know this early from the BEA (which has become increasingly likely to say things that support the administration) is that "there was a little growth or there was a little decline". We frequently don't know the scope of recessions until years after the fact. That was true of the last one, in the early 00's.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.