FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Galactica recap up to Season 4 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Galactica recap up to Season 4
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
What the frak is going on?

[Smile]

Season 4 starts on 4-4-08!!!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
That was pretty good - there were definitely some good one-liners in there. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that was actually a pretty damned good recap to cover the first three seasons. Pretty funny too.

I. Am. Pumped!

I'd forgotten some of those details. I really think this the final season shall rawk!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

I think there should have been some emphasis on the fact that Tigh is now a pirate. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Wow, that was actually a pretty damned good recap to cover the first three seasons. Pretty funny too.

I. Am. Pumped!

I'd forgotten some of those details. I really think this the final season shall rawk!

Hear hear!

Btw, which details did you forget?

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Is this to be an officially spoiler laden thread?

SPOILER
I forgot all about Athena and the baby. I'm rewatching some of the episodes now, and I realized I'd forgotten some other stuff like what happened at the Temple of Five and the one Cylon coming to Galactica. I'm sure there are more details I've forgotten too, but that's why I'm rewatching some of the episodes.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Grrr - couldn't view it 'cause I'm in the wrong geographic location.

Thanks for the link though Telp, I'll just hover around on youtube until someone posts it there..

Edit to add link to youtube version.

[ March 04, 2008, 04:59 AM: Message edited by: anti_maven ]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
By the same woman who did Lost in 8:15. Very cool.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Loved it
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Something else I forgot, SPOILER
I forgot how gut wrenching some parts of Baltar's Trial was. When Lee questions Roslin about the Kamallah I wanted to crawl under a rock and hide. I remember in the first two seasons when he was her constant champion against all odds, including Admiral Adama! And now it's the other way around, and I miss the old times. But his speech at the end still gives me warm fuzzies.

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, is season three really as bad as people say it is? I've seen the first two, but haven't gotten around to watching three yet, although I suppose that needs to change now that season four is starting soon.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't think so. Personally I like the first two seasons better, but it was newer, and I think it only got harder to write for as they went on but didn't actually get to Earth yet. Three just got a lot more complicated.

I've heard a lot of people say it was just outright bad, but I don't agree at all. Not as strong? Maybe. Bad? Nope.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
Out of curiosity, is season three really as bad as people say it is? I've seen the first two, but haven't gotten around to watching three yet, although I suppose that needs to change now that season four is starting soon.

No, it's actually pretty cool.
The complaint fans had that almost half the episodes were virtual stand-alones, made under pressure from Sci-fi suites to suck in more audience, but it backfired. But the episodes are still great. [Smile]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

They still managed to tie most of those standalones into the larger framework of the story. They turned them into character building episodes rather that plot accelerating episodes. They could've done both at the same time I guess, but what I mean is that they didn't waste any episodes.

Hey Telp, check out the bowling thread, I need to recruit fellow southeast Michiganders for my team.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Will do Lyrhawn. [Smile]
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was watching season 3 on TV, it felt like about half of it sucked. When you have to wait a couple weeks between episodes and then find out that the plot hasn't moved an inch, it's a real let-down, especially after two very plot-based preceding seasons. But I'm watching it again now (about an episode a night), and it doesn't seem as crappy when you plow through it that fast. There are still a few very disappointing episodes in there, though.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the so-called "character building" episodes in seasons 2 and 3 were pretty bad, especially the craptacular Kat-centric "The Passage." The BSG writing staff is great at drama on a large scale- betrayals, war, terrorism, all the big issues. But they're wildly erratic when it comes to the personal angst stuff. On the one hand, they've got Baltar and Boomer from season 1, two characters whose self-loathing was so realistically rendered that it just made you love them more. Same goes for Saul Tigh circa early season 3. But on the other hand, you've got Kat, whose big character moment turns out to be a Cheesy Plot Twist From Nowhere, the flaccid Apollo/Dee relationship (and the annoying Apollo/Starbuck angst that came with it), and the episode about the racist doctor, which was just flat-out terrible.

Overall, most of the good character stuff was from season 1, with some scattered around seasons 2 and 3. But almost all of the cringeworthy moments are from the later seasons. My pet theory is that BSG works best when character development is melded into the main story arc. That's how we got Boomer's "Am I a Cylon?" angst, and Caprica Six's dilemma in "Downloaded." When they come up with single-episode side plots intended to focus on individual characters, we end up with trainwrecks like "Scar" or that one where the Chief gets caught up in the mining ship strike.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I actually loved that refinery ship episode... because it dealt with the massive issue of social collapse and the rise of a new upper and lower class. How the survivors deal with the culture shock of total annihilation is something they never do enough of.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Agreed.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

So any theories on the Final Five?

I think they, as another Hatracker suggested awhile ago, might be survivors from ancient Kobol itself. Why/how they are or are linked to our five characters is still beyond me.

Also the fact that they heard modern music from Earth shows that it is not ancient times down here. It's either now or in the future.

Maybe Earth has been destroyed and the Final Five are from (still playing with the whole Eternal Return thing BSG has going on) there...the last survivors of a Terran cyborg/cylon project... mmmm...

Whatever happenes I'm sure that Colonial Humans and modern Cylons are going to interbreed to become a new race... the "true" Humans.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Bear McCreary, the show's composer said that AATW was supposed to be their version of it, which is why the instruments made it sound a lot more, eastern I guess you'd say. It was supposed to be as if we all came from the same place, but in their worlds, things were just different enough to produce the song that sounded like that, but the same enough to have produced something that close at all.

And I don't see why it'd be ancient times down here. The 14th tribe (13th? whatever) left Kobol in big ships with FTL drives, so, I'm going to assume that when they reached Earth they didn't chuck all that technology out the window. I'd guess that they don't have the same tech as the others do, since they diverged thousands of years ago, but wouldn't you assume that Earth is still a space faring culture?

As for the Final Five (and who is the fifth!), I haven't the foggiest. I do wonder whether or not Roslin is the fifth. I keep going back to the scene where the Deanna (Lucy Lawless) saw the Final Five, turned over one of their hoods and said something like 'forgive me, I had no idea," which leads me to believe that it's someone they seriously harmed in the pat, which I guess could really be any of the four already revealed, but I wonder. But I wonder why the fifth didn't hear the music, or if the fifth is in the fleet at all, or why they all heard the music at THAT moment.

Carrie
Member # 394

I have a not-so-secret desire that Doc Cottle wind up being the fifth Cylon. And they could always backsell the whole "But he didn't hear the music!" issue by claiming he was out on the fleet on medical business or something. [Smile]

I'm also trying to work out when, exactly the thirteenth tribe left Kobol. Some reports say four thousand years, some three - and yet we know of a virus that was infecting humans three thousand years ago. [Dont Know] Ideas?

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

"Adama is a Cylon..."
Lisa
Member # 8384

You're going to believe Leoben?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought we knew who all of them were.

SPOILERS!!!!

Tigh, Anders, Starbuck, Tyrol, Roslin's assistant (can't recall her name now)

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Silly. Starbuck's not a Cylon. [Smile]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If she were, there would be very little need to steal her ovaries.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

But none of the Cylons knew who the Final Five were, so there'd be no reason for them not to steal her ovary.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The whole idea that the cylons don't know who the cylons are strikes me as really really dumb.

What is the possible reason for that again?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
The whole idea that the cylons don't know who the cylons are strikes me as really really dumb.

Agreed. Especially since Six tells Baltar in the miniseries that there are twelve models and she's number six. Oh, but then later on she gets upset with him and says that they don't talk about the other five. I don't even understand how they know that there are five other Cylons.

quote:
What is the possible reason for that again?
To introduce a suspenseful new plot point, sans the suspense? I found the whole Final Five thing the stupidest part of season 3. It's a giant retcon and it shows, especially since the writers apparently didn't know where they were going with it.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
If she's not a cylon, how did she resurrect?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

By not really dying.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

How did she not really die when her ship exploded?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

You and I could both come up with a dozen reasons how it could look like she died there but she really didn't.

I'm not saying any of them are true. I'm saying that when a TV show/movie shows a character dying, you have to take it with a grain of salt.

'Cuz they're often full of crap.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Good point. Though I would argue that the simplest, most obvious answer is that she's a Cylon. Until season 4 starts and we find out exactly what happened, I think it's by far the safest assumption.
Carrie
Member # 394

If you want to know the most recent thing from the RDM and David Eick, go here.

But I'll spoil it anyway, down below.

It's not anyone in the picture, so it's neither of the Adamas, Laura, Starbuck, Helo, nor Gaius.

Who does that leave? Doc Cottle. And a slew of other people.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Hmm. I really, really hope this season doesn't suck.
Lisa
Member # 8384

It's Kara's mother.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

That could actually make a lot of sense.
Lisa
Member # 8384

I mean, she and Leoben are the ones who've told her she has a destiny, right? It would make her the first half-Cylon, with Hera and Nicky being the second and third (It's Nicky, right?)
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Mmmm... what about Cally?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

But then why didn't she hear the music too? Also, it doesn't make sense to me that they'd save that for some sort of big reveal.

"The final Cylon model is . . . oh my gosh it's Cally!"

I like Cally, but that'd be pretty lame.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Yeah, good points.
*puts on thinking cap*

Lisa
Member # 8384

It can't be Cally. If Cylons could have children with one another, they'd have done so by now.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

New recap movie online:
Revealed

Lisa
Member # 8384

Cool.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the Caprica pilot is a go.
link

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
When Deanna saw the final 5, I assumed the one she was apologizing to was Tigh. I mean, someone ripped his eyeball out.
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Actually, I thought a Doral did that...

But holy crap! Caprica is on!!!
[Party]

TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

She also tried to kill Anders at one point, when they blew up that cafe.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.