FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gary Gygax: 1938-2008

Author Topic: Gary Gygax: 1938-2008
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Gary Gygax passed away today.

I don't have any insightful commentary to provide, just the link. [Frown]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
What!? What!? No!? He can't!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And for those who remember our past discussion...

This I solemnly swear was not in any way shape or form, directly or indirectly brought about by me. So stop looking at me that way.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That guy was weird.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa. I just saw his cameo on Codemonkeys.

Dang.

Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]

Nothing more.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

So, who's starting the fund to get together 5000gp worth of diamond dust?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn. He'll be missed.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
IMed this to a friend, his immediate response was "guess he failed his saving roll."

I think he got a little crazy there for a while, but he contributed mightily to my teenage years. Gods' speed, Gary.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

Can I have his +1 Mace?
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Who wants to take bets his will has lots of references to "loot?"
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take that bet. This is Gygax we're talking about, not some disgraceful MMO gamer.

It'll have Treasure Tables. His decendants will have to roll d% to see what they get.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

What sort of treasure type do you suppose he had?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

What level of the dungeon was his corpse found on?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to know how many XPs he was worth.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
And millions of fans tuned down the dimmer dial in their mom's basement for a moment of silence...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Snarky jokes aside, and while he had his share of contraversies, the man fathered an industry and made a mark that's still distinguishable in half a dozen or more types of media.

Rest in peace, Mr. Gygax.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Quick, find his phylactery!
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

If hes as half as good as he is then he wouldve done the cheap thing and thrown it to the buttom of an ocean.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The immature, bad side of me wonders where he'll go now that the Great Wheel's been retconned away for 4E?
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

You talking about all of the planes? He'' go to Moradins Halls of course.
Noemon
Member # 1115

OOtS (and Giant Tip's news page)

[ March 04, 2008, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Penny Arcade has a tribute comic, with a punchline of course, but a tasteful one.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Something Positive
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
... he contributed mightily to my teenage years. Gods' speed, Gary.

Me, too. And Amen.

Where's a cleric when you really need one?
[Cry]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Order of the Stick

[edit: oops, someone already posted this]

[ March 05, 2008, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

They did? I must have missed it.

Questionable Content

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Best comment thus far: "He will be critically missed."
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Sure there is; Coffee of Doom's chalkboard is usually worth reading.

[Edit--that was in response to a now-deleted comment by aspectre that the QC I linked to didn't make any mention of Gygax.]

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I read the chalkboard after posting on a "just to recheck", then deleted.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'm on my way to EI now!

[Edit--that was in response to a now-deleted comment by ElJay. I'm not posting random, babbling comments in response to the voices in my head, honest!]

[ March 06, 2008, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

I figured that that was what had happened, aspectre; no big deal. I only edited my post so that it wouldn't look like I was babbling to the air or something.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

There's a Slate article up now.

Here's his obit from Milwaukee's paper. Some of you may not know that TSR started in Lake Geneva, about an hour or two outside of Milwaukee.

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
XKCD
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Another good obit this time from the A.V. Club.
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw someone write "Gary Gygax: -10 HP!" on a message board. I thought that made a little too much fun of his death.

(In some versions of D&D, I think a character dies at -10 HP; at 0 HP, a character has fainted but can be revived with normal healing as opposed to resurrection spells.)

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by Omega M.:
I saw someone write "Gary Gygax: -10 HP!" on a message board. I thought that made a little too much fun of his death.

So you decide to share it here? Thou confuseth me, adventurer.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Achewood
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
16 Gary Gygax Jokes We Better Not Catch You Making
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding #8 on that list, you can't take someone else's XP! Their items, sure.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
“With his last breath, he cursed the name of Marlon Wayans.”

[ROFL]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.