FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I love In-N-Out. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I love In-N-Out.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only is their food teh tasty, I am now impressed with their customer service.

I had KPC stop on the way home the other day for Double Doubles for us, cheeseburgers for the kids, and a couple orders of fries. (I wanted a shake too but their shake machine was broken.)

I went to take a bite-- and my burger was undercooked. Like, completely raw in the middle. So were the rest of them. (Her Royal Heinzness had already eaten half of it-- aaaaaaah!)

I went to their website, looking for an e-mail, figuring their customer service phone line would be closed.

As I was about to fill out the e-mail form, I saw their CS number up at the top, and that the hours are actually the same as their restaurants' hours of operation. Shock and wonder! Everyone should do this! I called right away, and the phone was immediately and courteously answered-- at 1 in the morning!

The woman was very apologetic. Said that this should NEVER happen, that she completely understood why I would be upset, especially as I'm pregnant and a 1- and 3-year-old were eating the burgers before I caught it, and that she was going to call the manager of the store I was at right away. She also asked if they could send me certificates for replacement burgers to compensate, even though I told her we nuked the burgers and ate them anyway.

In today's mail I got a letter from her apologizing again, and informing me that she had spoken to not only the manager of that store, but also the division manager for the area, about the problem. Enclosed are four "guest checks" for not just the burgers we had a problem with-- but offering "any burger, fries, and beverage on our menu." They really went the extra mile to apologize and make it up to us (though I could argue that all businesses should do this, the truth is most don't.)

I am very happy to have actually had a really nice customer service experience for a change.

I am especially really impressed to know that they keep their CS line open the same hours as their restaurants. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I, as well, <3 In-N-Out. Unfortunately, I am now a vegetarian.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That is impressive, kq. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
In a world full of fast food joints, it makes good business sense to try and stand out from the crowd. I've never tried to get ahold of a McDonald's customer service line, but I somehow doubt it would be up to that standard.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Fast Food Nation, while generally down on fast food establishments in specific and as a whole, spoke glowingly of In N Out. Apparently in addition to having great customer service, they also treat their employees like actual human beings.

Kind've sorry I've never gotten a chance to eat there.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
They do treat their employees wonderfully! Not only do they pay full-time employees a living wage (they actually start even part-time HS students well above minimum), and offer training and promotion from within, with good raise and bonus structure, they even have partial tuition compensation programs to help employees get through college. I have a friend who supported herself, living independently, through college with no help from her parents and limited access to financial aid (her parents were rich but didn't want her to go to college-- long story) working at In-N-Out, almost unheard of at a fast-food joint. And she had only glowing things to say about the way they treated a co-worker who developed breast cancer while there.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:

The kind of vegetarian who won't eat anything that has ever touched anything that's touched meat (like a griddle?) Or the kind that can still go and have a grilled cheese with a side of fries and a shake?
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Le sigh. Yet another reason I really, really, really miss living in California. Five Guys (the best local chain out here in D.C.) just isn't the same.

When I was in high school, everyone wanted to work at In-N-Out. They paid a minimum of $10 an hour (this was six years ago), and the employees were actually happy about going to work.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
In a world full of fast food joints, it makes good business sense to try and stand out from the crowd. I've never tried to get ahold of a McDonald's customer service line, but I somehow doubt it would be up to that standard.

Actually, of all nationally franchised the fast-food restaurants out there, McDonalds is probably the only one that does this. The rest of them just say "Okay, thanks for calling." McDonalds is the only one that actually sends you coupons for a free meal.

I have to say I'd rather have an undercooked In-N-Out burger than an undercooked McDonalds burger.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
They are building my towns first In-N-Out burger less then 10 minutes from my house!

*eeeeeee*

*happy dance*

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
Le sigh. Yet another reason I really, really, really miss living in California.

Same thing for me, except with Arizona. They built the first one in Tucson about three months before I left, and since I didn't have a car (and had never been there before), it was always a treat.

Stupid east coast.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have been wishing it was totally raw. [ROFL] I also would have requested it with a big hunk of fat, but that's me. Hee hee. There's a burger joint in Highland Park in Dallas, TX that will serve you basically a raw burger, but I don't live near there anymore.

That is some good customer service.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
The service at the local In-And-Out in Milpitas is wonderful. They always have a BIG smile for you and seem excited to be serving you. I know it's an act, but it really makes me want to go there. It's such a difference from the zombie expressions you get at other places.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work at In-N-Out. It's true that they treat employees well and they really care about customer service. There are no In-N-Outs here in northern Utah, but another burger place just opened up that copies their menu and the burgers, though not as good as real In-N-Out, are fairly decent facsimiles.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
In-n-Out's coverage area is limited by the range of their delivery trucks because they don't freeze their ingredients, right?

Upon returning to California last year I was bummed to learn that they no longer make burgers larger than a 4x4. Some new corporate policy. A 6x6 or 7x7 had long been a lunchtime stapte.

My record was a 13x13.

Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:

The kind of vegetarian who won't eat anything that has ever touched anything that's touched meat (like a griddle?) Or the kind that can still go and have a grilled cheese with a side of fries and a shake?
As my vegetarianism is symbolic, the latter. Besides, their fries aren't cooked in lard. [Smile]
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In-n-Out's coverage area is limited by the range of their delivery trucks because they don't freeze their ingredients, right?
It is a supply chain issue, though I don't know if it's just a freezing thing. You could always use a refrigerated truck that just kept the food at refrigerator temperatures. I think it has more to do with having preferred venders in the SoCal region and it being cost prohibitive to transport supplies from those venders beyond a certain distance.

There was also an element of keeping them all close enough that it was easy to for the corporate people to get around to all the stores to verify that quality and service standards were being maintained.

I hadn't heard about the 4x4 max. That's too bad. When I worked there some people would come in for their birthday and get a burger with as many patties as their age and share it with their friends.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I went to take a bite-- and my burger was undercooked. Like, completely raw in the middle. So were the rest of them. (Her Royal Heinzness had already eaten half of it-- aaaaaaah!)

This happened to me as well.

And their fries are like styrofoam.

Looks like you've got a better one than in my neck of the woods. [Wink]

Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

Their fries always were a bit lacking.
Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with The Genuine.

My favorite California burger chain is Nation's. Top-notch burgers and fries, great shakes -- and -- the most excellent pie.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

Good pies... *drool*
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

In-N-Out's fries are best consumed with the burger, not as their own dish, IMHO. Unless you get it animal style, of course. When I'm craving good fries, I'd rather go to Burger King (I think their fries are also the worst for you, of all the national chains).
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

It's the sugar.
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Fat Burger makes my favorite fries, by far.

So long diet, hellO, In-N-Out [Smile]

*sigh*

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
In-N-Out's fries are best consumed with the burger, not as their own dish, IMHO. Unless you get it animal style, of course. When I'm craving good fries, I'd rather go to Burger King (I think their fries are also the worst for you, of all the national chains).

Holy crap. Someone who actually likes Burger King fries? This...this is a momentous day.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to ask my bro. I believe he consumed a 10x10 last year.
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

quote:
quote:

Holy crap. Someone who actually likes Burger King fries? This...this is a momentous day.
It does depend from place to place. When I was living in Indiana I never found a Burger King with anything but subpar fries. McDonald's tended to have the best, there. However the Burger Kings in California, and at the one place I've visited in Virginia have really good fries.
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to live right next to one, and this was a year ago during a phase when I worked five nights a week. I would grab In N Out for us (with their late open times) at least 3 or 4 times a month.

Now, when I make my own burgers, I wonder why I ever ate it so much. It must be some magical combination of price and convenience and an "it's really, really good for what it is!" kind of mentality.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
quote:

Actually, of all nationally franchised the fast-food restaurants out there, McDonalds is probably the only one that does this. The rest of them just say "Okay, thanks for calling." McDonalds is the only one that actually sends you coupons for a free meal.

I have to say I'd rather have an undercooked In-N-Out burger than an undercooked McDonalds burger.

We've never been comped meals when McDonald's messes up. Jack-in-the-Box has been known to send coupons, but they're sometimes rude or you have to wait on hold for hours. And neither of them, to my knowledge, has CS lines open more than standard operating hours.

But totally agreed on the burger-- had they been from anywhere else they probably would have got tossed, not nuked and eaten. [Wink]

adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the fast food chains in central Ohio, I prefer BK's fries by FAR. The other ones are kinda iffy. Wendys fries I have never liked. They're just to mushy for me. McD's fries are ok if they're busy. Because then they're fresh and haven't been sitting in a bin for 20 minutes. I know they say it doesn't happen, but I worked there for a year, and I promise, it does.

There has only been once that I've ever had a bad batch of BK fries, and that particular store in general is not the greatest.

That having been said, I want to go to Cali just for In-N-Out. I have wanted to for several years now.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I love In-N-Out fries! They actually taste like potatoes-- not styrofoam! BKs are okay, I like Carl's Jr.'s pretty well, CANNOT STAND McDonald's. They do something evil to them-- they smell delicious but taste like paste. Eeeew.

Oh, and I saw a guy eat a 6X6 last year. So I don't know about the 4X4 limit, it may be a one-area thing?

The reason I've seen cited for In-N-Out being so regional is that they DON'T franchise. They are all family-owned and insist on keeping it that way for quality control purposes.

cassv746
Member # 11173

- posted      Profile for cassv746   Email cassv746         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes In-N-Out seems like an amazing place to eat! Maybe in a couple years when college isn't draining every penny from me I'll be able to get out that way to try some! [Smile]

For now though I'll settle for BK'S Fries and food. They aren't bad as long as you go to the "good" locations.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I ate at an In-N-Out for the first (and second) times ever when I was in California last May. The burgers were good, but I was unimpressed with the fries. I was disappointed, too, because when I saw them cutting the potatoes fresh, I was excited and looking forward to some good fries. I guess living in Idaho all those years spoiled me for potatoes.

I refuse to eat at any of the Burger Kings or the one Wendys here on Maui. I kind of liked BK's onion rings back in the day, but I never noticed anything special about their fries. My girls prefer curly fries, which around here means Jack in the Box. But they keep discontinuing the burgers and things that I like (teryaki bowl, panido, original ciabatta burger, chili cheese fries...)

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Getting frites at frite stands in Belgium and France pretty much spoiled me for french fries in America.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

There's a place here in Tujunga that has the best onion rings in the world. Great fries and burgers, too, but the onion rings are what you go for. I can't eat onion rings anywhere else any more!
The Genuine
Member # 11446

Regarding the 4x4 limit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-N-Out_Burger_menu_items#Burgers

Some other interesting stuff in the rest of the article too.

Achilles
Member # 7741

quote:
I love In-N-Out fries! They actually taste like potatoes-- not styrofoam! BKs are okay, I like Carl's Jr.'s pretty well, CANNOT STAND McDonald's. They do something evil to them-- they smell delicious but taste like paste. Eeeew.

Oh, and I saw a guy eat a 6X6 last year. So I don't know about the 4X4 limit, it may be a one-area thing?

The reason I've seen cited for In-N-Out being so regional is that they DON'T franchise. They are all family-owned and insist on keeping it that way for quality control purposes.

Well don't come to our local version then. 'Cause they're tastless and foamy. I'm sure there are better In-N-Out's. Just not here.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmm.

Is it a sign of growing up in CA that I knew what almost everything they listed was, and have ordered much of it?

I love me some fries animal style. If I don't get those I usually order my fries "light." I like 'em soggier. I've ordered Neopolitan shakes and a chocolate-strawberry swirl. Biggest burger I've eaten is a 3X3, though, and I always get my burger with pickles, grilled onions, no tomato. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Achilles: have you called and told them that? I bet they'd come out and inspect if they found out. We actually had an In-N-Out not too far away close for a while once while they hired new manager and staff because they had so many quality complaints, did an undercover inspection of the food and service, and decided they weren't up to par. When they re-opened the food was up to standard and the service was great!
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like Burger King fries, too. But only for a rare junk food 'treat'.

My favorite fries at a fast food place are the ones at The Steak Escape. Fresh cut, fresh fried in peanut oil, hot, crispy, goodness! Potato skins still attached even, which I happen to like.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I went to one of these a few weeks ago with my pals Donnie, Walter, and The Dude.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by adfectio:
Of all the fast food chains in central Ohio, I prefer BK's fries by FAR. The other ones are kinda iffy. Wendys fries I have never liked. They're just to mushy for me. McD's fries are ok if they're busy. Because then they're fresh and haven't been sitting in a bin for 20 minutes. I know they say it doesn't happen, but I worked there for a year, and I promise, it does.

You had crap management. When I worked there, we had a 10 minute timer built into the holding area, and tossed fries out if they were old.
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by adfectio:

You had crap management. When I worked there, we had a 10 minute timer built into the holding area, and tossed fries out if they were old.
I must have had crap management too, because the same thing happened at the McDonald's I worked at.

We had the same timer too, but the fries actually being tossed out were a different story.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that management that consistently tells you to ignore franchise policy is pretty much crap management by definition.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

quote:
Achilles: have you called and told them that? I bet they'd come out and inspect if they found out. We actually had an In-N-Out not too far away close for a while once while they hired new manager and staff because they had so many quality complaints, did an undercover inspection of the food and service, and decided they weren't up to par. When they re-opened the food was up to standard and the service was great!

Oh, it was many years ago. I just don't go back.

I'm sure that they have great customer service now, and their crew is different as well, but I usually don't give restaurants a second chance.

We have another local grill here called "Big D Burgers" that I had a bad experience with even longer ago. I know that they've remodeled and even changed owners, but I can't quite get over it.

Edit to add: So my hyperbole is probably off base even when it comes to our local branch. Sorry, it's just a grudge. Please, everyone, go ahead and try it out.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
For good local burgers, I eat at Kopps here in Milwaukee. Huge burgers, awesome custard and the greatest Onion Rings ever created by man.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Kopps! We stopped there once when I was eight or nine, and I still have good memories of their burgers.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
The In-N-Out in Vegas will make you a lo-carb burger that has a wrapper of lettuce instead of a bun. Not that I would ever try it. But last time I was there, it looked like about 1 in 3 burgers went out that way.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

All In-N-Outs will. It's called "protein style."
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
This place sounds really good. If I ever make it out to the west coast I'll have to try it.

I find myself really liking most BK food, esp. the fries, and detesting Mcd's.

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.