FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Watchmen Posters (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New Watchmen Posters
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Check 'em out.

I'm pretty impressed, especially with the Comedian. Whoever that is playing him really nails it in that shot.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, Ozymandias looks awful.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

He's a little Steve Buscemi lookin, eh?
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I knew the Gibbons design wouldn't translate well in his case, but he looks like he stepped out of a Schumacher super-hero flick.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

I'm not sure it's THAT bad, but the nipples are excessive.

EDIT - I hope the Night Owl will be able to turn his head.

Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought they learned from Batman not to show the nipples.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Rorsharch. They caught the platform shoes. [Smile]

quote:
I thought they learned from Batman not to show the nipples.
Those last movies failed on far, far more issues than nipples.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
I'm pretty impressed, especially with the Comedian. Whoever that is playing him really nails it in that shot.

That was my first reaction too. He just looks... right.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed the armor nipples but figured it was an intentional thing for Ozymandias only - He's the most intentionally self-manufactured and marketted of the Watchmen heroes, the most vain, etc. I think the overly sculpted chest works for the character. His face looks really thin, though, and I imagine he's going for "intense" expression there but it doesn't quite work.

Comedian and Rorschach look good, though.
I think the pictures just made the movie "real" for me - there's been talk of a Watchmen movie for so long that I didn't really believe it until seeing something physical, you know?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Despite feeling this movie is very unnecessary, and feeling occasional bouts of dread, these look pretty good.

I am okay with Ozymandias. He looks the way I have always mentally summed up the character. A skinny tool wearing a big ego.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Nite Owl looks like Batman and Rosarch looks like the joker. The others remind me very strongly of Batman characters too. Are they supposed to?
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Nite Owl is based on the original Blue Beetle, and Rorschach is based on the Question. I thought Nite Owl looked perfect, btw.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

I really like how effectively they modernized the costumes. If they'd tried to do convey, exactly, the costuming as drawn, it would've looked campy at best. If they'd gone for overly perfect, super-bad suits it would've felt too fake. The way the costumes are now, I can believe that the people wearing them produced them.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by porcelain girl:
I am okay with Ozymandias. He looks the way I have always mentally summed up the character. A skinny tool wearing a big ego.

The next time a fanboy tries to convince me Veidt is the -real- hero of the story, I am so quoting you. [Big Grin]
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I note Dr. Manhattan isn't shown. Guess we'll have to wait to see the glowing blue nudist.
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea who the Watchmen are, but the Commedian has a smiley on his left shoulder. [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
I note Dr. Manhattan isn't shown. Guess we'll have to wait to see the glowing blue nudist.

I'm trying to figure out what they're going to do about Dr. M. Are they going to give him a costume? They're certainly not going to let him prance around naked the whole movie, but they can't remove his genitalia without removing some pretty important aspects of the character.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Pull the old Austin Powers trick?
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
The Comedian is played by Jefferey Dean Morgan, who I wouldn't have pegged to play him, but it should be cool. I can't wait for this movie

*goes off to read the book again*

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Lisa is correct. The major Watchmen characters roughly break down like this:

*very minor spoilers.*

• Dr. Manhattan: Loosely based on the Silver Age Captain Atom. A man who gains godlike powers at a terrible price.
  • Rorschach: Based loosely on the Steve Ditko version of the Question, but also strongly on Mister A, a far more severe and ruthless character. Also something of a meta-commentary on the tendency in 1980s super-hero comics to have glorified psychotic vigilantes. As Alan Moore demonstrates, a truly psychotic character would not be "cool".
  • Nite Owl II: Based loosely on the Ted Kord version of Blue Beetle. Became a super-hero because he was something of a gadget geek and a fanboy. The closest thing you'll find to a pure, "normal" super-hero in the cast.
  • Silk Spectre II: Based loosely on "sexy vigilante" characters like the Golden Age Black Canary. Shoved into the costumed crime-fighting business by her mother, but very good at it despite not really liking it.
  • The Comedian: Based -very- loosely on the Peacemaker, a super-hero who loves peace so much he'd use violence to get it. Yeah. There is nothing funny about the Comedian, except in the sense that he finds mankind's self-destructive urge hysterical.
  • Ozymandias: Based loosely on Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt, a super-hero who could use "unused portions of the brain". Ozymandias is a genius, he's rich, he's powerful, he wants to save the world, and (like my sister said) he's an egotistical tool. [Smile]

(Edit: stray "with" removed)

[ March 06, 2008, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
I have no idea who the Watchmen are, but the Commedian has a smiley on his left shoulder. [Smile]

That smiley has a really big part in the story. [Smile]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
[*]Rorschach: Based loosely on the Steve Ditko version of the Question, but also strongly on Mister A, a far more severe and ruthless character. Also something of a meta-commentary on the tendency in 1980s super-hero comics to have glorified psychotic vigilantes. As Alan Moore demonstrates, a truly psychotic character would not be "cool".

I still think Rorschach is cool. Okay, he _is_ rather psychotic, and kind of a fascist to boot. But he's also kind of brilliant, and peculiarly sympathetic, given what's driven him to become what he is... Not to mention that he stays true to his conscience, even at a terrible price.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I read Watchmen I didn't know what characters anyone was supposed to be based on. One of the things that I noticed was that the Nite Owl / Rorschach relationship (they used to be partners but disagree on methods) seemed to really fit the diachotomy of different versions of Batman.

Nite Owl has lots of gadgets, special costumes, vehicles, mostly owl-themed. He's Campy Batman. Rorschach relies on criminals' fear of him, intimidation, and is far more dedicated to fighting crime than the other heroes - he's the one who never quit even when it was made illegal. He's Scary Batman.

After finding out more about the other characters Moore was inspired by, I'm not sure if that was intentional or not. But it still makes a pretty interesting theme.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
I still think Rorschach is cool. Okay, he _is_ rather psychotic, and kind of a fascist to boot. But he's also kind of brilliant, and peculiarly sympathetic, given what's driven him to become what he is... Not to mention that he stays true to his conscience, even at a terrible price.

Moore was targeting the 1980s "crazed killer hero"...he wanted (in part) to de-romanticize and de-glorify them. Show that a truly insane, prone to murdering "hero" would be unable to work well with a team and be rather pathetic in most ways.

Many fans embraced such characters for traits and actions other than the ones you describe as drawing you to Rorschach.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Fun fact:

Moore's earliest version of what eventually became Watchmen featured (believe it or not) the all-but-forgotten Archie comics line of super-heroes! Yup, the (in his own words) "extremely lame" 1960s version of the Shield would have been found murdered in the first issue.

Later it became a proposal for using DC Comics recently acquired characters from Charlton Comics before finally becoming the story of brand new (yet tantalizingly familiar) characters.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by porcelain girl:

The next time a fanboy tries to convince me Veidt is the -real- hero of the story, I am so quoting you. [Big Grin]
I can't believe anyone really claims that. Veidt is a megalomaniacal fruitcake. Murdering upwards of 10 million people to achieve his kind of peace is never acceptable. I guarantee you that if they ever continued the story, his "peace" wouldn't last.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
[*]Rorschach: Based loosely on the Steve Ditko version of the Question, but also strongly on Mister A, a far more severe and ruthless character. Also something of a meta-commentary on the tendency in 1980s super-hero comics to have glorified psychotic vigilantes. As Alan Moore demonstrates, a truly psychotic character would not be "cool".

I think the reason they made Rorschach a nut in the book was political commentary aimed at Steve Ditko and his Objectivist views.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Lisa, in a world where fans embraced The Authority as being "REAL heroes" (totally missing Warren Ellis' point about such a team), can you really doubt there exists a faction who embrace Veidt as a heroic champion of the greater good?

Also, Moore has been very open on what he thinks of Ditko's views, but I highly doubt he included the character solely to poke at Ditko.

Reading Moore's own thoughts, it's more Ditko's work was used to inform Moore's version of a character who truly sees the world in only black and white values.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:

They're certainly not going to let him prance around naked the whole movie,
They aren't? Aw. How disapointing [Grumble]

I love Watchmen. I just read it a few days ago and now I'm reading it again.
I like Rorcharch the best dispite the fact that he's a right wing nutwit. But he has guts, convictions. Plus he's badass.
I dislike Dr. Manhattan the most as he is a wuss. He is the strongest character in the whole story and he lets everyone rule over his life.
At least Nite Owl 2 looks less like a roach, but those muscle suit things sort of bug me.
Especially when they have nipples and manly bulges.
Why are the bulges needed?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

These images are probably of the characters as they were during the mid-60s. The Comedian isn't a heavily scarred wreck, Nite Owl isn't pudgy, etc.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

The last one can't be, since that's definitely Silk Spectre II.
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. So they're not based on Batman characters. I still think that those versions of their costumes on the posters look like bad ripoffs of Batman.

I mean come on, take one look at Nite-Owl and Rorschach on those posters and tell me they don't look like Batman and the Joker.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

They don't look like Batman and the Joker.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Rorcharch looks like Rorchach. Not the joker.
He's got the mask (hopefully they will have it change) unless my screen is too dark.
Now Nite-Owl 2 does look a bit Batmany. And again, these folks need to chill with the bulges. At least Rorcharch isn't sporting one.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:

How so? She was active in the mid-sixties. True she doesn't look like a teenager, but they may be fudging her age at that point in her career for the film.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
quote:

How so? She was active in the mid-sixties. True she doesn't look like a teenager, but they may be fudging her age at that point in her career for the film.
It's two
Her hair doesn't look like a poodle.

But it's hard to tell if her breasts are being held up by a little hook thing.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
It's two

I didn't say it wasn't. That's my point. Silk Spectre II was (officially) active in the 60s-70s.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
quote:

Edit: misread your post. I suppose they could be trying to convince us that that's teenage Malin Ackerman, but I seriously doubt it.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I know it's not Carla, it's Malin...who -is- playing Silk Spectre II. (feeling a bit frustrated, now.)
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
I suppose they could be trying to convince us that that's teenage Malin Ackerman, but I seriously doubt it.

I think Malin's 30. And like I said, they may be fudging her age for the adaptation. [Smile]
erosomniac
Member # 6834

She's 29. The reason why I think they aren't trying to convince us is they actually have her made up to look older in that picture, not younger. She's more mature looking in that picture than I've seen her in any other role she's been in. If they wanted to convince us she was young, it would have been very easy.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Where did I say they were trying to convince you she was younger? I said they may be fudging her character's age for the film. Adaptations do that.

Example: Did Frodo leave the Shire many, many years after Bilbo left...or within the span of days? Adaptations often fiddle and mess with character ages. It happens. [Smile]

erosomniac
Member # 6834

so they'd be trying to make her...in her mid to late 40's, if not early 50's, in the present day?

Edit: or are you suggesting all the flashbacks will be from a time period more recent than the 60's?

Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
quote:

Moore was targeting the 1980s "crazed killer hero"...he wanted (in part) to de-romanticize and de-glorify them. Show that a truly insane, prone to murdering "hero" would be unable to work well with a team and be rather pathetic in most ways.

Many fans embraced such characters for traits and actions other than the ones you describe as drawing you to Rorschach.

Perhaps Moore gets too drawn into his own worlds, and is too good a writer, to spend that much time with a character and not invest in him some redeeming qualities. [Smile]
Javert
Member # 3076

I can't wait for this movie now. I have the Rorschach picture up as my desktop.

Does anyone know if they are including The Black Freighter or not?

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

They are. I heard who was going to be narrating it, but I've forgotten. Puffy?
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Lisa, in a world where fans embraced The Authority as being "REAL heroes" (totally missing Warren Ellis' point about such a team), can you really doubt there exists a faction who embrace Veidt as a heroic champion of the greater good?

Ew. Just... ew.
Javert
Member # 3076

Even NEWER Watchmen poster.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

Ew. Just... ew.
I agree. I read Watchmen again. He is such a NAZI jerk, I can't stand him

Also that picture was cute.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.