FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Amsterdam

Author Topic: New Amsterdam
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this show and Faux had better not take it off the air.
I mean it. I'm getting sick and tired of liking a show and having it ripped off the air when they keep tripe on for years.
It's irratating.

Also someone on the message board about the show was being RACIST.
Racism is so stupid! I'd like to line all sorts of interracial couples in front of him and have them make out just to annoy him.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like it.
The whole, there's only one person ever that you are meant to be with thing is dumb. If you don't even have to be alive at the same time that doesn't give much chance for anyone.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I reckon.
But I still thought it was worth watching just for that neat New York montage.
But I don't think northeast Indians lived in tee pees.
They just use those so that it =indians.
Still, I got to wonder about that one true love thing
It could be several true loves... or maybe just a person who is not a jerk.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree about the teepees - I was screaming at the TV - "NO! Someone do their homework!"

I also think the mysteries are pretty predicatable and lame. There's no real detective work going on. Maybe that will change after they establish the characters a little better, but for now it's pretty sub-par in the plot department.

He's cute, though.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Yeah, he is rather ruggedly handsome... Or unruggedly so.

Didn't Native Americans in the Northeast live in long houses? At least Iroquios (sp) did.

Still, the montage rocked despite the inaccuracy.

orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Immortality is always wasted on those who least appreciate it.
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia: I like this show and Faux had better not take it off the air.

quote:
On Tuesday, October 16, 2007, an article in The Hollywood Reporter stated that production on New Amsterdam had been stopped for an indefinite period, with "seven episodes of the series in the can". The article also mentioned that Fox decided to review the series and then decide whether or not to order new episodes, something that the article writer asserted was considered to be unlikely.
(wikipedia link)
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia: I like this show and Faux had better not take it off the air.

quote:
On Tuesday, October 16, 2007, an article in The Hollywood Reporter stated that production on New Amsterdam had been stopped for an indefinite period, with "seven episodes of the series in the can". The article also mentioned that Fox decided to review the series and then decide whether or not to order new episodes, something that the article writer asserted was considered to be unlikely.
(wikipedia link)

Why does Fox even bother coming out with new dramas?
It's bad enough that The Women's Murder Club might be already canceled when I like that show too. [Mad] [Wall Bash]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
See, this is why I don't bother to watch TV any more.

Or is it better to have watched and lost than never to have watched at all?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Only if it's Hiatus.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the show. I watched the original pilot a couple of months ago, and they changed it a little bit. I think he ran into her at the hospital afterwards in the original.

Also, I was blown away by the fact that he was his son. I didn't see that coming.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Me neither. I thought that was so cool.
But what does this station do? Torment us with some show about plastic surgery and people lying about it while they swap wives and kids and then a nanny comes in to try to teach them how to deal with other people's kids only to find out they are on an island full of people trying to break up their marriage with their masculine and feminine wiles.

porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the tribes that were probably around New Amsterdam at the time include the Montauk and the Narragansett. They are both Algonquin. The Mohawk were around that area, too, but they were Iroquois. Either way, there would have been wigwams or longhouses.

I know for sure that a group of the Narrangansett fled the area of New Amsterdam, but then some loserly public official hunted them down in the middle of the night and massacred them. He was publicly denounced as a murderer from the pulpit by New Amsterdam's first permanent minister (Dutch Reformed Church), Everardus Bogardus. It was quite the conflict.

Puffy and I are direct descendants of Everadus [Smile]

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Porc: That's funny... I'm Algonquin.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Or is it better to have watched and lost than never to have watched at all?"

No, it is better to have watched "Lost" than never to have watched at all."

Duh.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Here are some wigwams that are shaped like teepees, but I can;t remember what the ones on the show looked like:

http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/conn.river/whiteb.html

They usually stayed in the longhouses in winter, and traveled about more in summer.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Nope, reverse that, I guess!

Anyway, I can't believe the show is going to air opposite "Lost?" I guess they do want it to fail, the bums.

I love it. The only thing I don;t like is Amsterdam's goofy beard and mustache in the 1600's.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get to see New Amsterdam because it was on opposite both Lost and Reaper.

I also wanted to see CSI.

So there's 4 shows I want to see all on at the same time and my DVR can only do 2 of them. *grump*

I saw the pilot though, and enjoyed it despite it being flawed.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by porcelain girl:
Everardus Bogardus

That's like, the coolest name ever.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I am going to name all my hypothetical children after our Dutch ancestors from the 17th century.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"his one true love."

What if the love he needs is the love of himself?

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
The immortal detective in New Amsterdam sounds a lot like The Highlander and its sequels. I was amused in the last episode when the hero, John Amsterdam--played by Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (talk about someone who needs a screen name!)--told the little boy all the different ways he had been killed, and yet survived. The little boy, who probably had seen Highlander, asked "What if your head were cut off?" John just replied that he hadn't tried that one yet.

As for the "racism" in the last episode--it was set in 1941, when American society was for a fact very racist. That time cannot be accurately depicted without showing the racism. And Amsterdam bucked the racist mainstream by falling in love with and marrying (defying the illegality of it at that time) a black lady, and that is where Amsterdam's mixed race son, Omar, came from, whom Amsterdam clearly loves and respects, and seeks out for company.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how differently New York might have turned out if the English had not taken over New Amsterdam from the peaceful Dutch, who offered no resistance to the English bullies.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

They weren't so much peaceful as intelligent, Ron. They knew they were overpowered, and decided to give up rather than fight and die.

Remember the first scene of New Amsterdam? Those peaceful people slaughtering the Native Americans? Those were the Dutch.

[ March 08, 2008, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.