FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » College Student might be expelled for running a 'facebook study group' (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: College Student might be expelled for running a 'facebook study group'
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I was browsing slashdot, as I do once a day or so and was taken aback for this. As headlines can be misleading, I followed their link to the article. See for yourself...

Well... you know, as a poor Third-World denizen (TM) hailing from brazilian rainforests, I don't know much about American Universities' regulations about that, but trying to expell a student for setting up a study group in Facebook is very wrong (IMHO) in so many levels it's hard to even begin.

What do you think about it?

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the details about what went on in the facebook group will determine whether this was cheating. The assignment told students to work independently, and the invitation for the group read, "If you request to join, please use the forms to discuss/post solutions to the chemistry assignments. Please input your solutions if they are not already posted." That doesn't sound independent to me.

The principle defense seems to be "this is just like study groups." However, if those study groups are also against the rules, then the real difference here is the record of the cheating, rather than the cheating itself.

Again, whether cheating actually occurred depends on the details of what went on in the facebook group.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The student is no doubt right that this would have set off administrators:

quote:
"If you request to join, please use the forms to discuss/post solutions to the chemistry assignments. Please input your solutions if they are not already posted."
And rightly so. That would be cheating. If, however, it was really a back and forth solution, with no complete answers posted, the student might have a case.

The students should not have put up such a stupid message. The administrators were reasonable in taking action about a group that said on its front page that people were posting answers. There should be some sort of appeal process where the student can show that it really was like a study group, but the burden of proof is now on his shoulders.

edit: and it looks like Dagonee has beat me to the particularly questionable part while I was posting [Razz]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I have a grip with it because whenever I assign any homework to my students (high school or College) I assume they will discuss the subject amongst themselves. [Dont Know]

About the quote: Maybe it was posted to warn forum users to not derail the topic.

Well... as I said before... what do I know? [Confused]

Edited to add:
And... if it was a real-life study group would it be really persecuted? [Dont Know]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
If the group was created with the intention of breaking the "work independently" rule for this specific class, I think he's screwed.

It seems like the teacher is going to great lengths to make these assignments individual (giving out different sets of questions), probably so he can give a fair homework grade.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

If people were telling other people the answers for them to copy and the administration found out about it, yes.

The group's front page said they were cheating. If they weren't, they need to show it, but taking action about a group that outright says they are cheating is reasonable.

I wouldn't have any problem with a study group organized on facebook.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
I wouldn't have any problem with a study group organized on facebook.

Right. But study group DOES NOT EQUAL "can I copy your paper"! (And I don't know how many times I tried to explain that back when I was teaching! [Wink] )
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
If the group was created with the intention of breaking the "work independently" rule for this specific class, I think he's screwed.

Even if that was the intention, is expulsion really the proper first step for the university to take? From what I've seen so far, I would say that it is not, especially if offline study groups with a similar function commonly occur in the school.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
According to my school's stated policy, expulsion is the first step. There is a no tolerance policy and it is supposed to be, you cheat, you're gone. Whether that actually happens...
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
It certainly happened where I went to college. Certainly there were people who cheated who didn't get caught, but those who did went through a trial process with the honor court and were expelled if found guilty.
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

sorry again... I have a hard time believing it's fair (I do believe it happends, but still...).
fugu13
Member # 2859

He hasn't even been expelled, he has an expulsion hearing, which could presumably decide upon some lesser punishment in lieu of expulsion.

I mean, imagine you're the school, and you have an established policy to expel those who cheat in courses. A professor reports a student is listed as the administrator of a facebook group that says on the front page that people are supposed to post homework answers there. What would you do?

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think expulsion is a ridiculous punishment for this behavior anyway, especially considering LOTS of students "cheat" on this very low "homework questions" level (I had a similar class--and don't remember a single person who didn't "get help" on a few questions once or twice, myself included--even though it was usually people asking me for help). This isn't high-level plagiarism or cheating on tests that are worth 40% of the class grade. It's homework questions, which are given out to help the students learn--and making us work independently doesn't deter cheating, it deters learning.

As for this guy's case, why should only the administrator be punished--people who joined the group are just as culpable, aren't they? Do we have any hard evidence of him or anyone else actually copying answers on assignments? Is it against the rules to post your homework questions and answers on any website? Students are allowed to use their textbooks and other online resources, right? I think it's an extremely grey area, and that expulsion is unfair until they have much clearer rules regarding online interaction.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

I think it depends on the professor's policies. If a professor says "Collaborating on homework is not allowed in this class," then collaborating is cheating and should be punished according to school policy. In this case, it doesn't matter whether or not the professor *should* allow collaboration to help students learn.

I worked for the writing lab when I was an undergrad, and the help I gave students could never be interpreted as cheating or doing their work for them. However, there were two or three professors who asked that their students *not* use the writing lab. If I had helped a student from one of their classes, then the help I gave--which was mostly teaching--would have been cheating. We would have undergone an honor court trial if discovered, and probably would have been expelled. Since I knew that in advance, I definitely couldn't make the argument, "But it's a stupid rule!"

Collaboration can be a great way to learn. So can working independently. Sometimes teachers want to know what you can do on your own, and collaboration makes that impossible to determine.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think expulsion is a ridiculous punishment for this behavior anyway, especially considering LOTS of students "cheat" on this very low "homework questions" level (I had a similar class--and don't remember a single person who didn't "get help" on a few questions once or twice, myself included--even though it was usually people asking me for help). This isn't high-level plagiarism or cheating on tests that are worth 40% of the class grade. It's homework questions, which are given out to help the students learn--and making us work independently doesn't deter cheating, it deters learning.
Boy, this is a big paragraph of irrelevance, Launchywiggin.

First of all, it doesn't really matter if lots of students cheat in this fashion-and yes, it's cheating, not "cheating". Cheating is a word that obviously applies here, whether or not it's socially accepted.

Second, so I'm puzzled by your reference to bigger assignments. Is the question of whether it's cheating or not resolved by how crucial the assignment is? I mean, could I cheat on an entire homework assignment and not have it be as much cheating as if I cheated on two or three test questions?

Your deterrence of learning objection is silly, too, because, again, this particular community was-at least in its statement-committed to cooperating on the answers, not just on the process.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

I think expulsion is a ridiculous punishment in this case--that's the main point I'm trying to make.

I think it's silly to draw a single line for "cheating" without looking at the severity of the crime. Do you want to be expelled for accidentally lifting your head during a test and seeing your neighbors paper?

I think the fact that these rules are inconsistently enforced is an issue that needs to be addressed--especially relating to the online world.

I understand the value of having independent assignments in addition to collaborative ones. I think, in the case of homework, which is usually reinforcing subjects that have just recently been learned, that collaborative work is more valuable to education.

I don't deny that what SOME of these students MIGHT have done could be wrong. My thoughts are relating to these issues in general in addition to this particular facebook case.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I do agree that expulsion in general rules against cheating aren't much enforced where doing so would involve a very great deal of prying.

Accidentally lifting your head and seeing your neighbor's paper would not be cheating. Cheating requires intent.

However, it doesn't matter what your personal opinions on the subject are. If their teacher instructed them to do their homework on their own, and instead they collaborated on it-even if they didn't just get the answers from the Facebook community-they were still in the wrong.

You don't get to just set your own rules in a classroom environment.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, let's consider that he's a first year student, and it's entirely possible that he may please stupidity, and be right in doing so.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:

However, it doesn't matter what your personal opinions on the subject are. If their teacher instructed them to do their homework on their own, and instead they collaborated on it-even if they didn't just get the answers from the Facebook community-they were still in the wrong.

You don't get to just set your own rules in a classroom environment.

We aren't just discussing whether he is in the wrong, though. Even if he is in the wrong, I simply can't see that the punishment is appropriate.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slim
Member # 2334

- posted      Profile for Slim   Email Slim         Edit/Delete Post 
I would think expulsion is appropriate, at least it would be at my college. The cheating policy at the university is usually made quite clear in the syllabus the first day.

I remember my history teacher said he was grading our reports when he found one that was plagiarized. He's normally a fun teacher, but that day he was upset. I've never seen him upset any other time. He said, "That student WILL fail the class, the report will go to the dean of admissions, and that student MAY be expelled. I am only half way through grading. If ANYONE ELSE has plagiarized, you can come to my office after class and get your report back. You will receive a ZERO for the report, but you still have a chance at passing the class, and you will not be expelled."

Cheating at a university is serious stuff. Do you want your ______ to be someone who cheated in _______ to get his/her degree?

Posts: 172 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

Exactly what Slim said. The cheating policy was very clear where I went to school. I presume it was at the university in question as well. The whole point (at least at my school) is that it was an honor code. Violating an honor code "a little" is still a major violation.
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

quote:
Accidentally lifting your head and seeing your neighbor's paper would not be cheating. Cheating requires intent.
It's your word against the teacher who saw you do it. Teacher wins.
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, let's take the most pessimistic viewpoint possible and claim that it's simultaneously the most likely. Any college student understands the appropriate way to act while taking exams and everyone that's proctoring them was once there taking similar exams. You're assigning far far to much malice to the instructors.

From his comments in the linked article this guy clearly doesn't understand acceptable ways to work with other people on his assignments. (I suppose to be generous he may understand but just have picked a moron level description for his facebook group, there doesn't seem to be anyway to tell.)

Frankly this story wouldn't have appeared in the media if Facebook wasn't involved, and the only role the internet played here was to provide the record that allowed him to be caught. Which really means that this is no more newsworthy than any other student being accused of cheating.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo_Sauron:
... Well... you know, as a poor Third-World denizen (TM) hailing from brazilian rainforests, I don't know much about American Universities' regulations about that ...

Ryerson is Canadian BTW. Not that is really affects much of the thread so far, but you know, credit where credit is due [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Slim:
I would think expulsion is appropriate, at least it would be at my college. The cheating policy at the university is usually made quite clear in the syllabus the first day.

Cheating at a university is serious stuff. Do you want your ______ to be someone who cheated in _______ to get his/her degree?

In this case, I seriously doubt that the cheating policy addressed this particular situation at all clearly. Maybe it will in the future.

Besides, most schools just have their cheating policies posted, and I certainly have never read ours.

And in this case, the question is whether this is in the spirit of cheating. I would reserve judgment of someone who was caught in this particular situation.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
It's your word against the teacher who saw you do it. Teacher wins.
Oh, I see. So the equivalent of a false conviction means you're actually guilty of a transgression that requires intent?

Just because a teacher says I cheated does not make it true, even if it often means I am punished for cheating.

adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
This is something I've never quite understood about the way many schools are run. The 'zero tolerance' thing, I mean.

I understand expelling the student it this has been a constant problem, or even just happened before. But to expel the student on the first hint that they may be receiving help in the class? To me, the fact that he was running the group makes it look like he was giving more help than he was getting.

Granted, it all depends on the context of the homework, and the group itself. If the group was more of a study group, than I don't understand the problem. But if it was a situation where they just copied each others answers, then I guess I can understand some punishment.

But why not just take about the 10% of the grade that the homework was worth?

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no indication that Ryerson has a zero tolerance policy. Look at their code of conduct. The policy explicity lays out multiple levels of response.

We don't have enough information to judge whether expulsion is a fit punishment in this case nor do we have enough information to rule it out.

Let's be clear on one thing though: providing answers to other students or copying answers from other students is cheating.

If you are unable to study with others without doing these things, you'd best not study with others then. It is perfectly possible to help each other without copying or providing answers. You'll note that this is the sort of help generally given at course office hours or in university tutoring centers.

As to whether expulsion is generally an acceptable outcome from cheating, do you honestly believe that there are college students that don't understand that cheating is unacceptable?

quote:
Besides, most schools just have their cheating policies posted, and I certainly have never read ours.
What's your point here? Your not reading it doesn't mean anything. "I didn't know" isn't an excuse for academic dishonesty.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

quote:
Originally posted by HollowEarth:
As to whether expulsion is generally an acceptable outcome from cheating, do you honestly believe that there are college students that don't understand that cheating is unacceptable?

Yes. More commonly they don't think of it as cheating. But a large number of students technically cheating all the while thinking they are doing nothing wrong.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

adfectio: this isn't "the first hint that they may have been receiving help in class", this is discovering the person is the administrator/organizer for a group with the openly stated purpose of helping people copy answers. That's a bit different.

As for taking about the 10% of the grade that homework was worth, that's an absurdly lenient response to cheating.

adfectio
Member # 11070

I guess we just don't agree here. As I've said in several other places, and anyone who knows me in person can tell you, I'm a huge believe in second chances.

I admit that cheating is wrong. I don't mean to argue that point. From reading that article, It doesn't even sound like there was any cheating. To me it sounds more like bad wording in the introduction to the group.

However, I just don't see how that is any more absurd than expelling him because he took over for someone in an online group where they were trying to help each other do better in a class by helping them work through the problems.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by HollowEarth:

quote:
What's your point here? Your not reading it doesn't mean anything. "I didn't know" isn't an excuse for academic dishonesty.
My point, then, would be that the point I was addressing is too simplistic. The idea that the university's policies are made explicitly clear is probably wrong. This case may be one of a student who broke the rules, but who was not being "dishonest." Dishonesty- and it's interesting that you used that specific word- implies that he is fully aware of the rule, and chose to break it. That may not be the case, in which case he may not be dishonest.

I mentioned myself because, although I've never been in this situation, I can imagine myself in it, and I would not have been forced or even strongly encouraged to know the exact rules. So my point, though I guess you don't want to see it, is that being dumb is not the same as being dishonest. I would personally prefer that this student is educated by his experience- it seems pretty clear that he's trying to do well. I think we need more people like him, and he needs to be allowed to be 18 and slightly clueless.

fugu13
Member # 2859

I'm fine with him not being expelled. And, he hasn't been expelled yet. Heck, depending on the quality of the reporting, that "expulsion hearing" might really just be a general disciplinary hearing. We don't know too much.

10% off a grade is not a second chance. It is getting away with it. Just barely having a chance of passing that class might be a second chance. Only failing that class and having to retake it would be a second chance. Only being suspended for a semester and being able to re-enroll after would be a second chance (which is what most 'expulsion' turns into, provided the student appeals for reconsideration).

All that's clear from the article is that he's denying that it was cheating, and of course he would do that. It might even be true, but he's going to have to show that.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
I think expulsion is a ridiculous punishment for this behavior anyway, especially considering LOTS of students "cheat" on this very low "homework questions" level

I didn't when I was in school.

Lots of people doing something wrong=People should not faces consequences for doing something wrong? That equation just doesn't wash.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
But why not just take about the 10% of the grade that the homework was worth?
Hell, you could still get an 'A' with just that penalty.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Besides, most schools just have their cheating policies posted
I doubt this is true. It wasn't true at any of the colleges I or any of my friends went to. There was a specific presentation covering specific types of cheating. Just because your school didn't do this doesn't mean that "most" schools don't.

Moreover, the syllabus in this class said to work independently. There's no notice issue here.

quote:
he took over for someone in an online group where they were trying to help each other do better in a class by helping them work through the problems.
There's significant evidence that he was asking for actual solutions to be posted. That's significantly more than helping someone work through the problems.

Moreover, even helping someone work through the problems was cheating in this class.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Academic offences are very serious. Those of us who work through our degrees honestly and ethically and who genuinely love academia take cheating almost as a personal offence. I say "almost" because really it's bigger than us personally. A friend of mine found three plagiarised essays in a stack of marking when she was a TA and cried for days, because irrationally, we think it's our fault.

But there really isn't much of a grey area with cheating. "I didn't know" isn't much of an excuse - school policies on cheating are easy to find and it is the student's responsibility to make sure they understand. Every single undergrad class I took discussed the cheating/plagiarism policy on the first day of class. Every syllabus I was handed had a copy of the policy attached. Every professor said outright "If you do not understand this policy, it is your responsibility to get help understanding it." When a student submits an assignment there is an implicit understanding that by submitting, the student is declaring that they have not cheated.

I have no patience or tolerance with cheating. The requirements for this assignment were clearly stated, above and beyond the school policy. A study group was cheating, and "posting answers" is always cheating, no matter how often other students get away with it. Expulsion is not too severe, especially considering he'll probably weasel himself back in within a term or two. I know the kindest he'd get from me would be a failure for the class.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassv746
Member # 11173

- posted      Profile for cassv746   Email cassv746         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading that article to me didn't seem like the guy did anything wrong. He was deemed an administrator of the group. After he had joined from what I gathered. So why isn't the person that was admin before him taking the heat too? This in itself means nothing aside from on the right hand side of the group the admin would be him. Why aren't all the other students who participated in this group being punished as severely as he is? Are they being punished at all?

The way the invitation to the group was worded says academic misconduct to me. However the link to the article says "Still, said Neale, "no one did post a full final solution. It was more the back and forth that you get in any study group.""

How is this different then getting together with a group of your friends and asking each other for help on how to start a question you don't understand?

I'm just trying to understand this. I'm not trying to start or fuel any arguments.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
However the link to the article says "Still, said Neale, "no one did post a full final solution. It was more the back and forth that you get in any study group.""
Which is evidence that will be presented at the hearing, I'm sure.

Still, that in an of itself is a violation of the rules of the assignment.

quote:
How is this different then getting together with a group of your friends and asking each other for help on how to start a question you don't understand?
No one is saying it's different, except that this is more easily discoverable. Both are academic misconduct given the instructions for the assignment.
cassv746
Member # 11173

Ok, that makes more sense. I don't really know how I feel about it because I'm kind of split. We'll see what happens on Tuesday I suppose.
Posts: 106 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

quote:
Just because a teacher says I cheated does not make it true, even if it often means I am punished for cheating.
Of course you're not guilty--but in a zero-tolerance world, you're still expelled. I'm giving the example to show that we need to look closer instead of slapping a "cheating" label on every case.

quote:
Lots of people doing something wrong=People should not faces consequences for doing something wrong? That equation just doesn't wash.
Totally agreed. Did anyone say that?

There IS a middle ground to this argument that doesn't involve cheating students that weasel their way through the system OR malicious teachers that are out to get any student who looks funny.

After looking at most of the points of view, I think that there are too many students that cheat who don't get caught, and go through life thinking it's ok to do that. I do think the standards should be more strictly enforced so students have a better understanding of personal responsibility. I think that until those standards are clearer and better enforced--that expulsion is an unfair punishment in this particular case, because so much is unclear.

I think that the "F" this student received is the correct punishment for his negligence.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Of course you're not guilty--but in a zero-tolerance world, you're still expelled. I'm giving the example to show that we need to look closer instead of slapping a "cheating" label on every case.
Zero-tolerance does not mean draconian penalty, Launchywiggin. That's pretty obvious, although often in practice zero-tolerance penalties are pretty serious.

Anyway, your example is specious. You're not going to be expelled for looking up and seeing someone else's paper once.

quote:
I think that the "F" this student received is the correct punishment for his negligence.
It's hard to take you seriously when you say you take this example of cheating seriously when you label it 'negligence'.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
Besides, most schools just have their cheating policies posted
I doubt this is true. It wasn't true at any of the colleges I or any of my friends went to. There was a specific presentation covering specific types of cheating. Just because your school didn't do this doesn't mean that "most" schools don't.

Moreover, the syllabus in this class said to work independently. There's no notice issue here.

I agree on the syllabus, but I don't think you can speak for all of your friends that way, particularly because a university's cheating policy is probably going to a lot to read. Have you asked all your friends if they were given presentations or were spoken to directly about cheating? It just seems unlikely that you would know if they had.

I remember my high school policy, which I did have to read, being copious, and being part of a 100 page book of conduct. My university is also a very big one- my high school was only 1,000 students. At no time in my university experience have I been all together with the members of my class, or even all the members of my majors, it would be logistically impossible. Now, I do remember going over cheating and the consequences at orientation, but I wasn't educated on the full policy. Then I've had teachers mention at the beginnings of classes that cheaters will be referred to Academic Judicial Affairs, but no word there on policy.

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

ok, Rakeesh. Thank you for your opinion. You could very well be right. I'm glad you don't disagree with my main points regarding looking closer at the case regarding the penalty, whether you're taking me seriously or not.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I agree on the syllabus, but I don't think you can speak for all of your friends that way, particularly because a university's cheating policy is probably going to a lot to read. Have you asked all your friends if they were given presentations or were spoken to directly about cheating? It just seems unlikely that you would know if they had.
I should have clarified it as "any of my friends who I knew in college," which accounted for a couple dozen four-year schools. I had reason to know because I did a survey of the subject for a project I worked on.

Moreover, your assumption that most colleges are more like yours is still just that - an assumption.

Note that I haven't said most colleges do have such presentations. I said I doubt it's true that most colleges just have their policy posted.

quote:
At no time in my university experience have I been all together with the members of my class, or even all the members of my majors, it would be logistically impossible.
This isn't necessary at all for the policy to be presented to all the students in the college (excluding those who purposefully skip such a presentation, of course).
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
At the school I am currently at, students sign on every homework, essay and test that they understand and affirm the honor code. At the beginning of the semester, in order to register, you must sign the same statement and they also include in that one that even if you don't sign it on an assignment, you are still held to that.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassv746
Member # 11173

My professors have just started including it in the course syllabus.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Dag, well if you did a survey on the subject, that makes more sense. It may be simply a matter of my not remembering most of the borientation we were given when I was freshman.

I also recently returned from a semester at a school in England where literally NO orientation to the school was ever given, but then I was an exchange student, and I never went out of my way to find out the rules, because I knew within reason that I wasn't going to be in danger of breaking them.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Every class I've had has at least one notice on the syllabus that refers students to the academic misconduct section in our student handbook. It's my responsibility to read the entire handbook, and the syllabus of EVERY class, not just some, has reminded me of that.

Most of my English classes go a step further and actually quote the policy on plagiarism in the syllabus.

I have had professors that encouraged us to do homework together and said outright if we had copies of tests from previous semsters, it was fine to study them. And, I've had professors that insisted all papers be written independently and all homework done independently. As an adult in college, I assumed it was up to me to know what was appropriate and what was not. I think any 18 year old should be mature enough to do the same.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
Every class I've had has at least one notice on the syllabus that refers students to the academic misconduct section in our student handbook. It's my responsibility to read the entire handbook, and the syllabus of EVERY class, not just some, has reminded me of that.

Most of my English classes go a step further and actually quote the policy on plagiarism in the syllabus.

Same here. I also read it aloud on the first day of class.

Nearly every other term I'd still get someone who insisted they had no idea that it wasn't okay to copy directly from other sources without attribution. "I had no idea!" "Nobody ever told me!" Such wide-eyed innocence.

The saddest, really, was someone who block-quoted from the textbook without any citations (and not just a phrase, or a line, or single paragraphs, but several paragraphs in a row). Now these were from chapters that hadn't been assigned, but you know, I had read the book.

The funniest was the 4-page essay with huge side margins -- each of which was wider than the center column of text.

This is why instructors of all kinds tend to get dour, sour, and pendantic as the years go on.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.