FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cooking up a storm

Author Topic: Cooking up a storm
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
How can I make a recipe involving pork ribs without bones, soy sauce, rice wine, honey and ginger?

Also, now that I think about it orange juice from a small navel orange might work well too... Prehaps I can bake it on a cookie sheet slowly at about 300 degrees for several hours. 4-5 maybe? I don't have any hoisan sauce and I don't know where I can buy it without walking to the supermarket.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to glaze ribs, don't do it at the very beginning. The glaze will burn. And don't cook boneless ribs that long. And use lower heat. I'd say 250 for 1.5-3 hours, maybe a little more, if you want to go that route, although it will depend on the cut of the ribs and the amount you're making.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, actually, I guess there are several ways to do it that I wouldn't have thought of. This recipe has you cooking them hotter and faster, actually. I'd use that as a basis/guideline, and adapt it from there.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. I'll try that.

Unless the fruit stand is open, I doubt I'll be able to get a lemon.
I'll just have to improvise.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You can sub orange zest for lemon zest, vinegar for lemon juice. It gives a bit different flavor but not a bad one. [Smile]
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Ok. So I used-
Orange juice squeezed from an orange
2 tablespoons of honey
2 tablespoons of rice wine
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
5 chinese spices
cinnamon
ginger
garlic
boneless pork ribs

It turned out pretty good, but tough. I marinaded it for 3 hours, baked at 325 for an hour with a top on, 45 without a top.
Next time I will-
Choose meat with more fat and marbling
marinade more.
still goes good with the basmati rice, it has the sweet taste I wanted, so that is good.

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
How can I make a recipe involving pork ribs without bones, soy sauce, rice wine, honey and ginger?

Also, now that I think about it orange juice from a small navel orange might work well too... Prehaps I can bake it on a cookie sheet slowly at about 300 degrees for several hours. 4-5 maybe? I don't have any hoisan sauce and I don't know where I can buy it without walking to the supermarket.

You know, looking at the first post of this, I really thought you were looking for a recipe that didn't have soy sauce, rice wine, honey, ginger- or bones...
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
I don't have any hoisan sauce and I don't know where I can buy it without walking to the supermarket.

May I just say that I love this bit? It's as if Syn doesn't realize that there are shady hoisin dealers selling sauce on the street corner.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.