FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Propose marriage by bringing up the pain of divorce.

Author Topic: Propose marriage by bringing up the pain of divorce.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess Anthony's not -that- comfortable with Liz.

I made a promise to myself that I'd never post on this topic again. But the unexpected way Lynn's bringing about her Grand Finale grabbed my attention. Bringing back Warren (who only actually dated Liz for two...three months back in 2002?) as an obsessed would-be lover. Having Liz panic and fret because she dared to talk to a non-Anthony guy after 10PM. Having Anthony begin his inevitable proposal by mentioning how afraid he is Liz will divorce him.

It's golden. [Big Grin] Lynn, you wacky wonder.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/archives/002987.php

I used to do that.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Puffy, having been through a painful divorce, the strip makes perfect sense to me.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, my parents went through a very painful, prolonged divorce when I was in my teens. I'm not saying I don't understand why divorce makes people reluctant to re-marry. I'm just questioning Lynn's story-telling choice to have Anthony using that way to open the proposal discussion. Even with Lynn's multitude of "Therese was EVIL" retcons last fall, Anthony begged Liz to wait and marry him some time before his previous marriage dissolved. Right after Liz was almost raped. At the exact point Therese was in counseling with him that wasn't working at least in part (thanks to those retcons) because she was going through major PPD. Unless this leads to Anthony admitting the divorce was at least partially his fault, it seems like more gratuitous "Anthony was a blameless victim in it all!" plot-hammering.

Kind of like bringing Warren back into the strip and making him act like such a weirdo, just to drive home that EVERY non-Anthony male she dated was not THE ONE. [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
rivka, my parents went through a very painful, prolonged divorce when I was in my teens.

I know. But while being a child of divorce is a horrible thing in its own right, it is a different experience.

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
I'm not saying I don't understand why divorce makes people reluctant to re-marry. I'm just questioning Lynn's story-telling choice to have Anthony using that way to open the proposal discussion.

I have had almost that identical discussion with two different guys. Neither of whom I will be marrying, ever. [Wink] But post-divorce dating is being realistically presented, IMO.

I completely agree with you on most of the rest. Particularly Warren. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Puffy, having been through a painful divorce, the strip makes perfect sense to me.

Yeah, I can relate too... [Frown]
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really remember much, but wasn't Warren actually an OK guy whose job involved a lot of travel?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Going through my parents' divorce has definitely made ME reluctant to marry at all.

Our parents' divorce was truly awful _and_ quite a long process. Even just logistically speaking.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

<-- 5 years
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/archives/002987.php

I used to do that.

Same...

--j_k, brandishing his sock-flail

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda glad you posted this Puffy -- because I don't read the strip every day ( just when I happen to run across it lying on the breakroom table) so I was really baffled by the last one I saw -- when Warren showed up unexpected and answered Liz's phone uninvited. I was totally lost.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.