FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Blade Runner is too subtle for me.

Author Topic: Blade Runner is too subtle for me.
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
After my neighbors woke me up for the second time around 4 am with their screaming fight, I decided there was no point going back to sleep. I decided to watch Blade Runner (Director's Cut) which I've heard about but never seen before.

The back of the tape makes a big deal out of the question of Deckard's humanity. Now, I got the whole "who's more human" theme watching it. But why was Deckard's humanity in question? A guy left him an origami unicorn and a couple folks asked him if he'd taken his own test. That's it?

Honestly, if I hadn't read the box, I never would have asked myself the question. I'm not sure that counts as a real quandry. How about you guys? Did you ask yourselves the question before anyone told you you should?

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I read the book first and the question of Deckard's humanity was better dealt with in it I think. I'd have to reread it and rewatch the movie before I sort everything in my head enough to answer this. [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
The answer is that it *is* subtle. Nothing is handed to you on a plate.

Everything is ambiguous and that is the delight, for me at least, of the plot.

Deckard is hunting and killing the Replicants, because they are not human, but his actions could be described as inhuman. Who is right and who is wrong? There is just no black and white. The additional hints that Deckard may or may not be a Replicant too makes this just more delicious.

But I'm an über-fan, so don't listen me [Smile]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Deckard's voice-over narration is cut from the Director's Cut. I think it spells out his human/replicant quandry better, IIRC. But lots of fans hate the voice-over. [Dont Know] Personally, I can take or leave it--the VO, that is, Blade Runner is my favorite film. I so want the new version with the little briefcase. *sigh*
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess if Deckard were a replicant, that would kind of be like the Sixth Sense. Or the other way around.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Both sides of the argument are explained here:
Deckard: replicant or human?

and here:
Is Deckard a Replicant?

As for asking myself the question, my brother watched Blade Runner before I did, and just before I sat down to watch it he said to me, "this movie left me with a question. I won't tell you what that question is, but we'll see if you have the same one after you've seen it." After I'd watched it, he said, "so, what's the question?" I hesitated for a moment because I didn't really consciously think about it during the movie, but then I said, "Was Deckard a replicant?" and we discussed it for a while without either of us really deciding one way or another.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
In the novel, Decker did take the Voight Kampf test, and passed.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The director believes that Decker is a replicant. I think the idea is absurd, on the grounds that no one would go to the trouble of building an alcoholic replicant without much combat ability in order to catch other replicants.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it was never really much of an issue in the novel, but the movie and the novel aren't all that similar.

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
The director believes that Decker is a replicant. I think the idea is absurd, on the grounds that no one would go to the trouble of building an alcoholic replicant without much combat ability in order to catch other replicants.

And yet, somehow he was the best Blade Runner they had...
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the idea is absurd, on the grounds that no one would go to the trouble of building an alcoholic replicant without much combat ability in order to catch other replicants.

Seriously. Particularly the lack of combat ability.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, it wasn't just me. That makes me happy.

The inhumanity of man theme was just about perfect, though. It wasn't a happy movie, but I think I liked it.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually they took a lot of the Decker/replicant stuff out of the newest cut.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I really wasn't into the film, other than drooling over Harrison Ford, of course.

The book it was extremely loosely "adapted from", OTOH, wonderful.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.