FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Need Easter cake ideas

Author Topic: Need Easter cake ideas
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be preparing dinner for a family with three little girls this weekend. Now that my children are grown and my own grandson is so far away, I'm excited about making something special for them.

I always made the bunny with a bow tie-from two cake layers in the past, but I'm not sure I want that much cake.

Do any of you folks with small children have any more current ideas? Cupcakes would be all right too.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually go to Betty Crocker for cute ideas.

Bunny Cupcakes

Chick Cupcakes

Rainbow Cookies

Easter Basket Cake

Bunny and Chick Cookies

Recipezaar has some cute ones too but a lot of them are pretty much the same idea, and with pictures that aren't as good or no pictures. I can post some if you want, though. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(We made Easter Basket cakes in Foods class one year-- but we also stuck on a paper handle. Made it even cuter.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and one year in Enrichment we made lamb mini-cakes... They weren't too hard, but I'd have to see if I could find instructions somewhere, and piping little rosettes all over does get time-consuming.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I make a lemon lime "poke" cake. It's made with a lemon cake. After the cake is cooled, you "poke" it with the rounded handle of a wooden spoon then you poor a lime jello mixture over the top. The effect is a yellow and green swirl when cut. The frosting is my favorite part! It is made with vanilla pudding and dream whip. Let me know if you want the recipe. It's tastes like it took a long time to make, but is very easy and quick.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I make a cake where mandarin oranges (in their own juice) are added to the cake batter in place of water, and the frosting is whipped topping mixed with crushed pineapple and pistachio pudding.

It's very good. The golden cake and bright green frosting are very Easter-ish.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
One round layer, cut in half, frosting between the halves. Stand them together, cut edges down.frost all over. Cut 2 bunny ears from construction paper... Betty Crocker bunny cake Jennifer Hiil cakes
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm leaning towards something like the Betty Crocker bunny cake... but not with coconut. Why ruin a perfectly good cake? Might as well sprinkle the shavings from the pencil sharpener over the thing. <shudder>

Those Jennifer Hill cakes are cute, but I'm way out of practice and don't have my equipment anymore.

Puffy, your cake sounds quite ono.

Thanks for all of your ideas.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
When I'm feeling ambitious, I might cook the cake in a 9x13 and cut it in the shape of an egg. My family likes shaped cakes because they get to eat the scraps. I've also done coffin shaped cakes before (for 30th birthday, for instance -- never for a real coffin oriented event.)

We made a tarantula cake once - that one used all the scraps.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loren
Member # 9539

- posted      Profile for Loren   Email Loren         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking of making one of these this year, but I'll be by myself, and that's a lot of work for an audience of one.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.