FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ode to Macaroni and Cheese (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Ode to Macaroni and Cheese
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I need mac and cheese (from a box, of course. Though as I said I prefer store-brand to Kraft.

With ketchup.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Liz, I really can't. It was three years ago and I had a bad cold. I just remember not liking the flavor much and being very disapointed.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

quote:
First made by the Cistercian Monks at Jervaulx Abbey in Wensleydale, using milk from their herds, this cheese is now produced according to a time honored traditional recipe by the Wensleydale Creamery in Hawes, northwest of Yorkshire. It's full creamy flavor offers a clean, lemony tang which tends to sharpen with age. Firm and flaky, but not by any means dry, this pasteurized cow's milk Wensleydale is fragrantly sweet and perfectly paired with fresh fruits such as pears, grapes, and apples.
From igourmet. Which is a good place to order hard-to-find cheeses, if you don't mind paying exorbitant shipping costs.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Re: Adding lemon to mac and cheese, Dag wrote:

"but I haven’t done that successfully yet (it curdles on me)."

Try adding a little of the warm bechamel sauce TO the lemon juice, before mixing it in.

If I was going to put lemon in a cream sauce, I'd just make Hollandaise. Now that I'm thinking of it, I should try melting cheese into Hollandaise to see what it's like.

quote:
I was so excited to try Wensleydale when we were in London, having heard so much about it from Wallace and Grommit.

I didn't like it. [Frown]

I had the same experience. We were looking for lunch at a store in York, and they had Wensleydale sandwiches, so we got all excited. It had the texture of muenster, but bland, with a slightly unpleasant... something.

I've since seen it at Hanneford.

quote:
quote:My daughter puts curry in her Mac and Cheese. It's surprisingly good.

Interesting. That would really cry out for something just a little acidic with it.

She puts something else in it too, but I can't remember what it was. She just used a little curry. It took me a minute to figure out what the flavor was, because it was subtle. I'll try to get her recipe.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I just cook noodles and then put some butter in the pan and some shredded cheese. I don't mess around with bechamel sauce usually.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't have cheddar for quesadillas a while back, so we ended up using wensleydale because we did have it in the fridge. It was yummy.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess what I, the woman trying like heck to lose weight, just bought?
Macaroni.
Cheddar.
Milk.

Thanks, Dag.

Oh, and it was not the Barilla box, but the Ronzoni box!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
; ) to Morbo...

Blood sausage is something that is absolutely nasty and disgusting to me even as a concept. That's haggus (sp?), right? At a B&B in Scotland last year, some of the people I was with were brave enough to get it with breakfast. Ick. Ick. Ick.

Mac and cheese, though... That's a whole different story... I think it's good with tuna and peas. This coming from someone who doesn't even normally like peas...

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

No, Haggis is something else involving a bladder or stomach stuffed with other intestinal parts.

Blood sausage is made with coagulated blood. From reading Outlander, I think blood sausage might be made with blood pudding. When she was making sausage, she would wait until the pig's blood coagulated, then scoop it out.

Oh dear, now I feel queasy!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome, Liz! Enjoy!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Now I need mac and cheese (from a box, of course. Though as I said I prefer store-brand to Kraft.

With ketchup.)

Eww. Just eewwww
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think mac&cheese may be on the menu tonight. [Smile]

I have some leftover yummy pureed cauliflower and garlic that I think I'll put into the bechamal. And parmesan and aged cheddar. Yum.

And wholemeal pasta, in an attempt to pretend it's somewhat healthy.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I do try to eat whole grains whenever possible, but for mac and cheese . . . well, let's just say it doesn't really approximate the experience for me.

I also don't like lumpy stuff like meat or veggies in my mac n' cheese. And I really hate to say it, but while I would probably never go to the trouble of frying my leftovers, I would probably eat it if Dag made it for me, LOL!

Anyway, after reading this thread I turned to my local paper, which mentioned that someone in my town was a finalist in a Good Morning America/Emeril Mac n' Chese contest, so I thought I'd share that link:

Talk about heart attack on a plate -- but sounds yummy!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the homemade mac n cheese I've had, I haven't liked, but I think that's because they're all cheddar based and I don't really like cheddar. One day I'll get around to making mac n cheese with some good cheese.

As to blood sausage, it sounds a lot more disgusting than it is. It's actually pretty tasty.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming but not positive that Wensleydale is a sheep cheese. They're very long wooled sheep, a friend of mine was spinning some fiber from one the other day and it was really annoying and long.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
My daughter dislikes cheese. And eggs.

This makes dinner a challenge.

Indeed. Is it just noticeable eggs, or eggs in batters and such, too?
Just noticeable eggs. But that rules out omelets and frittatas. (Except when I decide she can just suffer. [Wink] ) And she will tolerate small amounts of cheese on pizza or pasta, and the rest of us add more.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
But that rules out omelets and frittatas.
And quiche. [Frown]

quote:

I have some leftover yummy pureed cauliflower and garlic that I think I'll put into the bechamal. And parmesan and aged cheddar. Yum.

Excellent choice. Please post the results.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:
And quiche. [Frown]
SHHHHHH! I don't think she's figured that out. [Wink]

Nah, she knows what's in them. And while she has occasionally grumbled about the amount of cheese, she actually like quiche ok.

I love having a teenager! [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
I'm assuming but not positive that Wensleydale is a sheep cheese. They're very long wooled sheep, a friend of mine was spinning some fiber from one the other day and it was really annoying and long.

Nope. All of it I've seen has been cow's milk.

Wiki says it was origianly make from ewe's milk but shifted to cow's milk in the 1300s.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

That's like yesterday, Dana.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that too after I typed. Looks like another of those weird regions with all their animals named the same thing.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
I just boil the pasta 'till limp, and then dump American cheese in and boil it until the consistency is right.

Shit. I sound like Snowdrop, don't I?

Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

quote:

quote:

Excellent choice. Please post the results.
It was good. I ended up using regular pasta (big spirals) as I had some open. I also added tuna, so there was some more protein - does it still count as macncheese with tuna?

Anyway, I melted some butter and softened some thinly sliced garlic in it until it was smelling great and just starting to turn golden brown. Then I added the flour, made my roux, cooked it a little and then added the milk. Made the bechamal - I actually added the brine from the tuna at the end as well, to intensify the tuna flavour. Then I stirred through the cauliflower puree (which was made from cauliflower, a little olive oil, roast garlic and a little milk) as well as grated aged cheddar and grana padano. I had previously par cooked the pasta, and I added that and the tuna chunks to the bechamal mix, added some freshly ground black pepper (no salt as the brine was salty enough), stirred it all through and popped in into my little casserole dish with some extra cheese grated on top.

About half an hour in the oven, 15 minutes covered so it cooked, 15 minutes uncovered to brown the cheese and crisp the top up nicely. Yum.

The cauliflower was a great addition - it thickened the bechamel, but didn't absorb any moisture as it cooked, so the pasta finished its cooking nicely. It added a nice subtle flavour - a gentle sweetness.

And I have leftovers for lunch.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, wow. That sounds amazing. Did you cook the cauliflower before pureeing it?

Edit: also, how much cauliflower compared to the sauce?

I have to actually get off my butt and cook some soon.

imogen
Member # 5485

Yeah, I'd made the cauliflower the night before, to have in lieu of mashed potatoes. I boiled it until it was tender but not mushy, then pureed it in the food processor with the garlic. Oh, I'd first roasted some cumin and coriander off in some olive oil in the pot and very gently sauteed the cauliflower in that before I added the water to boil it.

After pureeing, I returned it to the heat, stirred through milk and little parmesan till it looked like the right consistency to me. I would have added butter, but we'd run out.

Very approximate proportions only I'm afraid - the cauliflower was 1/3 the proportion of bechamel, I guess. It incorporated really easily though.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
So it was kinda like a cream of cauliflower soup thing. I could get behind that.

I made a really great pasta and cheese dish for KPC's graduation that everyone was WILD over, and it was really simple. I am trying to remember it all... It involved butter, flour, milk, shredded mozzarella, and Boursin (the garlic herb kind-- I don't think the fig and nut kind would be as good, though interesting [Wink] ) over mini shells...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

The texture of the cauliflower was much more like mashed (well, whipped, I guess) potatoes than soup. I drained all the water off before pureeing. But same essential ingredients, yes. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Right, but my quick sub for cream of potato soup in casseroles is to add mashed potatoes to a white sauce. The finished sauce is what I was referencing. [Smile]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

quote:
Originally posted by imogen:
The texture of the cauliflower was much more like mashed (well, whipped, I guess) potatoes than soup. I drained all the water off before pureeing. But same essential ingredients, yes. [Smile]

I went over to a friend's house for dinner once, and she was on the South Beach diet. She made the most wonderful mashed cauliflower.

As for soup, I make a cream of cabbage soup which is really good, which would also work with cauliflower. It is basically onions and leeks cooked in a bit of butter, add about half a head of cabbage, our over a large can of chicken broth, cut a big potato, and add about a tablespoon of caraway seeds. Puree most, leaving some chunks if you want(I reserve about a cup)I then add a can of condensed skim milk.
It is really, really good.
I was thinking it would be good with bits of bacon, ham, or kielbasa, and would be divine with a bit of cheddar cheese.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Very approximate proportions only I'm afraid - the cauliflower was 1/3 the proportion of bechamel, I guess. It incorporated really easily though.
That's all the information I needed. Thanks!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I made the Ronzoni Macaroni and cheese, and it came out too souffle-like. What can I do to take away the "puff?"
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Possibly less flour and butter?

I'm not sure what else could make it puff.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Eggs?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

That was my first thought, but the recipe she posted didn't have any.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

No eggs in the recipe, but I think you are correct about the flour. There is also quite a bit of milk in it.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I didn't go back and look, so I couldn't remember. I don't think i'd mind it being too souffle like if it didn't involve eggs (I don't like quiche and similar things).
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a great recipe for a mac and cheese with cauliflower in one of my vegetarian cookbooks. It calls for the addition of Dijon mustard and a pinch of nutmeg to the bechamel. The cauliflower is cut up and sauteed with chopped tomato, chopped onion, minced garlic and chopped basil. The cheeses used are parmesan and mozarella.

It's yummy, but I don't make it much cause it's a project to make it.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ela, this is a weird question but by any chance did I give you my Cabbagetown Cafe cookbook? I cannot find it anywhere, and I remember giving away a couple of books to a vegetarian friend(and I can;t remember which friend), but can't imagine that I would have given my favorite cookbook away!

(I know it is, in reality, in one of my many piles, but thought I'd check)

Do you have that cookbook? I really need the lasagna recipe from it. I know it mostly by heart, but I still want it.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Also, with this batch of mac and cheese, I made the sauce very smooth. Maybe I should have left the cheese a bit chunkier?
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
You all are killing my good intentions, here . . . I just went to a vegetarian cooking class yesterday and was excited to try out the non-dairy mac-n-cheese . . . and now I'm just plain scared again.

*sniffs*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
Ela, this is a weird question but by any chance did I give you my Cabbagetown Cafe cookbook? I cannot find it anywhere, and I remember giving away a couple of books to a vegetarian friend(and I can;t remember which friend), but can't imagine that I would have given my favorite cookbook away!

(I know it is, in reality, in one of my many piles, but thought I'd check)

Do you have that cookbook? I really need the lasagna recipe from it. I know it mostly by heart, but I still want it.

Nope, you have never give me any cookbooks. [Smile] And I have never seen that particular cookbook. [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Rats.
Which reminds me of rat cheese, which is what we used to call our local New York cheddar, that is still my favorite cheese in the worls.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
quote:
And quiche. [Frown]
SHHHHHH! I don't think she's figured that out. [Wink]

Nah, she knows what's in them. And while she has occasionally grumbled about the amount of cheese, she actually like quiche ok.

I love having a teenager! [Big Grin]

I asked her about this on the drive home. I quote: "But quiches don't taste like eggs! Not the way omelets do." (My reaction: [Roll Eyes] )

She also reminded me that she likes hard-boiled (but NOT soft-boiled) eggs.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Just in case anybody's interested, my daughter's recipe includes curry, oregano, and black pepper. The oregano is the most prominent of the flavors, but she does it by taste and has no idea what the proportions are.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Learning to season and spice by taste is one of the hardest things to learn about cooking, but also the most rewarding. It allows much more improvisational cooking.

And the process is fun. [Smile]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes, perhaps, on the improvising.
In general, though, I am annoyed by the "I am way too cool for a recipe" attitude.
Some things taste good because you follow a recipe, and a cook is not a better cook just because they improvise.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I have learned over the years to both 1) season by taste-- really, in my case, usually smell and 2) estimate amounts of what I'm doing, so I can reproduce it or allow someone else to. If I really like an alteration of a recipe I got somewhere else I'll jot down notes on the recipe (using recipezaar I can even do this with online recipes with no printouts!) so I remember what I did.
imogen
Member # 5485

I often follow a recipe for a specific dish, but when I'm cooking stuff that's fairly easy and I've done before (or variants of the same before) I just guesstimate. It's not because I think I'm too cool for a recipe, but more because it's easier then bothering with measuring cups/scales etc.

I *always* follow a recipe when I'm baking, however. Otherwise things go very, very wrong.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
It's not because I think I'm too cool for a recipe, but more because it's easier then bothering with measuring cups/scales etc.

Amen.

quote:
I *always* follow a recipe when I'm baking, however. Otherwise things go very, very wrong.

Bread is pretty forgiving. Otherwise, I pretty much agree.

The supermarkets have Passover stuff on sale (they're anticipating a bit -- there's almost a month). Including this (I actually saw another brand, but it's pretty much the same stuff). Now, making "pasta" for Pesach is not new -- there's been pasta made from matza meal (ground matza) for 10-15 years, and recipes like this one with non-pasta "pasta" are common.

But see where it says "Gluten-Free" and "Non-Gebrokts"? That's because this "pasta" was made without any grain at all. It's made of eggs, potato starch, and not much else. *shudder*

Ela
Member # 1365

I have to admit to not following recipes to the letter at all. Part of it is for the reason imogen mentioned (too much trouble to measure - I just guesstimate). The other part is that I often add ingredients to my own taste - I know I'll like more of certain seasonings and less of others (especially sugar and salt) in many recipes, just based on my experience from the past.

So I pretty much always fiddle with recipes. [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.