FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Finally Here and SO Adorable! Or, the Mommies with New Babies Thread (Page 9)

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Finally Here and SO Adorable! Or, the Mommies with New Babies Thread
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Christine! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this article on CNN and thought of all you guys...

FDA Nipple Cream Warning

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We took Maggie in to Indy with us today. She slept through pretty much the whole thing (she whined for milk once or twice but that was it.) It was so nice to see a movie in a theater! (We left the older kiddos with my mom.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and the little stinker smiled for the first time-- for my mom. She did it repeatedly. I saw it over her shoulder-- until Maggie saw me. Then she stopped and refused to smile any more! Brat!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cmc:
I saw this article on CNN and thought of all you guys...

FDA Nipple Cream Warning

Yikes! Why hasn't that come up on my daily FDA warnings email?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazel tov, Christine!

kq, Aerin learns things after her dad shows her once, that I've been trying to teach her for weeks. I feel your pain. She also ate Nilla Wafers from my mother, which she wouldn't from me.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
kq -- you're braver than me to take a newborn to the theatre! I'm so frustrated because it's been a long time since there was a movie I actually wanted to go to the theatre to see but Indiana Jones on the big screen is right at the top of my list -- and I wouldn't mind seeing Prince Caspian there either. [Frown]
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably a silly question, but (when flying in the US) will I need to show any sort of ID for my infant? Also, since we are not going to be able to afford a seat for her, should I get a Baby B'air for her?
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You probably should bring along her birth certificate, but check with your airline as to what is required.

As for the Baby B'air, some airlines won't allow it at all, and some babies will refuse to wear it. I'm not convinced it does anything, personally.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm convinced-- we hit turbulence while I was asleep with Emma in my lap, suddenly, with no warning. She was about 10 months. She went off my lap-- but not on the floor, since she was restrained by the Baby B'air.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and I've never had an airline say anything about it.

I've never had ID checked for a baby, either, but they do say to bring a birth certificate.

dkw
Member # 3264

My understanding is that baby restraint harnesses are not allowed during take-off and landing, because in an on or near-the-ground accident it's actually safer for the baby to fall off the parent's lap than to be slammed between the parent's torso and lap when the parent is thrown forward. Since there are no shoulder belts on planes.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, they for sure aren't allowed during takeoff and landing. I don't know about "safer" either way.

But the turbulence thing for sure provides peace of mind.

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
On another forum, flying with babies came up and some posters were adamant that babies should be in their own car seat during flying. Among examples was a very sad one of a baby being killed because a piece of luggage flew through the cabin and hit the baby, who was in his mother's arms. If the baby is in a rear-facing baby seat, there's a lot more coverage and safety from flying luggage. Others pointed out that during turbulence, the baby can actually fly through the air and hit others. The Baby B'air can protect against the second, but not the first.

I don't fly, but if I did, I'd buy a second seat.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
I don't fly, but if I did, I'd buy a second seat.

For someone flying internationally, that is not always financially feasible.
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
If the seat next to you happens to be empty, the airlines will let you have it for a carseat for free. The problem with this is that it seems like every flight I have been on is booked solid. My baby is a toddler now, so still qualifies for free on my lap, but I cannot imagine keeping her on my lap for 3 hours. She is too wiggly now.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a seat for our little one (flying at 4 and 5 months) but were required to take her out of the carseat and hold her on my lap with a specially designed baby seatbelt that hooked onto the regular seatbelt. I initially had her in her seat but on both flights they made me hold her - making the extra seat essentially useless, except for the extra two bags allowed. Might want to check with your airline before committing.

ETA: Baby on lap was required only for takeoff and landing I think, but on a two-hour flight there wasn't much point putting her in the seat only to take her out again almost right away.

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Lissande, was it a domestic flight? Because that's not been true on any of the flights I was on, all approved car seats are approved for takeoff and landing.

I've been on flights where they rearranged people to let us have baby in an empty seat. But that's getting less and less likely as they cut flights and overschedule them more and more. Do always bring a seat just in case, but if you want baby to have her own seat, buy it.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
We decided not to go to Pittsburgh (among other reasons, the baby will not be immunised at that stage).

So we don't have to worry about flying all that way with a very young infant. Which is a relief, I have to say.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
OK so ill break into this thread with good news for my wife and I. We are now expecting our first baby. Its been a long road to conception so I'm yelling from the roof tops.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Smile]
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
ketchupqueen - no, it was EU. Haven't flown to US yet.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Congrats, Rodger. If you'd like to you can share it on the pregnancy thread, too. [Smile]
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazel tov, Rodger! I've had a bumpy road to conception myself, so I can relate.

Anyone have recommendations for double strollers? I think I'd prefer one where one is in front and one is in back to a side-by-side one. I'm looking at the Graco Quattro Tour Duo.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I thought that too, at first, Mrs. M. And indeed, the first few months the tandem was fine. Then they got older and it got heavier. And pretty soon they were old enough that whichever was in the back was messing with the one in front.

Then I got my Maclaren Twin. And I fell in love.

This time I have just started with a Maclaren to begin with. (I even got a new one to replace the second-hand, beginning-to-freeze-up one I had-- it's about 10 years old and was not stored properly before I got it, but it still served me well for a full year and a half. So I expect several kids' usage out of a brand new one. Plus the new one comes with accessories-- infant insert, cold-weather boots, rain cover-- and has a better recline, so the newborn can use it right away if I want her to.)

I adore it. And I got it for $250 on eBay (incl. shipping), last year's model, and not much more expensive than a Graco or something. I suppose the one real advantage was the "travel system" aspect, but we are not using an infant seat at all this time around so that advantage doesn't apply.

I think I posted on this subject in another forum; let me see if I can find my post there and copy-paste it here.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ya know what, I'm just going to e-mail you the link, it's too long.

I have star ratings on my other post; because of the new Maclaren I have, with fuller recline and infant insert, I would now update my Maclaren to 5 out of 5 stars. And I mention Bridey pulling down on the shade, it is indeed very hard for her to mess with it on the new one, so that problem is solved.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

E-mail sent. [Smile]
ludosti
Member # 1772

Congrats Rodger (and the Mrs)!!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

I need some suggestions for coaxing Beanie to take Tylenol. She's still teething on and off (for 3 months now) and sometimes the pain is enough to interfere with her sleep or she'll get one of those low-grade teething fevers (like 99.8F underarm). But, she HATES Tylenol and will spit most/all of it out when I try to give it to her. I've tried mixing it with breastmilk (she's exclusively breastfed) but that only worked the first time. I've tried breaking up the dose into smaller squirts from the dropper (hoping to get less of it spit out at me). I've tried distracting her (with someone else playing with her) while giving it to her. I just don't know what else to try. Yesterday, for example, she was running a fever and really unhappy. My husband helped me try to give her a dose but that just made the crying escalate to screaming (she was pissed at the world). She screamed for 30-45 minutes (the first time she's ever done that), making herself throw up a couple times and breaking our hearts as we tried everything we could think of to help her calm down and cool down (since the screaming only made her warmer). [Cry]

Oh - and does anyone else's baby get a hot head (but not a fever per se, the rest of her is just fine, it's only her head that's hot) when they're teething?

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
How old is she? Sometimes, you can get babies to swallow by blowing gently on their face.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Does she take a pacifier? James used to spit out tylenol, so we would squeeze it into the back of his cheek and put the pacifier in as fast as we could so that he would suck and then swallow. It worked pretty well. Otherwise, I've heard of people gently squeezing the cheeks together a little bit to encourage a baby to close their mouth and swallow. That one doesn't work on James, though.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Cradle her head in the crook of your elbow and use the hand on that side to pull out the corner of her mouth with your index or middle finger. Then drop the medicine a little at a time into the cheek pocket. Keep your finger in place until she swallows. The tension will keep her from spitting.

I've also read the suggestion to ask for chewable tablets instead of drops and crush them and make a stiff paste with a little water. Harder to spit out.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, I just restrain the limbs (sometimes by swaddling), flip the head back, and squirt all at once into the back of the throat, then hold the mouth until they swallow.

I'm mean.

ludosti
Member # 1772

Scott - She's about 5.5 months old.

I'll try blowing in her face (she actually likes that a lot) and the pacifier. I've tried using my fingers and haven't had much luck (it's amazing how well her little tongue can block everything off), but I'll try keeping it there and see if I can keep her from spitting. I've even tried the mean method - that's what I did yesterday - she just vomited it up about 30 seconds later. I picked up a different flavor at the store today, so I can try that too.

It's just so hard, because I can't explain to her that even though the medicine is awful, she needs it to feel better. I'm hoping her fever won't reappear today (she's been having them in the afternoon/night for the last couple days), but she's starting to feel warm to me. After her nap I'll check her temp and maybe get to put some of these ideas to use this afternoon.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Have you been using other methods to reduce the fever?

Undress her.

Give tepid (not cold, not hot, body temp.) baths, as often as necessary.

Place cool, wet washcloths on her forehead and wrists.

Feed her "milksicles"-- frozen breastmilk (you can freeze it in an ice cube tray and then place the cubes in a mesh fresh food feeder.

Those things often help bring body temp down better than tylenol. (Also, tylenol does not bring my eldest daughter's fever down at all, ever. I have to use ibuprofen for that.)

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Had you considered using the rectal form of the medicine?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

I've done most of the other methods for cooling her down. The milksicles are a great idea! I'll occasionally give her half of a small ice cube (half filling the trays designed for making ice cubes to fit in water bottles) in a food feeder and she has fun playing with and chewing on it.

The rectal form is a good idea too for having on hand when I have to make sure she gets the full dose. I'll talk to her doctor when we go in for her 6 month checkup in a couple weeks.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You don't need a scrip for it, you can get it over the counter at your local pharmacy. Just ask, they keep it in the fridge in the back. Ask for "acetaminophen suppositories, infant dosage."
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Sometimes it goes by the name "Fever-all," sometimes it's generic. I've seen it stocked at several WalMarts.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Oh cool! I'll definitely pick some up!
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I bet if you call your local pharmacy, they will either have some or will be able to point you in the right direction without a wasted trip.

Good luck! [Smile]

---

Edited to add: WalMart is far from my first preference, but I've had to direct families in the middle of the night to get some, and there are so many of those that are open 24hrs. Still, most other places should have it, too.

ludosti
Member # 1772

Yeah, I live out in the boondocks. We have 2 pharmacies in town and the 2 grocery stores have pharmacies and that's about it. Of course, none of them are open 24 hours, which isn't fun (the closest 24 hour pharmacy is about 25 miles away). It's kind of sad that, as much as I dislike Walmart, I'm sort of looking forward to when they open the one here that's currently under construction (I'm really hoping it will have long hours or be open 24 hours).
Katarain
Member # 6659

I need some alternative feeding recommendations. This month I have to be at work 4 hours a day, and next month I have to be there 8 hours a day. My husband is taking care of our daughter, but she is having real difficulty taking the bottle. I didn't start her on one early, so she doesn't know how to properly drink. I've tried several brands, and we've had the best luck with the Gerber Nuk. But it's not good enough, and she gets very frustrated. She's wanting to nurse about every 2 hours or more lately, too.

She's about 3 1/2 months old and is very well established at breast feeding and drinks very quickly at the breast. We rarely have a feeding over 10-15 minutes.

What other feeding methods would you recommend? I looked up baby finger feeders, but the two that came up in google aren't available anymore--I don't know why. I think that would have been a good solution. She sucks on my finger, so I don't think she'd have any problem drinking like that.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Sippy cup.

I gave my daughter a sippy starting at 3 1/2 months when she refused the bottle and it worked great for her. She liked the hard top but some kids like the soft top Nuby ones. By five months she held it herself. (Of course my second wouldn't take anything until almost 12 months; I just tried not to leave her but when I had to and she couldn't just go without, my mom would syringe feed her when she wasn't in the mood to drink from a "big girl" open cup my mom held for her. But by then, she was eating enough food that my mom could usually just sneak extra liquid into the food.)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Also, a lot of kids who stubbornly won't drink will eat frozen liquids by the time they are 5 months old or so.)
Katarain
Member # 6659

Seriously? I thought she was too young for a sippy cup--that surely would be the easiest thing.

I'm going to the supermarket, I think I'll pick one up. Might as well try it--and if she doesn't like it, she will eventually.

rivka
Member # 4859

Mine learned to use a sippy cup (with help -- they couldn't hold it properly) at about 3-4 months too.

If that doesn't work, you can use a regular SNS as a a finger-feeder.

Relevant article
And maybe this one.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The one Emma started on was the Gerber "trainer cup"-- two handles, slightly "cushioned" but rigid spout, 4 oz. capacity, with valve.

And yeah, she loved drinking from a cup like us (when I wasn't around, or if I gave her something other than breastmilk, anyway.) She liked to sit on a lap and have it tipped gently into her mouth a little at a time, she got the hang of it really fast.

A lot of moms who EBF but want baby to be able to eat for someone in an emergency introduce a cup as young as 2 months to avoid nipple confusion. You do have a lot more spills, but it totally pays off when they're six months old and drinking by themselves from a sippy cup, and your ped tells you to get them off the bottle by one year old and you say, "Oh, she already takes a sippy cup" very smugly. [Wink]

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else have serious problems burping a baby? I often feel like I'm lacking some sort of basic skill. My babies just won't burp when I pat their backs. I can sometimes get other methods to work, but even then, not all the time. Also, when Duplo's asleep, nothing I do can get his burps out. But the minute I put him down, he starts to cry because they're making him uncomfortable.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.