FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Alice in SciFi-land

Author Topic: Alice in SciFi-land
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
You could all see this coming, right?

Thanks to the astounding ratings success of Tin Man, the SciFi Channel has greenlit Alice, a six hour mini-series that will give the Alice books a similar treatment, probably due out December of 2008.

I predict that in 2009 we'll see Bear, about a bionic ursine of very little brain (but massive blood-thirst) in a post-apocalyptic landscape.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious to see this, but at the same time Alice's source material is already much more sci-fi/dark and therefore probably harder to "revolutionize" though I guess the Wizard of Oz source material is also much darker than the movie which is more commonly referenced...
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
" though I guess the Wizard of Oz source material is also much darker than the movie which is more commonly referenced..."

No, not really.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Depends...the MGM movie cuts out a lot of the killing and weirder stuff, but makes the witch a LOT scarier.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I vaguely remember the book involving fields of poppies that would lull you into a deadly sleep and giant spiders attacking at some point? although maybe I'm hallucinating and remembering some other book...
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally liked Penny Arcade's Strawberry Shortcake parody. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are two of my favorite books. I'm kind of experiencing deja vu though. Didn't they do a TV mini-series not that long ago? As in 1999 not that long ago.

I guess that's nine years though. And this one, apparently, will be a slightly different take as compared to the other mini-series which attempts to be similar to the book most of the time.

But I'm hesitant. If they screw it up, I'm slapping the executives at Sci-Fi. However, I would be interested to see the results if done properly.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
fields of poppies that would lull you into a deadly sleep

Yes.

quote:
and giant spiders attacking

O_o I don't think so!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
They should just do a movie based on American McGee's Alice with Christina Ricci as the lead...
edit: or Eliza Dushku

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

in my defense, there was something about Lion beating a spider in the forest (at least according to the wiki) without actually digging up a copy of the book it looks like there were more dangers thrown at them, but at the same time it might not have been all that more dark than the movie.
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they'll go to this guy
for conceptual art.

(Click on Alice in Wonderland pics.)

I like his Queen of Hearts.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
That guy's artwork is pretty cool. I thought his vision of the Tweedle Dee/Tweedle Dum character was pretty cool.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz was a lot weirder than the MGM movie (and had some killing), but the Wicked Witch of the West was made much scarier in the film and played a much larger role. The first seven Oz books by Baum contained some very freaky, weird, and fairy tale-scary elements that he later downplayed in all books after The Emerald City of Oz.

It should be noted Baum joined all these potentially frightening elements with ample humor and whimsy.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
(at least according to the wiki)

Wiki info should always be taken with a huge grain of salt. [Smile]
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
They should just do a movie based on American McGee's Alice with Christina Ricci as the lead...
edit: or Eliza Dushku

Sarah Michelle Gellar (of all people) currently holds the option to make a film based on that. [Cool]
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Wiki info should always be taken with a huge grain of salt. [Smile]

Understood, but since it was jiving with my vague memory from bygone years I chose to believe it. Is there really no occurrence of some kind of spider-related danger in the books?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Nothing comes to mind, though I've mainly read the first 14 Oz books.
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I while the witch was scarier in the movie than the books, it's the wizard who was different. I believe that in the film version, he tells the group to bring him back the broomstick of the wicked witch. In the book he tells them to kill the wicked witch, the broomstick being the proof that the witch was dead, not the ultimate goal.

I have briefly scanned my copy of the book, and I don't find a mention of spiders. On the road to the witch's house they were attacked by wolves, bees and crows however.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

In later books, the Wizard repents and reforms...and even gets taught real magic by Glinda and Queen Ozma. But yeah, in the first book he has a bit of the ruthless streak.
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read any but the first book and The Road to OZ. I need to go online and download the ebooks from Project Gutenberg. They're on my list of things to read.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Was it the Wizard of Oz that had the city that was filled with porcelain people? That reached Dorothy's knees? And there was a clown who kept trying to do cartwheels, but kept falling over and breaking and needed to get himself repaired?

I think I read this in the 6th grade, and it might very well have been a watered-down condensed children's version.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The China Country was in the first book, yes.
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[QB] Is there really no occurrence of some kind of spider-related danger in the books?

Possible mix-up with The Hobbit?
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We are all threatened," answered the tiger, "by a fierce enemy which has lately come into this forest. It is a most tremendous monster, like a great spider, with a body as big as an elephant and legs as long as a tree trunk. It has eight of these long legs, and as the monster crawls through the forest he seizes an animal with a leg and drags it to his mouth, where he eats it as a spider does a fly. Not one of us is safe while this fierce creature is alive, and we had called a meeting to decide how to take care of ourselves when you came among us."
After the china country, on the way to Glinda's castle.

(edited to add: this is in the first book)

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

hooray for CaySedai showing that I may not be as crazy as I thought
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Yup. Looking at the online version of the text, it happens in chapter 21. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.