FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Breastfeeding

Author Topic: Breastfeeding
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
I lived in the Philippines once upon a time and mothers there breastfeed everywhere. Just today, however, in grand ol' America I saw a mother breastfeeding her infant (no more than six months old) while driving. At first I didn't really see the baby since the baby was wrapped in the mother's shirt but when I did my brain had to take a minute before it realized that what she was doing was quite dangerous. I only spotted the baby because I'm a security guard for a gated community and have to look in the cars at drivers requesting access to the community.

I called the cops.

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Britney must have got the kids back.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually there's one (two?) state(s) that make an exception to child restraint laws for breastfeeding...

...which I think is crazy.

Pull the car over, lady.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom used to breastfeed while driving, but that was back in the 70's.

I can't even imagine not having kids in restraints. Can you imagine trying to drive and them pulling on earings and generally batting you in the face? It would be like that scene in Inner Space when the miniaturized villains are trying to attack the driver of the car.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I could almost understand breastfeeding in the back seat while someone else drove (I would never do that, but I could understand it). But breastfeeding while you drive, that is just crazy.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
I could almost understand breastfeeding in the back seat while someone else drove (I would never do that, but I could understand it).

I have done this, but the kid stayed buckled in.

But a kid on your lap while driving is NUTS. And breastfeeding while driving is just an extra layer of insanity.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
I could almost understand breastfeeding in the back seat while someone else drove (I would never do that, but I could understand it).

I have done this, but the kid stayed buckled in.

I have done this and both of us stayed buckled in. There are advantages to being a bit top-heavy.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done that, too-- both of us buckled in, backseat. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*blink* You mean I had to specify that I stayed buckled in?

quote:
There are advantages to being a bit top-heavy.
Amen!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I've done that, too-- both of us buckled in, backseat. [Smile]

Never tried that. while I am pretty top heavy, monster was very, very particular about positioning. But as long as baby is buckled in, I can't think of a good objection. [Smile]
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't drink and drive.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

If the one who is drinking is driving, then we've really got problems!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My husband drinks and drives all the time.

Usually Gatorade or Sprite.

steven
Member # 8099

This thread needs pictures.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Grow up.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*blink* You mean I had to specify that I stayed buckled in?

quote:
There are advantages to being a bit top-heavy.
Amen!
I second that,sisters!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I've nursed the baby in the carseat (and me properly buckled in) while the car was moving. I'm not top-heavy, so it was rather hard on my back.

My sister used to pump while driving. [Angst]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm just weird, but I can't imagine sitting in the backseat breastfeeding Beanie while we're both strapped in. I end up with something Dali-esque instead. I guess next time I'm putting her in the car, I'm going to have to strap myself in next to her real quick to see if it's possible.... A couple times this spring when we've been running errands, I've sat in the car to feed her real quick, but I can't imagine doing that while driving!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

It's not particularly comfortable. But when you're on a long drive and have stopped a half hour out of every two hours to nurse and the last stop was only 5 minutes ago and the baby's screaming and it's only another 20 miles to your destination and you just want to get there already it's totally worth it.
rivka
Member # 4859

Or you can't pull over for the next 40 miles (no shoulders or turnoffs) and the baby just woke up and is doing a banshee imitation.
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] So far Nathaniel has slept in the car--we took our longest trip (2 hours one way) last Saturday, to visit my parents. I think my they were ambivalent about the baby sleeping--glad that the trip was pleasant for us so that we would bring him back, disappointed that I wasn't getting the treatment I had given them.

Me: Oh, I cried in the carseat?

Dad: Yes. The whole trip. (Pause) Without ceasing.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought of this thread this weekend when Katababy was screaming in her carseat. I finally had to feed her while we were parked in the parking lot. She was able to fall asleep after that. I'm thankful that most of the time she's happy to be in her carseat. I have learned that if she's crying in it, it's probably because she's hungry.

I hadn't read the part of this thread about trying to feed her while she's in her seat, otherwise I would have tried it!

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

Whatever happened to pumping milk before the trip, then giving it to the kid in a bottle?
rivka
Member # 4859

Right, because keeping it chilled -- and warming it up -- while en route is easy. And everyone who is breastfeeding wants to use bottles.

Seriously, when mom can't be there it makes sense to pump and bottlefeed. But while she's sitting right there? [Roll Eyes]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Liz, maybe that's cause car seats when we were kids were pretty awful. [Wink]

And as for pumping, I can't pump. I can hand-express a little milk when necessary, but I can't pump. Every pump I've ever tried, even the really good ones, has caused a bout of mastitis. I do not like mastitis. Plus some kids don't take bottles. Bridget didn't. Or cups. For a year.

Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by steven:
Whatever happened to pumping milk before the trip, then giving it to the kid in a bottle?

Well, just for starters:

1. I couldn't pump to save my life. Both breasts maybe got 1 oz of milk. If I wanted to pump enough to get a meal, I had to prepare about a week in advance. (I had a high-quality double electric pump.)

2. My son refused to take a bottle. If we were gone, we had to find someone highly competent who was willing to dropper feed.

3. If I'm with the baby, my boobs come full of fresh, free, perfectly warmed milk -- unless they've fallen off. :=)

4. Heating milk while on the go isn't easy or convenient.

5. Bottle propping is not a good idea, even if you're not breast feeding.

That's just off the top of my head...

I think the bottom line is that it isn't easy to travel with a baby. We all come up with our own ways of dealing with it. I never did try the leaning over the baby in the backseat bit and with this new one we'll have 2 car seats in the back so no room for mommy. We'll just have to pull over to the side of the road and hope for the best. We can usually (knock on wood) make it to my parents' house 4 hours away with only 1 stop, even with a newborn. (Or could based on our experience with our first.)

Nursing while driving is insane, though. Pumping while driving doesn't seem that bad as the pump isn't alive and can be replaced in the event of a car accident. It's not like it's distracting the driver...maybe the other drivers. [Smile]

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
Pumping while driving doesn't seem that bad as the pump isn't alive and can be replaced in the event of a car accident. It's not like it's distracting the driver...maybe the other drivers.

I can't pump completely hands-free, so it would be quite distracting.
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
Pumping while driving doesn't seem that bad as the pump isn't alive and can be replaced in the event of a car accident. It's not like it's distracting the driver...maybe the other drivers.

I can't pump completely hands-free, so it would be quite distracting.
Neither can I, but I know a lot of women can. I actually thought I was the weird one. [Smile]
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

There's information out there on how to do it: Hands-Free Pumping.

I haven't tried it...I can go sufficiently hands-free to browse the internet, and have no real need to pump while driving.

You know, my baby (sometimes) takes a bottle and I respond really well to the pump, so I can get a ton easily. Even so, actually nursing is so much easier and more pleasant than pumping and giving a bottle (even setting aside storage/ reheating issues), that I don't think I'd do that for a trip. And depending on the length of the trip , if I weren't nursing, I know I'd feel the need to pump during the trip so I wouldn't feel uncomfortable or worry about my supply. And even if I weren't driving, that just doesn't sound like much fun. Pull over and nurse the baby, or get the horns out at 75 mph on I95?? Hmmm...
quote:
Liz, maybe that's cause car seats when we were kids were pretty awful.
[Smile] No doubt. But my mom claims it's because I was so mad at not being entertained!
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Liz B:
There's information out there on how to do it: Hands-Free Pumping.

Yes, I need to try something that would stretch out my nursing bras MORE! [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Liz B:
I haven't tried it...I can go sufficiently hands-free to browse the internet, and have no real need to pump while driving.

I haven't pumped in years, but I could definitely use the computer at the same time. I actually preferred to relax and watch tv -- I got more that way than if I tried to pump while doing something.
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by steven:

You say this like it was once a common practice. Have you ever known anyone who would do something so incredibly impractical?

I have to agree with the others here. Pumping is painful, slow and completely negates the biggest conveniences of breastfeeding - No bottles to wash, no heating to worry about, no worries about running out of milk. As long as mom's nearby, the milk's always ready, clean and at the proper temperature. Why anyone would put themselves through the extra work required to pump, then bottlefeed (unless mom is unavailable for some reason) completely escapes me.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I actually know a few mothers (even one who stays home) who exclusively pump. BUT I would agree that it is not common.
scholarette
Member # 11540

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I actually know a few mothers (even one who stays home) who exclusively pump. BUT I would agree that it is not common.

I know a few people who claim that they are going to do that and very quickly drop that plan- either going to formula or back on the breast. I never had a problem with pumping, but I still hated it (I would get routinely get 4-6 ounces after monster's morning feeding, at lunch time at work, I would fill two bottles and call it good enough).
dkw
Member # 3264

My cousin exclusively pumps and bottle feeds (I think she's crazy, but it works for her [Dont Know] ). She gets about twice as much as her baby will drink and has been donating the rest. The babe is 4 months old now and doing great.
rivka
Member # 4859

I know a couple moms who have done it because breastfeeding was not an option. (Heart defect and severe cleft palate.) Kudos to them; I don't know if I could do it.
Christine
Member # 8594

I've only "met" women who do this through the breastfeeding support board I'm active on. Most of the ones who succeed at that seem to start exclusively pumping by accident...I know a few had premies that went from tube to bottle and never would take the breast. Most of the ones who set out to do this seem to go to formula after a few weeks. Definitely not for me...part of the reason I nurse is because I'm too lazy to make a bottle! [Smile]
Liz B
Member # 8238

There was a short while (for about a week after he came home) when Nathaniel wouldn't nurse at night--would only take the bottle. (Basically, he was so frantic with hunger by the time he had cried enough to wake us up that he was in no mood to do difficult things like latch on.) That was ever so fun. [Roll Eyes] Heating the bottle while the baby screamed, then feeding, burping, changing--and then after that having to pump to keep up my supply. I know eventually exclusively pumping moms can often get rid of the nighttime pumping sessions, but this was pretty early on.

Since for another 6 weeks or so after that I was doing two formula feedings a day, I was still dealing with it--plus trying to take care of the baby and pump at the same time (after he ate).

I really appreciate the convenience of exclusively nursing!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Two of the moms I know who exclusively pump do it because they work and the baby got so used to bottles that they just do it all the time (baby didn't want to go back to the "slower" breast.)

One I know does it because she wants to give her babies breastmilk but was sexually abused as a child and has big, big issues with breastfeeding. (She has 5 children-- well, not counting her step-children-- and has pumped for at least a year for all of them.)

Liz B
Member # 8238

That's amazing. What a dedicated mom.
Christine
Member # 8594

One of the women on my May 2008 group has said she wants to pump for that same reason -- I really hope it works out for her.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, I read that too! I haven't said anything but I hope it works for her as well as it does for my church friend. [Smile]
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, those really are dedicated moms! Good for them!!

I was recently struck by how amazing the human body is. I know all kinds of living creatures do it, but it is just too cool my body can produce food for its offspring! [Big Grin]

I guess I'm really weird, but I've never thought of breastfeeding as being "slow". I think I can count on one hand the number of times it's taken more than 10 minutes to feed my baby. I was really worried about it at first, but I've decided that we must just work quickly together (even when I've had to pump, it's only for 5-10 mins).

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

Nathaniel loves a nice leisurely nurse. His favorite thing is to nurse and nap--he'll stay blissfully latched on for an entire episode of House. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.