FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » There's been a lot of focus on Shia in the "Indiana Jones" hype...

Author Topic: There's been a lot of focus on Shia in the "Indiana Jones" hype...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Such as this new featurette...

Kinda makes me wonder if the rumors of a Shia-centric fifth film are true. [Dont Know]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Rumors of Shia-centric anything are cause for alarm.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Rumors of Shia-centric anything are cause for alarm."

Heck yeah.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally, all that martial arts training in Saudia Arabia is paying off for Shia!

Wait, Sen. Leibermann just whispered something in my ear. . .

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
What about a Shia-centric Y: The Last Man?
Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Shia's definitely active in campaigning for that role.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Cause for alarm.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Maybe he'll be cast as the mon-...no, too obvious a joke. [Wink]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Well lets face it, there is a good chance this Indiana Jones will be a sort of, "The changing of the guard" movie.

It might not, but there is a good chance I should think.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't know whether I like Shia or not.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Is Shia's character really named "Mutt Williams"?

I just can't tell you how much I'm *not* looking forward to "Mutt Williams and the March of the Atlanteans", directed by Joe Johnston, written by Carl Ellsworth, starring Shia LaBeouf and Rachel Bilson....

You know?

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I liked Shia way back in Holes, but his recent efforts have muted that liking. So yeah, I'm hoping he does a good job in Kingdom, especially if he has as prominent a role as they seem to hint at.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
I liked Shia way back in Holes, but his recent efforts have muted that liking. So yeah, I'm hoping he does a good job in Kingdom, especially if he has as prominent a role as they seem to hint at.

I thought he was also great as the eccentric younger brother in the television program Even Stevens.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
He was a great actor for comedies. I even think he's a decent dramatic actor.

In action movies, though, he's a joke.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I would watch a movie in this franchise that wasn't a real Indiana Jones film.

Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones. I'm glad that IV was finally filmed. But I think they should stop. For the sake of artistic integrity.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Well lets face it, there is a good chance this Indiana Jones will be a sort of, "The changing of the guard" movie.

I doubt it for a couple reasons. I'm pretty sure Lucas has veto rights over anything Indiana Jones related, and given how long it took to make this one happen, outside of Shia maybe doing some sort of Young Adventures of Indiana Jones thing, I think this is the last movie. I don't think he'll do anymore (and I'd be shocked if he and Spielberg could get their schedules to jive on a fifth one) and I don't think he'd let anyone else do it without him.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Shia Labeouf makes any movie better.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:
He was a great actor for comedies. I even think he's a decent dramatic actor.

In action movies, though, he's a joke.

I've tried interpreting the bold portion several ways, and the statement holds true, regardless.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought he was good in Disturbia.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

I doubt it for a couple reasons. I'm pretty sure Lucas has veto rights over anything Indiana Jones related, and given how long it took to make this one happen, outside of Shia maybe doing some sort of Young Adventures of Indiana Jones thing, I think this is the last movie. I don't think he'll do anymore (and I'd be shocked if he and Spielberg could get their schedules to jive on a fifth one) and I don't think he'd let anyone else do it without him.
What I meant was that DURING Kingdom of the Crystal Skull we will see Indiana start out strong at the beginning of the movie, and fade until towards the end Shia will have to save the day. How far across the spectrum they will go I am not sure but I think it's quite possible.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I sort of thought you meant that, but in less of a one off way and more of a "pass the franchise torch" sort of way.

Yeah I think that might be possible. I lean more towards them trying to show each other up a little bit in a familial sort of compeitition, and I think it'll be mostly equal.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly hope that they don't make another Indiana Jones after this one. I don't think Spielberg will let it happen though. That trilogy was one of his crowning achievements and he's not going to let it go down the tubes, I don't think.

As for Shia LaBeouf, I think he's a very good actor. I liked him in Transformers. I think he's very capable and is trying his hand at something other than comedy, which I find admirable.

It's very possible that Indy will get in trouble and it'll be up to Shia (or Mutt, as the case may be) to save the day. I mean, that would make sense in the way action films usually go. Either way, I'm still going to see it. How can I not? But I probably won't see any Indiana Jones films after that, just out of principle.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
What principle would that be?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The original Indiana Jones deal wasn't for a trilogy, it was for five films.

Just sayin'. [Smile]

Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet he says NO NO NO at least once
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

The principle that only Harrison Ford should be in Indiana Jones movies.

And maybe it was originally supposed to be 5 movies, but I honestly don't think this movie is what Spielberg had in mind when he thought of the 4th movie. I really don't think a 25 year break between movies was all part of the master plan.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I have so far been mostly impressed with Shia's choices of movies. Not that the movies were that great creatively, but they haven't been absolute disasters. His acting skills, however, are not very good.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evie3217:

That would make for boring movies. [Razz]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
I bet he says NO NO NO at least once
[ROFL]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Woah woah woah, the very POINT of Indiana Jones is that he is a regular guy who if anyone can muster up a little courage they can be just like him, I see it as entirely possible and acceptable that there could be additional movies or a series where Shia becomes the nextgen and Indy the mentor.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constipatron
Member # 8831

- posted      Profile for Constipatron           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know.... Indiana Jones is kind of outdated these days... was that part of Ford they left back on the road in the last movie or does he have a fake limb we don't know about?
Posts: 42 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

quote:
Originally posted by Miro:
quote:
Originally posted by Evie3217:

That would make for boring movies. [Razz]
Okay, so I rephrase my statement. Only Harrison Ford should be the STAR of Indiana Jones.

Although I have to say, I wouldn't exactly mind an entire movie of just Harrison Ford running up and down old Incan ruins.

the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
What an insufferable actor. I liked the film "Holes" but he was utterly upstaged by the boy who played Hector Zeroni. And the reason his performance is tolerable in that film is because he was still pretty young and boyish. He's grown up now though so his lack of talent is more glaring. I have no idea why Hollywood execs don't pick up on this.

[ March 29, 2008, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: the_Somalian ]

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Holes was good (hey, didn't know that was him.) Greatest Game was pretty good. Transformers made me want to root around in my brain with a stick to get it out.

I don't know that that's Labeouf's fault exactly. He didn't exactly have a script to work with, but then, he didn't bring much to what little he was given, either.

I'll watch Indy 4 and try to withhold judgement. I like what I've seen in the previews, but I'm definitely going to it for Ford (and, heck, Allen) not for Labeouf.

ADD: Does Marian's presence give anyone else uncomfortable "he's your son" vibes?...

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.