FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Flash Drive Funeral: mayfly

Author Topic: Flash Drive Funeral: mayfly
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Is my flashdrive dead?

I accidentally pulled it out before ejecting it, and now my permissions are gone. I can't save anything to it, or delete any of the files on it, etc.

I opened disk utility to try and repair it or change the permissions, but it will only let me verify the disk.

(I have a mac, os.x.)

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
But you can get things off of it?

If so, do that. Then you can reformat it (also in disk utility) and put anything you want back on it back.

I suggest formatting it as FAT if you need Windows computers able to read it.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I can't get things off it. At this point I am not worried about losing the info on the drive. Disk utility is not letting me erase the drive, repair the drive...only verify that it exists.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

I was able to restore the info on the FD to my harddrive, so now there really is no worry of losing my files, but it still is not giving me the option to add permissions, or repair anything.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have a mechanical writeprotect switch?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

Not that I can tell... would it be obvious? I'm going to go with no. No switch.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know until a week ago that you needed to eject your flash drive instead of just pulling it out. I always waited until the light on it stopped though. I've never had problems with it.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually just learned this today myself. I had no idea!
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.