FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » George Lucas: "It would make a lot of money if you weren't rich."

Author Topic: George Lucas: "It would make a lot of money if you weren't rich."
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
George's anti-hype spin-doctoring on "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"...

That quote about money slays me. So, how full -is- your official Scrooge McDuck replica money bin, George? [Wink]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd think for all the swimming he does in that thing he'd look a little fitter.

quote:
"When you do a movie like this, a sequel that's very, very anticipated, people anticipate ultimately that it's going to be the Second Coming," Lucas says. "And it's not. It's just a movie. Just like the other movies. You probably have fond memories of the other movies. But if you went back and looked at them, they might not hold up the same way your memory holds up."
It looks like someone is still bitter over Phantom Menace. Thing is though, he's not wrong. He was at the helm of two of the most memorable, most loved film trilogies in cinematic history, and he'd know better than anyone that meeting expectations on these movies is next to impossible.

Still, one would hope that after the prequel flap he'd have learned a few lessons on what not to do to make fans revile him on message boards from coast to coast.

And I don't think he was suggesting it wouldn't make a lot of money, merely that he didn't do it FOR the money, which I believe. When you're as loaded with cash as he is, I don't think you really do anything for money. I think that, much like his making more and more Star Wars stuff, it's about a combination of his honest love of the stuff he's creating (and the fun of it) and a pretty big ego.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well he's saying that he can afford to make it regardless of whether it makes money. He has money, he doesn't want more, he's doing Indiana Jones for fun. I don't see anything wrong with that...
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

And I don't think he was suggesting it wouldn't make a lot of money, merely that he didn't do it FOR the money, which I believe. When you're as loaded with cash as he is, I don't think you really do anything for money.

I didn't suggest as such either. I pointed out my amusement at how casual he is about that fact that many hundreds of millions of dollars (however much Indiana Jones 4 makes) will be the equivalent of, oh, thirty-nine cents to him. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"He has money, he doesn't want more, he's doing Indiana Jones for fun. I don't see anything wrong with that..."

Well I do. He can not-make-any-money by turning his share of the profits over to me.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
Well he's saying that he can afford to make it regardless of whether it makes money. He has money, he doesn't want more, he's doing Indiana Jones for fun. I don't see anything wrong with that...

What did I say was wrong with it? I said I found it funny. [Smile]
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you prefer he hide the fact that he's rich? I don't see anything in that quote that's worth getting worked up over.

I think we all know that Lucas is loaded.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see where anyone has gotten worked up over it.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

"Would you prefer he hide the fact that he's rich?"

I promise that if Lucas turns the profits over to me, I will not hide the fact that I'm rich.
It's grape-peeling handmaidens bellydancing alongside palanquins carried by minimally-concealed hard bodies all the way. With beautiful young lads&lassies strewing rose petals upon the path, naturally.

[ March 25, 2008, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Would you prefer he hide the fact that he's rich?

No.

I don't see anything in that quote that's worth getting worked up over.

I'm amused. I don't think that counts as getting "worked up". [Smile]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Puffy, for those of us to whom a million dollars would be a life changing profit, its amusing to hear someone like Lucas brush off a hundred times that like it was petty cash.

Its nothing that I don't understand. I remember back in my grad school days when $25 was a windfall, now I could loose it and never notice. Still its amusing to see that same principal at work on the multi-million dollar scale.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Starting a thread about how Lucas doesn't keep it a secret that he's loaded fits under my definition of 'worked up'. I believe Puffy if he says he's not, though.

Rabbit, you missed the point.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

He should put that money to good use inventing a REAL lightsaber.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Starting a thread about how Lucas doesn't keep it a secret that he's loaded fits under my definition of 'worked up'.

I linked by an article about Lucas on his new film, pointed out a quote I found funny. I said nothing accusatory, negative, or demeaning about Lucas or his money.

Other than I found his offhand remark amusing. [Smile]

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:

Lightsaber, nothing. I want my own R2!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Then you have to learn how to speak Beepboopbeep, which I understand to be a very complicated language.

Plus, lightsabers are flashy. And they can cut through pretty much everything, except as we learn from the EU, beskar and cortosis ore, neither of which we have here on Earth!

Flashy, or annoying and trilly? Hmmm.... [Smile]

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

But you could never take it out of its original packaging!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
quote:
Starting a thread about how Lucas doesn't keep it a secret that he's loaded fits under my definition of 'worked up'.

I linked by an article about Lucas on his new film, pointed out a quote I found funny. I said nothing accusatory, negative, or demeaning about Lucas or his money.

Other than I found his offhand remark amusing. [Smile]

Dude, I said I believe you -- you can stop 'convincing me'.

I think it's funny that someone admitting something that everybody already knows is amusing. But then, I think Dave Attell is hilarious and George Lopez is mediocre -- clearly, my definition of funny doesn't match mainstream America's. Which is fine by me. [Smile]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Starting a thread about how Lucas doesn't keep it a secret that he's loaded fits under my definition of 'worked up'. I believe Puffy if he says he's not, though.

Rabbit, you missed the point.

No, I think you missed the point. Unless I'm badly mistaken, Puffy wasn't either "worked up' or 'amused" because Lucas admitted he was rich. He (or at least I) was amused by how casually a rich guy like Lucas can brush off a sum of money that would radically alter most peoples lives.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Rabbit is correct. [Smile]
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
I think it's funny that someone admitting something that everybody already knows is amusing.
Dude, that wasn't what was amusing. Puffy himself explained that he found it amusing "how casual he (Lucas) is about that fact that many hundreds of millions of dollars (however much Indiana Jones 4 makes) will be the equivalent of, oh, thirty-nine cents to him."

Its not funny because Lucas is admitting he's rich. Its funny to see how the rich think about enormous sums of money.

aspectre
Member # 2222

When one has enough money to buy everything one could want that can be bought with material goods,
the rest is MONOPOLY Money: merely a convenient way to keep score during the game.

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
The real issue we're all glossing over is this one:
quote:
"Come on, he's George Lucas," Nolan says. "I felt like I should have kissed the ring."
Nolan, in my opinion, has made far better films in the last 10 years than Lucas has made in a longer amount of time.

Nolan has written AND directed:

Memento
Insomnia
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
(already looking awesome)

Lucas has written and directed:
American Graffiti
Star Wars I-IV
(note: not Empire or Jedi)

Lucas only wrote the "story" for Indy and Willow and his other successes--they got real writers and directors to handle the filmmaking.

Don't undersell yourself, Nolan.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still smiling at Puffy's ducktales reference (possibly because my 3 year old makes us watch a ducktales DVD at least once a week). Though I think the real queastion is can he swim in his money like Scrooge could. Also I like aspectre's sound investment plan for the money.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't know, anyone who has watched enough of those Duck Tales episodes would know that anyone other than Scrooge ends up landing face first on top of the money while Scrooge is doing the backstroke.

Personally, I didn't think the new Batman was really all that, and I haven't seen any of Nolan's other movies.

Lucas is a fantastic conceptualizer, he comes up with great ideas for stories, he's great at the behind the scenes work, the production, the technical stuff, and he's an okay co-writer. Saying he wrote the "story" like that is an attempt to edge him out of getting any credit for his work. There wouldn't have been an Indiana Jones or a Star Wars without him. I don't think he's an awful script writer, I just think there are better ones, and I don't think he's an awful director, I just think there are better ones. There wouldn't have been an Empire if ANH hadn't done well.

As always, I'll defend Lucas because I think he gets a lot more crap than he deserves (and let's be clear, he does deserve SOME of it), but he's still a revolutionary filmmaker that helped change the face of movies and sci-fi, whether you like it or not.

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think he's an awful script writer, I just think there are better ones, and I don't think he's an awful director, I just think there are better ones.
Like Christopher Nolan. Agreed.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marek:
I'm still smiling at Puffy's ducktales reference (possibly because my 3 year old makes us watch a ducktales DVD at least once a week). Though I think the real queastion is can he swim in his money like Scrooge could. Also I like aspectre's sound investment plan for the money.

Our nephew has to behave so he can watch DuckTales before he goes to bed. Good show!
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally, I didn't think the new Batman was really all that, and I haven't seen any of Nolan's other movies.
Dude, see Memento. It's worth it.

It's one of my top 10 films of all time.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto, Memento is in my top 20. Nolan was robbed on Oscar night, he should have won for Best Screenplay.

Also, Batman Begins wasn't a great film, but it was far better than the other recent Batman films. It really saved the franchise from the gutter.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Batman Begins was a great film.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.