FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Books! need help

Author Topic: Books! need help
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz] Hey everyone, lately ive been at a standstill in what to read, just been re-reading and whatnot, anyway i would realy like some book suggestions for me to read!

I realy like asimov, herbert, and Card.
Mabe a realy good clasic would help me out!!

Thanks so much for the help should you choose to respond, i would realy appreciate it [Big Grin] [Hail]

PS. i dont realy like fantasy as much as sci-fi

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything by Gene Wolfe is great. His Book of the New Sun series rules.

I'm reading Charles Stross' Accelerando right now. It's an impressive novel but has a really frenetic pace of ideas.

Classics. . .
Have you ever read The Stars My Destination or The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester?

More recent classics: William Gibson - Neuromancer and sequels
Excession by Ian Banks, and his other Culture novels

Not really a classic (too recent, for one thing), but I really enjoyed Peter Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy, and also his Commonwealth Saga (2 novels).
One of the few books I really itched for and bought new last year was Judas Unchained, the second Commonwealth novel.

[ March 26, 2008, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

Thanks for the help friend!
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

[Big Grin] [Party]
Morbo
Member # 5309

Those above are all pretty heavy. For lighter fare, try Connie Willis' To Say Nothing of the Dog or Bellwether. 2 funny and easy to read novels, but interesting and intelligent. Bellwether especially is a short and quick read. I've read it 3-4 times, usually to cheer me up.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack recommends....
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

Thanks so much farmgirl, you're my hero!!!
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Heinlein?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

I picked up Neuromancer and Ringworld today, hope they're good!
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, that list is missing Neal Stephenson.

Neuromancer and Ringworld are both fun — you'll enjoy them.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably too late. But if you haven't already read Fight Club that's a good place to start your discipleship to Chuck Palahniuk.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

I saws da moveee

Seriously Steve R, i heard it was good but the amount of people telling me to read it is just pushing me away, (like the most recent harry potter)
I cant help it, i live for reverse psychology [Big Grin] [Wall Bash]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Fine then, don't read it. And you shouldn't read his book Invisible Monsters either. And you should totally stay clear of the book The Holy by Daniel Quinn. [Wink]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Hyperion (and its subsequent books), and also Illium, all by Dan Simmons, are remarkably good, IMHO.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Passage At Arms by Glen Cook is a very good sci-fi novel, although Cook is mainly a fantasy writer.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
City, by Clifford D. Simak.

Terrific book. Hard to find. Very cool.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Vernor Vinge writes excellent space opera. "A Fire Upon the Deep" and "A Deepness in the Sky" are both very, very good.

Alastair Reynolds is my other recent favorite space opera writer. He compares to Stross in some ways but for me Reynolds is easier to get along with.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Yes to Vinge and Hyperion!
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

[Big Grin]
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Morbo... Bester is... amazing.

The Stars My Destination could be made into a movie today with virtually no changes and it would still be realistically futuristic. And it was written, in '53, '54 I think? In my opinion, it's the best sci-fi story ever.

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
Replay by Ken Grimwood
Market Forces by Robert K. Morgan
Earth Abides by George R. Stewart
The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect by Roger Williams (online only, not for kids link
Signal to Noise and A Signal Shattered by Eric S. Nylund
The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson (not really sf)

Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.