FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » MONEY!!!! MONEY!!!!! (Page 0)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: MONEY!!!! MONEY!!!!!
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
I havent started or applied yet, I am still figuring out the 'how to take it' part, of like where do I need to go, do need to get a manual are there classes.

so far i am not worried about passing it, my mom has this friend who not to be mean to the gal if she can pass it then what am i worrying about.

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps Blayne would appreciate it if his personal life was not bandied about like so much Internet fodder?

This may have been discussed or mentioned in other threads, but, to my knowledge, Blayne did not post an invitation in this thread to discuss the intimate aspects of his life.

Curious and interesting as it may be, I don't think it is proper to carry on an open forum discussion of someone's private life.

Steve/bluewizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cassv746:
Why did this thread, (like so many others pertaining to this) turn into a fight?

Largely because people are trying to help Blayne with this:
quote:
Blayne, congrats on the money. Use it wisely. That's all I have to say.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
He has posted about his personal life numerous times, so to ignore what he's posted would seem disingenuous.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Until I need em Ill be putting the part to be paid back money into a whatchamacallit, savings account.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
It scares me, slightly, that you don't appear to be fully aware of what a savings account is called. One might consider doing some research into this.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlueWizard:
Curious and interesting as it may be, I don't think it is proper to carry on an open forum discussion of someone's private life.

I myself don't find it "curious" or "interesting." I would say I find it concerning, though.

I would rather speak about my concerns openly than behind his back. I would rather not speak about them at all, but when it has been an area of recurrent contention amongst this general group of friends -- for years, over and over and over again, to the extremity of responses it has drawn from Blayne -- I judge it better to speak openly, briefly, and leave that perspective out there than to either ignore the onnnnnnnnngoing (and, I think, at least sometimes underinformed) interpersonal conflicts or to try to address it in a widespread way behind his back.

Your judgement may differ. I am perfectly fine with that, and I am comfortable with where my judgement has led me.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlueWizard:
Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps Blayne would appreciate it if his personal life was not bandied about like so much Internet fodder?

Blue Wizard inadvertently wins the thread.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

quote:
Originally posted by Human:
It scares me, slightly, that you don't appear to be fully aware of what a savings account is called. One might consider doing some research into this.

Thats why when i go to the bank I'll be asking them which kind of account is best for giving me money from interest.
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
It is their job. So as long as he knows enough to know which questions to ask, I think he's in the clear.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

Better idea: Do research yourself, beforehand. The banks are going to tell you what they want you to do; what's best for THEM. Do your own research first, find out what YOU want, and then find a bank that has that--don't rely on other people to tell you what to do all the time! You have a brain, though it seems to misfire frequently--use it.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Use BMO or RBC [Wink]

But seriously, you should be able to get between 3% or 4%, shop around if you get anything less.

You may find the last few pages of this useful
link

[ March 28, 2008, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Mucus ]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sid Meier:
As for a car, its possible a friend of a friend might give me there used jobby but I lack a drivers licsense of any form of drivers ed at all. It is something that I'll have to work towards during the summer, currently getting A+ Certified is a tad higher priority though.

I don't know the details regarding why A+ certification is of immediate importance to you, but you may want to spend some more time considering the immediate benefits of having a driver's license versus the immediate benefits of having A+ certification and how your lack of having a driver's license has made you very dependent on others.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by camus:
quote:
As for a car, its possible a friend of a friend might give me there used jobby but I lack a drivers licsense of any form of drivers ed at all. It is something that I'll have to work towards during the summer, currently getting A+ Certified is a tad higher priority though.

I don't know the details regarding why A+ certification is of immediate importance to you, but you may want to spend some more time considering the immediate benefits of having a driver's license versus the immediate benefits of having A+ certification and how your lack of having a driver's license has made you very dependent on others.
I'll agree with this. Getting yourself independently mobile should definitely be a priority, will probably take less time than the A+ certification, and will definitely open up many more paths for your future. I'd hate to see you earn your certification and then be completely unable to use it because you can't get to a job.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Blayne currently lives significantly outside a city, which is why public transportation doesn't work for him. If his school and job are in the city (not sure about this), then it might be better to move into the city and use public transit than buy a car and have to deal with the associated baggage - license, insurance, maintenance.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
That could very well be. Or he could get a motorcyle (and safely and conservatively operate it). Whatever the case, I think being capable of your own mobility is a helluva lot more important than having a bitchinrad machine.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I admit I don't know the entire situation here as I have avoided these discussions, but in my opinion getting a "bitchinrad machine" does not get you out of the house, which seems to be the root of the problem.

Sitting in the virtual dark playing video games, albeit entertaining, is not growth. And there will always be time for that in the future; you have to get your priorities straight, and attack the immediate necessities.

The world does not come to you at your convenience; you have to go outside and reach for it. Getting reliable transportation - be it a car, scooter, skateboard, helicopter... whatever it may be - will open up more opportunities for growth than you apparently realize.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Actually, he's already noted that the $2000, while still a loan (and will have to repaid at some future date), is specifically earmarked for computer equipment anyways.

While he might be able to get his glasses fixed and justify that as a computer expense, a vehicle or transit passes would be even harder to justify.

So its not really an either/or thing here.

http://www.afe.gouv.qc.ca/en/pretsBourses/fraisMaterielInformatique.asp

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Cars got computers these days, don't they? [Wink]

Bah... they ask for receipts. I never realized that had such a specific purpose.

Well, if the $2K can *ONLY* be used for a computer, unless you really want to increase your personal debt there's no real reason to spent every last penny on a computer. Get the barebone computer to fulfill the task, and get software relating to your studies. And does that cover computer books, reference materials and the like?

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

Regardless of how the money is used, I still think Blayne should spend some time considering the benefits of a driver's license. That doesn't mean he has to purchase a car with his student loan money, but at least it's a step towards independence.

Blayne, what are the costs associated in getting just a driver's license? You'll need to get one sometime in life, so you might as well start now looking into and planning for the costs and effort. It's not a bad idea to begin planning for things even before you are ready or able to do them.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

im looking into it, doesnt look cheap or convenient though.
The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you at least have a state-issued i.d.? How do you board planes? Passport?
Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

plaaanes? Whats a plane? pass-....porrrrt.... leaaave... canada? *confused look*
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

AAAAHHHHHHKKKK!!!!! ITS THE GENUINE!!! AAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!! [Eek!] When did you get over here!?
The Genuine
Member # 11446

I've been here a long time! I just usually post in my other account, "Scott R".
Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

What!? Wha, what, are you?! What. I don wha? What? Come on? What? what.
camus
Member # 8052

quote:
im looking into it, doesnt look cheap or convenient though.

not many things are
Mucus
Member # 9735

Blayne should have a provincially-issued health card. Thats the closest analogue I can think of to a state-issued i.d. that almost every Canadian should have.
The Genuine
Member # 11446

Is there a picture i.d. on it?
Mucus
Member # 9735

Depends on the province I think, that and how old your health card is.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
mine has id yes.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Blayne you can have my A+ study guide for free if you send me your mailing address. (just email me through the forum)

It's for the 2003 version of the certification, so you'll need to supplement it with something else to be ready for the newer version, but a lot of it will still be applicable.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

sent ze email.
scifibum
Member # 7625

Cool.

Whether you need a class to pass the A+ certification depends on your learning style. If you can handle independent study then you can easily learn everything you need to know for the test from online sources or a printed study guide. Online classes are available. They can get a bit expensive. In-person classes are probably best if you have a hard time concentrating or if you learn best from hands-on experience. (You can also work on old used computers to get the hands on experience.)

The cost to take the test is around $200 (US). It's often discounted if you purchase a certain book, or take a certain class. You have to get to a Prometric or Vue testing center. You can find details on the CompTIA website.

---

Note I'm not trying to influence any decision about your educational/situational priorities, just figured I'd share a couple of details about A+ since I recently got it. [Smile]

Book will be on the way sometime in the next week or so.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Can I have permission to send baggering once a day everyday until you mail it? Its what I did with TomDavidson when he sent me a Shadow Series book by OSC.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I see the thread has moved on a bit, but oh well.

quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
[QB]
quote:
It's free for Blayne; the Canadian taxpayer is bearing the cost.
Nope, the Canadian taxpayer is investing in Blayne, figuring he'll be making a lot more money after getting an education than he would if he did without. Making a lot more money means paying a LOT more in taxes. And that extra tax money will more than pay back the "free" parts of his loan, with INTEREST.
I didn't say it was a bad deal for the Canadian taxpayer. But it is a cost. Investing isn't free. When you put money in the bank, you are giving up the use of that money for the time being. That's a cost.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

speaking of investing, KoM how much to bribe you out of the war [Smile]
scifibum
Member # 7625

Blayne, I guess so. I won't guarantee it'll make me send it faster, though. [Smile]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Itll make me feel like im accomplishing something [Smile]
Human
Member # 2985

I can see why that'd be something you'd feel a strong desire for.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I've told you, Blayne: I'm not abandoning my allies. Now I know I've got a bit of a reputation, but you have to realise this: All my backstabs in the Great Game were intended as war-winning endgame gambits. The execution was flawed, but the idea was always to overrun China while your troops were elsewhere, remove the threat to my Siberian provinces and add Chinese resources to my industry, and then crush the European powers piecemeal. That's not going to be possible in TWBW no matter who I stab. This being so, my options change: Reputation is now important. Look up 'iterated Prisoner's Dilemma' to see what I'm talking about; at the moment, the shadow of the future is long.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
About the drivers license... A friend of mine from Quebec got her license when she moved to Alberta since, she told me, getting her drivers license in Quebec would have cost her over $2000. IIRC, it involved mandatory drivers ed, which was the most expensive component. Much cheaper in Alberta and, really, every other province than Quebec. This was in the early 1990s.

I don't know if it's still the same way, but if it is, then getting a drivers license there is not something that's done that easily for most people.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassv746
Member # 11173

- posted      Profile for cassv746   Email cassv746         Edit/Delete Post 
$2000?!?!?! Wow. [Eek!] That is a crazy huge amount.
Posts: 106 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My application for financial aid has been approved I have money!!!!!!!
Blayne, you do not have money. Someone else has money and is letting you use it for a while. Please note the difference and be very careful how you use it, as you will be paying interest on it soon enough if you can't pay it back.

---

Also, I'd just like to point out that it is pretty difficult to give accurate advice on how to make important life decisions based solely on what you know about a person from the way that person describes himself on an online forum. While there are many people here who like to be helpful, I don't think it is wise to assume we can know what is best for Blayne.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Hmm... would it be evil to agree to abandon the Western Alliance in exchange for a share of Blayne's real-life money? Applying for a green card is going to be extremely expensive...
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Could be arranged... could be arranged...
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see that on the receipt: bribe.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

Blayne, I think you're kidding, toying. But if you're not, you're going to land up a bum on the street.

Focus, man! Before you spend a dime of that money, figure out where and what you want to be in five years. Is "bankrupt video game king" really your goal?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and if Canadian student loans are anything like American student loans, even bankruptcy won't save you.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Don't worry, gentlemen, the Winter and the war-weariness of the Italian troops did what Blayne's diplomacy couldn't, and saved his bacon. I think I shall give up on invading Russia, it's at the edge of my logistics anyway, and instead concentrate on those neighbours of mine, who proved so faithless in this war. No bribes required. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.