FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Illegitimate Surrogacy (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Illegitimate Surrogacy
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Mommie Dearest in Jr. High.
Perhaps I was a bit too young to read that book. Also this book by President Reagan's daughter.
One time when I was living over the summer with my ex stepmother and father they confescated a lot of my books.These were John Saul books and scary sort of books aimed at younger people that I had bougth with my own money.
I was deeply annoyed about that. Especially since they let me watch movies like Misery and this movie about some demon chick that killed folks, Silence of the Lambs (which I fell asleep on, and my exstepmother's brother made a rather rude remark about me admiring Hannibal lector which not only was not the case, but is something for another day.) and Sleepwalkers.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
:bumped:

It seems a pertinent topic, considering the actions the CPS in Texas has taken.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
<deleted because of squeamishness around privacy issues>

[ May 23, 2008, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm curious.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't want to deal with teacher vs. parent issues. It's among my reasons of why I homeschool my kids.

I have noticed some other parents stepping in, because I homeschool.

I have noticed a refrain here, that others will not try to overstep the bounds of a normal parent/child relationship, as long as the parent is "normal and healthy".

The problem is the subjectivity of that assessment.

I have met a lot of people who believe that my homeschooling is proof of my family not being normal and healthy. I admit, sometimes I poke these people with a stick and tell them our school day consists of me chaining the kids in the basement and forcing them to recite Leviticus.

Or, my family size shows I must not be normal and healthy, because in their eyes a normal and healthy woman wouldn't have five children in eight years (actually, 6, just five living), and wouldn't want more. Surprisingly, I get a lot of other LDS women feeling this way towards me--some of them actually seem to be personally hurt or angered that I have a lot of kids. I honestly don't know why.

I get intervention-ed a lot. [Smile] Less and less now that my children are getting older and appear fairly happy and normal.

I've noticed something else, too--that the other parents and teachers who are fine with how they are parenting/teaching their own children/students don't bother me. Some of them are my most ardent cheerleaders in my homeschooling efforts.

It's the parents whose children are doing very poorly in public school, or the teachers who lack confidence, that feel the need to question my parenting and teaching.

Often they'll say, "You homeschool?" and will start quizzing my children.

What I care about it experience. Some people seem more able to learn from their experiences, and gain wisdom; unfortunately, they aren't the ones giving uninvited advice about child rearing.

My personal policy is that I don't accept advice from anyone, teacher or parent, unless they already have good results to show for their knowledge.

We used to watch Spongebob. Also Buffy the Vampire Slayer, even when the kids were really young.

But we got rid of cable and only watch VeggieTales and Peep and Charlie and Lola now.

Getting rid of cable, including the commercials, has made an astonishing difference in my children's behavior and materialism, and in my free time. I actually get to write, quilt and work out now that I'm not glued to a TV set.

Um, not that anybody asked.

*edited to add: I'm afraid I sound really self-righteous. I try hard not to be. I don't think homeschooling or public schooling is for everyone; homeschooling is certainly right for my family.

It really irritates me when people tell me off handedly how to do the job that I do every day, all day, and will be doing for the next few decades.

I do believe I am the expert on my children. It doesn't mean I don't take them to doctors, and won't get them tutors, but it does mean I can cheerfully disregard advice I absolutely disagree with.

I had absolutely no limits on what I watched or read when I was a child; by modern standards that should mean I am well-rounded and happy, since standard philosophy is that children have to be exposed to ugly stuff in order to make them strong.

It didn't make me strong.

Seeking after virtue did.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.