FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Harry Potter question...

Author Topic: Harry Potter question...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
...what book was the series up to by the time J.K. Rowling finally revealed the reason why Harry had to stay with the Dursleys each summer? I want to say book four, but I can't find my copy of Goblet of Fire.

[ March 28, 2008, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Book five. It was after Harry destroyed Dumbledore's office.

See? Now I am wanting to read HP again. It's like ice cream.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
...what book was the series up to by the time J.K. Rowling finally revealed the reason why Harry had to stay with the Dursley's each summer? I want to say book four, but I can't find my copy of Goblet of Fire.

Could it have been 4? No, because Harry was a wreck at the end of that book. I don't think Dumbledore had any time to explain anything to him.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, ice cream?
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Tara:
Oooh, ice cream?

Yeah, chocolate ice crean with brownies and hot fudge and whipped cream

Or maybe cookies and cream.

Now i want to buy some haagen daas, oreo like cookies, mash them together, leave it in the freezer for several hours then read HP again.

Liaison
Member # 6873

- posted      Profile for Liaison   Email Liaison         Edit/Delete Post 
This is completely off the top of my head, but I believe that it was explained nearer to the end of the series. I'm tempted to say it was at the end of either 5 or 6. I'm almost positive it was not in Goblet. I recall a conversation with Dumbledore about it being important that Harry return to the Dursleys one last time. Perhaps that was in 6 then during one of their private 'lessons'.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Found my copy of GoF. Voldemort makes an enigmatic reference to Dumbledore invoking an older type of "blood kin" magic that protected Harry during his Dursley-dwellling summers...though it's not explained in detail until OotP.

One thing I recall from almost every HP review way back in the year 1999 (when I discovered the series) was just how obviously contrived the setup with the Harry living with the Dursleys had become by book three. Did she seek a way to justify it? Or was it all part of her master plan from the start?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that it was set up in book 1, I'm pretty sure it was designed that way from the start.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Considering that it was set up in book 1, I'm pretty sure it was designed that way from the start.

Well, the explanation given in book one (Dumbledore didn't want Harry growing up famous before he could even understand why/assumed his Aunt would take good care of her kin once she read his letter) isn't what we some books later were told was the actual reason. In retrospect I can make it fit...Aberforth revealing that Albus was taught by his own mother from childhood onward to make a secret of nearly everything, wanting to keep McGonagall from knowing dangerous secrets and making her a bigger target, etc...but I can't help wondering.

[ March 29, 2008, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That wasn't exactly what I was referring to... I know there's deeper foreshadowing of it but I don't have the book accessible right now. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

In the first book, there's not much about the hows and whys of Harry's Dursley years beyond Dumbledore's misleading (not to say outright false) explanation to McGonagall, and his veiled remarks about the protection Lily Potter gave Harry some chapters later.

I'm not sure what the deeper foreshadowing you refer to is, but it must have been some pretty vague stuff. [Smile]

andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Synesthasia was right in her first post. The first time the real reason was given to Harry was at the end of book 5, when Harry has just finished destroying Dumbledore's office. At the end of book four, Ron tells Harry that his mother tried to get Dumbledore to let him go straight to the burrow and skip the Dursley's, but Dumbledore refused and didn't explain why Harry had to go to Privet Drive.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Synesthasia and andi330 are both correct. It was in Book 5 after Harry tried to wreck Dumbledore's office and was then given a barrage of information from Dumbledore about why he had to languish at the Dursley's every summer.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter deos not make me want ice cream. It makes me want bacon and sausage and shepherd's pie.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
Harry Potter deos not make me want ice cream. It makes me want bacon and sausage and shepherd's pie.

well that too
I'm rather fond of Shepherd's Pie

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.