FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » North American Union? New currency? What's going on here!

Author Topic: North American Union? New currency? What's going on here!
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... why did I just hear about this now...
End of USA and the dollar?
Is this some big hoax or joke?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T74VA3xU0EA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuBo4E77ZXo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H65f3q_Lm9U

[Angst]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if this turns out to be not a big deal the Bush administration has still left a trail of destruction stealing powers away from Congress in a dozen other ways.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the subject line and thought, "Oh, man. Telp ran into a tinfoil vendor."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"in absolute contravention of our law, of our Constitution..."

Lou Dobbs is a moron. There's NOTHING unconstitutional or illegal about what was done.

"Do you think maybe somebody should take a vote if we're going to merge Canada, Mexico and the United States?"

Wow - that's a strawman of epic proportions.

The statement about the plan being called the "Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America" instead of the "Security and Prosperity Partnership of the United States" is absurd as a criticism of the framework.

The second link starts with a lie - that the SPP does away with borders and establishes the NAU - and then wanders farther from the truth as it goes on.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, the notion that such a thing has happened or has had any significant movement towards happening is about on par with the idea that pyramid shapes will sharpen blades put under them. Total nonsense.

And Lou Dobbs has a gigantic bully pulpit to speak to people about economics . . . no wonder the candidates seem to be falling over themselves to ruin the economy, he and numerous other people have told the voters that's the way to save the economy.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
The second clip is a bit odd. It sounds like a blend of various end-time ideas.
However, its actually from a much longer conspiracy movie called Zeitgeist which doesn't sound Christian either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeitgeist%2C_the_Movie

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I have no idea of the merits of the plan, I must say that "Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America" does rather bring to my mind the "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere". Presumably whoever named it hadn't read any history.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a problem with more cooperation with Mexico and Canada. If we could get Mexico to some kind of standard of living parity with the US and Canada, screening Mexico's southern border would be a hell of a lot easier than screening the US/Mexican border. But I think we're decades away from even the kind of cooperation that the Europeans have. And keep in mind, that the Europeans haven't even agreed on a Constitution yet, it keeps getting voted down, I think Belgium and France voted it down last time, barely.

I'm not even totally against some sort of greater governmental framework based on the Constitution, like having the three countries of NA act like states and have their own constitutions but with a greater North American constitution that'll govern all the states and ensure rights across all countries. My support would depend entirely on the content of such a document, and on a couple other things, like our voice in the United Nations, and on some sort of veto power that'd make it so two of us couldn't gang up on the third guy. I'm sure it'd involve some sacrifices of power, but there'd be some clear benefits for America, just as there would be for Mexico and Canada.

I don't think I'll see it in my lifetime though, young as I am, it's a century away.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
The European constitution has been prepackaged as the Lisbon Treaty and France has ratified it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6901353.stm

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, the video player on my computer is coocoo, and won't play You-Tube videos, but if what you have there is the "Amero", well, I do have Snopes and they say False!
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by orlox:
The European constitution has been prepackaged as the Lisbon Treaty and France has ratified it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6901353.stm

Ah, I was thinking of what happened in 2005 when the Dutch and French shot it down (Belgium, Netherlands, whatever).

I'll have to look into this Lisbon Treaty and see what it'll mean.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm... i meant repackaged [Smile]
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I don't have a problem with more cooperation with Mexico and Canada. If we could get Mexico to some kind of standard of living parity with the US and Canada, screening Mexico's southern border would be a hell of a lot easier than screening the US/Mexican border. But I think we're decades away from even the kind of cooperation that the Europeans have. And keep in mind, that the Europeans haven't even agreed on a Constitution yet, it keeps getting voted down, I think Belgium and France voted it down last time, barely.

I'm not even totally against some sort of greater governmental framework based on the Constitution, like having the three countries of NA act like states and have their own constitutions but with a greater North American constitution that'll govern all the states and ensure rights across all countries. My support would depend entirely on the content of such a document, and on a couple other things, like our voice in the United Nations, and on some sort of veto power that'd make it so two of us couldn't gang up on the third guy. I'm sure it'd involve some sacrifices of power, but there'd be some clear benefits for America, just as there would be for Mexico and Canada.

I don't think I'll see it in my lifetime though, young as I am, it's a century away.

That's more or less my thoughts on the matter. I remember the first time that I talked with one of those people, and my first comment was something along the lines of "so what". In principle, I would like to see this sort of thing take place, although a lot of things would need to change in all countries involved before it became any sort of real possibility. Still, the EU would likely have been difficult for many to imagine a century ago, and North America is a lot closer now than they were then, so who knows what will happen.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.