FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I have a "mass" on my neck.

Author Topic: I have a "mass" on my neck.
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the doctor to check out a "thing" on my neck today which seemed like a swollen lymph node, but it was only on one side, which seemed weird to me.

The doctor officially upgraded it to a "mass", took some blood, and did an ultrasound to determine whether it was fluid-filled (it wasn't.) He also prescribed some antibiotics "in case it's a bacterial thing." Depending on the results of the blood test which will be available in a couple days, I may need to get a biopsy.

It's low on my neck - where it transitions to my shoulder - which is apparently not quite the right place for a lymph node. He wasn't sure what it might be and mentioned several possibilities, including lymphoma. Mostly he just kept saying "that's strange."

This is kind of scary.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lipoma. It's a hardened mass of fat that is palpable when my stomach is full, just below my ribcage. They are typically benign and my husband -- who was a massage therapist -- says a lot of people have them.

Also, you have lymph vessells and distributed lymph nodes all over the body. Just there are a few more notable ones in the upper throat area.

P.S. It's not my intention to discount your concern, I'm just throwing some other suggestions out there for you.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds alot like a sebaceous cyst but think a doctor should have picked up on that possibility very quickly. How big is it? How long have you had it?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I had a sebaceous cyst between my armpit and my breast once. That was a bit scary the first time I noticed it.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

I have a lypoma in my stomach, it feel more solid and rubbery than the thing in my neck, which feel more like it's filled with fluid.

The thing in my neck is about the diameter of a golf ball, but sort of longer than wider and is flattened - maybe 1/2" thick. It also seems to get larger and smaller over time, but the doctor said that would be pretty unusual, so I'm going to pay closer attention to see if that's really the case.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

My brother got a golf ball sized mass on his knee once. I don't remember what the deal with it was, but they cut it off and there haven't been any ill effects, unless that's why he listens to Rush Limbaugh.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the good news is you started this post with the phrase "I went to the doctor," thereby forestalling the wrath of hatrack which falls without mercy on those that post requests for medical advice without plans to see physicians. [Wink]

I have no idea what is causing this - I'm sure none of us can really make an internet diagnosis, but I hope it does get identified soon and is no big deal. Hopefully the doctor will have some answers for you.

If you feel uncomfortable with how the doctor is handling your treatment, please seek a second opinion.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure what it could be eother, but I'm sure fascinated by Pooka's medical histories [Wink]

Well done for going to the Quack, it's the best way. I hope whatever it turns out to be is resolved quickly.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

I've had this doctor for a long time. I'm very comfortable with him and he seems to know his stuff. He is also very good about not being a "do what I say because I'm the doctor" sort and will discuss the reasoning behind his diagnosis and treatment choices with me.

I took his "that's strange" as a recognition that the symptoms were nonspecific enough that he didn't want to jump to any premature diagnosis.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.