FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NBC reveals new fall shows

Author Topic: NBC reveals new fall shows
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
http://futoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20080402nbc01
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
The Office spinoff? Hmm...

I wonder how SNL Thursday Night Live will compare to The Daily Show/Colbert Report. I'm not sure how I feel about this segment getting its own show like this. Seems like overkill to me. It might have worked 10 years ago, but the fake news niche is pretty well taken care of these days.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting lineup. Still heavy on the fantasy and sci-fi elements.

I'm betting Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert will be flattered by the SNL spinoff, which I'm betting will be a 30 minute long midweek version of "Weekend Update," if that's the "fake news" direction they plan to take.

I like that they plan to have yearlong programming. My reactions to each of the new shows based on their short descriptions:

My Own Worst Enemy - It's not exactly a new idea for a show. Normally I'd brush it off, but, I like Christian Slater and I liked the Executive Producer and Director, so, I'll watch the first episode, and if I don't like it that'll be it.

Knight Rider - I caught a piece of the thing on TV a few weeks ago and it looked interesting, but more like the kind of show I'll flip on every once and awhile and not watch on a weekly basis.

Crusoe - I think they might be trying to make it sound cooler than it is, and I'm wondering how this'll work on a week to week basis, but, I'll watch it once to see what direction they are going in.

Kings - This is really more my genre. I'm wondering if it'll use modern weapons. I know they say modern metropolis, but there's a king? Sounds like a mix of the 13th and 21st centuries. I can't remember the last show that sounded this actively invested in warfare on a weekly basis.

Merlin - I might watch since it's a miniseries. I'm a sucker for Arthurian stuff.

The Philanthropist - Eh, don't see how this will be interesting every week. I think material will get repetitive. I'll away a review from someone here before I watch.

None of the comedies looks halfway decent, which is surprising for NBC, once the king station of comedies. I might watch the SNL thing to see what it's like, and I might check out The Office spinoff. I'm skeptical.

Chopping Block - As with most reality shows, I'm not interested.

America's Toughest Jobs - Also not interested. In fact, I think this one looks like an extremely stupid idea. I've seen Deadliest Catch (I LOVE it in fact) and some of the other documentary style tv shows, and people get hurt all the time doing those jobs. They aren't just "tough" they are dangerous. They call it Deadliest Catch for a reason. I think a lot of people will be watching in the hopes of seeing some blood. I won't be.

Shark Taggers - This on the other hand I will try out. This is more my style, less reality tv and more documentary style. I'm glad they decided to follow professionals and not have some poor schmuck from wherever trying to tag a friggin shark for a cash prize. And I shall reward their departure from reality tv by watching.

The Last Templar - I'm taking submissions for a good renaming of this show. I'm thinking The Treasure Code. They don't seem to have done much of a job covering up the fact that it's a Da Vinci Code/National Treasure rip off. At the moment, half of me wants to not watch in protest of the obvious ripoff...but the other half just LOVES the genre. I hope it's more funny like National Treasure than stuffy and melodramatic like DVC. The difference I think, is that when Nicholas Cage picks up a piece of wood and says "this is the key to the greatest secret ever!" he says it with a sort of goofy earnestness that I can buy it, with a chuckle. When Tom Hanks points to something in DVC and says "THIS is the key to the greatest secret in all of mankind's history!" I laugh because he sounds ridiculous but doesn't KNOW he sounds ridiculous. Anywho, I might give it a try. I love these action adventure history movies too much.

XIII - Hm. Also not a new idea, but, assasination plots against the president seem to make for good TV or they wouldn't keep making them. I might watch the first episode, but I doubt I'll keep up with it. And I swear, if it turns into some sort of massive conspiracy by a shadow group within the government, and the assasin is some sort of Manchurian Assassin, I'm firebombing NBC Studios. At least TRY and not make it predictable just from the premise.

As it is I watch very little television, but I am anxiously awaiting the return of Deadliest Catch and BSG this month. I doubt I'll watch most or any of these regularly.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
XIII is a French comic from the '80s. I think it had a pretty good plot, though I was trying to read it in French, and my French is so-so...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Not one show on there I plan to watch. Including ER, which I used to love. Guys, it died a few years back and life support is not doing the trick. Pull the plug now!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad it's finally ending. I used to love it but, it deserved a graceful ending a few years ago.

Now it's like a zombie.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Medium-- but I think it'll be reruns by that point. I occasionally watch the "original" L&O; mostly I watch SVU. I watch Monk, too.

None of the new shows appeal to me much, though I too might watch the Merlin miniseries and the Shark Taggers might be interesting if it doesn't interfere with any other shows I want to watch.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
And they cancelled Journeyman in favor of this crap?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Kings sounds cool, but it's on too late for me.

Mostly I'm just thrilled that I'll be getting Chuck and Heroes back soon.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
America's Toughest Jobs - Also not interested. In fact, I think this one looks like an extremely stupid idea. I've seen Deadliest Catch (I LOVE it in fact) and some of the other documentary style tv shows, and people get hurt all the time doing those jobs. They aren't just "tough" they are dangerous. They call it Deadliest Catch for a reason. I think a lot of people will be watching in the hopes of seeing some blood. I won't be.

Umm... yeah...
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.