FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A less hypothetical kitchen utensil question.

Author Topic: A less hypothetical kitchen utensil question.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
First the background: When we arrived in T&T, UWI provided us with a furnished flat. Its in a row of townhouses about half of which are rented by UWI for academic staff. Although we will be here for at least 5 years, many of our neighbors are here much shorter term (6 months to a year).

When we arrived, our kitchen was furnished with the follow.

Appliances
  • Gas stove/oven
  • refrigerator/freezer
  • microwave oven.

Dishes:
  • Six plates, bowls, glasses, coffee cups, knives, forks, table spoons and teaspoons.

Utensils
  • A small low quality chiefs knife
  • a can opener
  • a large metal spoon
  • a large metal slotted spoon,
  • a plastic spatula.

Pots and Pans
  • a teapot
  • a 2 liter sauce pan with lid (teflon lined).
  • a 1 liter sauce pan with lid (teflon lined).
  • a 10 inch teflon frying frying pan with lid.
  • a 10 inch aluminum dutch oven with lid.
  • a rectangular glass backing pan
  • a 2 liter round glass backing pan with lid

Serving Dishes
  • a large plastic salad bowl
  • a plastic picture

Other:
  • 2 dish towels
  • two hot pads.
  • a dish drainer

If you were going to be living in this flat for a year what things (if any) would you want enough to buy or ship from home, knowing it would be expensive to ship anything back at the end of your stay.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Rice cooker. I use mine almost every other day.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second the rice cooker. I'd also get a better knife and a cutting board. And a collander. And some chopsticks. And a coffee maker of some sort. I'm guessing that last item wouldn't see a lot of use in your kitchen, though.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

Oh, and I'd also have to get some containers to store leftovers in.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
My cast iron skillet would be in my carry-on. I don't think I'd be able to stand working with just non-stick aluminum pans. They're fine for eggs, but suck on just about everything else.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Proper knives, chopping board, colander or sieve. Cake tins? Mixing bowl? Measuring jug?
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
A big bottle of Mount Gay sipping rum, and an easy chair.

(assuming T&T is Trinidad and Tobago ...)

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I'd put all of that in storage (so they can be returned when I move out) and restock the kitchen entirely. Especially since you intend to stay there for an extended period of time. If you don't want to incur the expense of shipping it all back, you could maybe garage-sale unwanted items at the end of your tenancy. (edited to remove Craiglist and Freecycle ideas)

I'll second all of the above. I love my electric water kettle (I'm not a coffee drinker but adore my tea). My crock pot is now seeing quite a bit of use. A toaster or toaster-oven.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Honestly, I'd put all of that in storage (so they can be returned when I move out) and restock the kitchen entirely.
I've shipped most all my kitchen stuff with a few exceptions like my grandmother's china, but they won't be here for another week or so I've had to live for nearly 4 months with the stuff provided.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
When I moved to Hawaii, I was moving into a similarly furnished house. I had my kitchenaide stand mixer, a good chef's knife and a couple of nice stainless steel spoons in my checked bags. I've been able to get everything else I need since I've been here bit by bit. Is there no local availablity for those kinds of things there?
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally can't stand plastic spatulas, so I'd grab a metal one. Also, a nice cheese grater to serve the late night nacho cravings.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Chopsticks, multi-functional for both eating and cooking a fair number of foods. It probably won't be applicable to you though.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
A wok. Because you can steam, stir fry and sautee in it.

<---misses being able to use his wok on a gas stove.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Chopsticks, multi-functional for both eating and cooking a fair number of foods. It probably won't be applicable to you though.

Actually, chopsticks were one of the things we brought in our luggage.

And perhaps I confused people when I said less hypothetical. Since I'll be here for 5 years, I shipped almost all my kitchen stuff including my 20 different cake pans. But I'm now into my forth month and my stuff hasn't arrived (maybe next week?). So while I've been personally struggling with question of how much to go and buy when I know that eventually my stuff will get here, I've also been thinking about my various neighbors who are here for a much shorter time and wondering what things I'd get if I were only here for 6 months to a year.

So while this is less hypothetical than the 5 utensil's thread, its still a hypothetical "If you were one of my neighbors who'd be here for 1 year, what would you buy to augment the kitchen?"

Jake
Member # 206

Oh, I forgot about a toaster. I'd definietly want one if I were going to be living there for a year. That or a toaster oven, either one. And like amira said, measuring utensils would be good. And a can opener, as you just mentioned in the 5 utensils thread, would be good to have as well.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Rice cooker. I use mine almost every other day.

I cook rice almost every day myself but I left the rice cooker back in the states for my husband (the compromises of marriage). Since I'll be getting it back along with my husband in a couple of months I've been settled for cooking my rice the old fashioned way. In a sauce pan on the stove.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.