FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This seems a little too good to be true

Author Topic: This seems a little too good to be true
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Ridiculously cheap glasses

Most of my coworkers have ordered glasses from this site, and have been pleased with the quality of what they've gotten. I'm skeptical, though--the merchandise on the site is just absurdly inexpensive, and I find myself imagining them being made in 3rd world sweatshop conditions or something. Anybody know anything about this company?

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, but I've been reasonably pleased with http://www.39dollarglasses.com (remembering that you get what you pay for; they are good FOR THE PRICE, can't beat what I get at my optometrist's office for quality, but much cheaper. Good for backups and such.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Among other things, I'm pretty sure the lenses are of a cheaper material than most opticians use (although they'll upgrade for an additional fee, natch) -- and the lower index means thicker lenses.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Could you order just frames and get the prescription cut locally?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Those are crazy cheap. I'm with you, Jake, I'd be afraid that there was something extremely hinky going on there.

I've never needed glasses for everyday use, but now that I'm over the big four-O, I have reading glasses. I have 2 pairs of prescription ones I've gotten with my insurance (every 2 years I get a new pair with a minimal deductible) and 3-4 drugstore pairs that I keep in my desk at work, in my kitchen for reading itty-bitty labels & recipes, and in my purse. 5 of my 6 children need full-time glasses, however (I tell them it's their dad's fault, and in THIS case, I'm right). I've learned in the past 10 years or so, contact lenses are less expensive than glasses, so we've gone that way. It's nice to have a back up pair, though, especially once they start driving.

I think I'll still stick with my optometrist though.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
At a former employeer, I used to have perscription safety glasses made for our employees who needed perscriptions. My experience was that the commercial mark-up on lenses and frames was between 300% and 1000%. I don't know these guys. But, I do know that it would be possible to provide good quality glasses for much less than we usually pay.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Long shipping times, and they come from China or Hong Kong.

A very unhappy customer.

Mixed reviews.

More mixed reviews.

Happy customer.

Very happy customer.

A couple thoughts after skimming those: a brick-and-mortar optician or optometrist will measure pupil distance and several other things. They use a specialized instrument and they are trained in its use. If I measured my kids, odds are I'd be off a bit. If I had to guess, I'd say that wouldn't necessarily be noticeable, but might cause eyestrain and headaches.

Also, some of these people are comparing to the expensive in-house offices that many eye doctors have. Find a small local optician -- by word of mouth, if possible. IME, they are far cheaper, they often have inexpensive frames (discontinued models and the like), and they will make free adjustments if your kid manages to torque the frames a month or two later. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My optometrist was quite happy to measure my pupil distance for me and write me a prescription to be filled elsewhere that included pupil distance.

He's a cool guy. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I read an article about this last year from someone I trust who was really happy with it. . .

Ah, here it is.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.