FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Official BSG Season 4 Discussion Thread (Page 6)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: The Official BSG Season 4 Discussion Thread
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it did get the Quadrangle of Doom really rolling, I'll give you that.
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Hheheh... I liked the Quad of Doom myself. [Smile]

I really liked Season 3 in it's entirety...even though the mid-late episodes left the grand arc they developed the characters and civilization that was developing on the ships of the fleet.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about "least favorite", but the last episode was definitely among my favorites. Side topics are ok, but they've got important topics to see to an end during this season, and it seems like they're advancing in most of them. (I'm still wondering what's with the Caprica Six, Roslin and Athena in the opera hall thing.)
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched all of these back-to-back just this week, so I have to go back and look up all the episode titles you guys are talking about. I don't remember any specific episodes being all that bad, just moments where the writing/acting/storyline was a little off. The Black market episode and the Woman King were your regular character development type episodes.

I'm not mistaking anything when I say "least favorite". That's how I felt, not an objective analysis of how well it was written and acted. I'm not saying it wasn't well done, just that it's my least favorite in terms of what happened. So, to agree with you, it's my least favorite because it's so sad--with the cylons turning on each other, Starbuck being shunned, and the fleet slowly deteriorating into chaos--very depressing episode.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. In general, the sadder an episode is, the MORE I'm likely to like it. There's a reason why "The Body" is among my favorite episodes of Buffy. [Wink] I'm much more likely to hate an episode if I feel like the plot twists are contrived or the dialogue is hackneyed/ anvilicious- hence my distaste for "The Passage" and "The Woman King." Fortunately, BSG's actors are, for the most part, all good enough that bad acting is almost never the issue.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
To clarify, I'm not saying that sad = bad episode. I like sad episodes, too. There's no doubt that this is an intense and often depressing show. I guess I just really wanted to see Calli and Tirrel win in the end.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
In general, the sadder an episode is, the MORE I'm likely to like it.

Yeah, me too. I loved the start of S3, there was a relentlessness to it that reminded me of S1, and in turn of Titus Andronicus, of all things.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm somewhat upset. They killed my favorite minor character.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Heh. In general, the sadder an episode is, the MORE I'm likely to like it. There's a reason why "The Body" is among my favorite episodes of Buffy. [Wink] I'm much more likely to hate an episode if I feel like the plot twists are contrived or the dialogue is hackneyed/ anvilicious- hence my distaste for "The Passage" and "The Woman King." Fortunately, BSG's actors are, for the most part, all good enough that bad acting is almost never the issue.
I hate depressing TV and movies. That's not why I watch TV or movies. The same goes for books actually. I can recognize it as well done. But I don't enjoy it, and if I don't enjoy it it beats the point. I didn't enjoy last weeks episode.

I can take some depression, but it needs to be linked with good. As in the final arc of Buffy's Season Six where it's 4 episodes of pain but with such a bittersweet ending so as to make it worth it.

It remains to be seen whether or not there will be enough happiness, or bittersweet linked with Cally's death for me to eventually like the arc that includes it... thus far I'm not liking it.

I mean above and beyond it being sad, the way it came at the end of an episode like that with little to no follow up. And the way you thought Tory was going to talk her down from it... it felt empty. The point was simply the uttershock. It was a Whedon. As with Tara and Wash's deaths. Unexpected, largely pointless, and with no in show time for mourning.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
i think cally wouldve blown the whistle.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
After bringing Starbuck back from the dead, I wonder if they felt that they had to kill off someone that fans like for the sake of reestablishing that the characters actually are in danger.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that is a Whedonian rationalization.

I think Whedon half killed his characters just for shock and half to remind you of their mortality. Though, frankly I think Whedon has bigger issues since he refuses to let any of his relationships settle happily, they are always either constant fits of turmoil and betrayal or are composed of stubborn twosomes that never fire on all cylinders, and he can never let us keep the characters we fall most in love with, the quirky ones.

I think he has an issue with letting his viewing audience be happy, for whatever reason.

Moore I think on the other hand probably killed Callie for a couple reasons. 1. Stir up intrigue in the ship. SOMEONE had to find out these guys were Cylons, or else there'd be no storyline on the ship, so now there are questions. 2. Push Tyrol. He's been waffling, and leaning towards Callie and some sort of settling of his issues, and since he won't know that what's her name killed Callie, they'll draw closer (setting up the inevitable instance where Tyrol learns the truth and offs her) and he'll hate Callie as a result, thinking she went off on him and committed suicide. 3. Yes, to remind us of their mortality, since it has been so long since an actual character was killed, let alone a recurring one.

Her death wasn't just shock value, it'll have major reprecussions.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, it's not like the ending of Serenity, where we have major character death about 15 minutes before the end of the movie. Yes, the episode ended abruptly, but we have an entire season left to deal with it!
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they actually show some more mourning for Cally...al la Starbuck. We'll see...

ANYWAY...check this out!
The Galactica interview at NYC Comic-Con!
http://video.scifi.com/player/?id=243188

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

What time does the episode start to show up on scifi.com?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they've stopped doing that - from what I can see, they're only showing a promo tomorrow at noon, not the full episode anymore.

They might be up after the television showing, though - I haven't a clue.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

Well that just stinks. At least they didn't stop last week, though, since I had no tv access all weekend starting from a few hours before the show was aired. If it hadn't been available online beforehand, I think I would have gone crazy. I'm surprised I didn't see it announced anywhere, though.
ricree101
Member # 7749

It's on, but the sound is off synch for me.

Edit:
And it just got randomly cut off partway through the episode. I suppose that clears up exactly what was meant by a preview. I still don't get why they don't just do it like last week, I mean, they're still getting ads in every couple minutes.

Edit again:

And now a storm just knocked out sci-fi mid show. It looks like someone doesn't want me to watch this episode.

[ April 25, 2008, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: ricree101 ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

This is one trippy episode.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
If you miss out on the show when it broadcasts, you can catch it on hulu.com, legally.

Also, I totally agree. One trippy episode.

Also, also, Lee really, really needs a haircut.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

But if he gets a haircut, he can't show off how civiliany he is now. I wonder what will happen when Lee reports back to Roslin about Tory's presence at the meeting, or if it's not even that big a deal. It looks like stuff hits the fan next episode.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

OMFG... Head Six has power over the physical world!!!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah that was weird.

She's never yet taken such direct control over his body before, literally making him do things he expressed a desire NOT to do. That was new.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

She's for sure not a halucination of any kind.
Nice to see some physical proof after all this time.

aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
I am now completely convinced that head six is an "angel" of the 13th lord of Kobol. The one that wanted to place himself above the other 12. Head Six kept harping on how the other gods had to be destroyed and how they were fighting back. I don't think she was being completely metaphorical.
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

You think that proved that she was real but somehow invisible in both sight and sound to everyone but Baltar?

I don't know what she is specifically, but I do think that she's in his head, and I think that she's not real in the sense that she isn't corporeal, she can't manipulate the real world. I think she took control of his body and made it move in a way that made it look like she was picking him up, but really he was just getting up really awkwardly as he fought her control. It was a physical display of the mental battle.

Still, nice to see her back and Head Gaius gone.

Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the episode Six Degrees of Seperation? Didn't Head Six show up on Galactica in person and try to frame Baltar? Or was that another Six because she vanished and was never seen from again.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Ah ha!
And while Shelly Godfree was out in the world Six was gone from his head.

ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Still, nice to see her back and Head Gaius gone.

I wonder if they're ever going to explain that, or if it was just a random one time thing.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this ep showed that Head Six has power over the physical world. She simply convinced Baltar that she was lifting him up and his body acted accordingly.

mind > matter

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

Nevertheless, it's pretty clear that at least three of the Fracked Four are starting to lose it, a bit. Tory's becoming much more Cylon-like, while Tyrol and Tigh are both seeing things. No clue about Anders, but they just didn't show him yet. Also, was I the only one that got the impression from Six's reaction to Tigh, there at the very end, that she's kinda figured out what he is?
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't anyone else catch Tyrol's reaction to touching Tori at the funeral? He touched her and he knew something? That was different.

Yes, I agree, one trippy episode.

I don't think that Caprica knows anything about Tigh other than she thinks that she can help him. However I would bet that she is the first of all of the cylons to find out who the frakked four are. Except for D'anna, but she is currently out of commission, so she doesn't count.

Also I agree that Head Six picking up Baltar is new. They did not shoot that to make it look like he was doing it. They shot it to make it look like he was being held up by some invisible force. That was very weird. Not sure how that all fits it. Seems a little too metaphysical for the show, but it definately added a spookiness factor to the scene.

Is she real? It's hard to watch and say that she only exists in Baltar's mind. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that it is impossible for a human body to pull off those positions naturally. I think that if you add that in with the whole Shelly Godfry episode, you have a real case for saying that she really exists.....somehow.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Speaking of D'anna and her visions...
The FF are those Beings of Light...which one was she apologizing to at the Eye of Jupiter do you think?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Tigh. Although really it could have been any of them.

I'm looking forward to how things go when D'anna comes back. And I'm looking forward to seeing more of the civil war. This week's was mostly setup for future eps I think.

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:
Speaking of D'anna and her visions...
The FF are those Beings of Light...which one was she apologizing to at the Eye of Jupiter do you think?

The fifth. Obviously. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Obviously. [Wink]
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

There does seem to be a trend with the eye thing.
Red eyes of the Cylons, Eye of Jupiter, Tigh's missing eye, Anders for-one-second red eye. Probably nothing, but a fun little somethin' to notice.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it was when she apologized that I decided that Tigh had to be one of the final five. So naturally, I still think that who she was apologizing to.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

I agree with Shigosei. I think that D'anna was apolgizing to Tigh.

Also, is it just me or do we not have as much to converse about this season? I mean, I realize that we are 6 pages into this thread, but it seems like that there just isn't a ton of speculation going on around here.

Not that I have anything new to add....... [Smile]

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Probably because this is like Return of the King... no more setup... all resolution. [Smile]

Looks like Leoben is coming to Starbucks ship in a heavy Raider. Will he know about where she's been? Was he the one who really saved her instead of some mysterious Lord of Kobol/force?

I betcha if he isn't offed right away he'll be part of the crew...AND Starbuck might just fall for him!

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
All resolution? What has been resolved so far?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Or will be resolution and we know it.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

So then you're saying that the setup is over and the resolution hasn't started yet, which means that we're kind of coasting at the moment. Maybe that's why there's not much to talk about right now.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Did any of you know that on the 1 minute recap that plays on Scifi.com that Head Six is referred to as "Chip Six"? That's interesting. Are telling us something about the nature of Head Six?

Also, RDM said in the podcasts (they are now up on Scifi.com in case any of you are interested) that in the end there will be an explanation of what the Head characters mean. I think that there are plenty of clues pointing to the idea that Head Baltar and Head Six are more substantial then just figments of imagination.

[ April 29, 2008, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: ReddwarfVII ]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Yes John, that's pretty much it. We're all waiting to see if our many theories will pan out or not.

And podcasts! Finally! [Big Grin]

sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think somewhere in the first season, Baltar speculated on the nature of Head Six and at some point suggested that she was the product of a chip that may have been inserted in his brain. Don't remember where that line of thought ended up though, or even if it actually happened on the show, or only in my imagination.
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

There was an episode where he had a brain scan performed on himself, and it came up completely negative. They've established pretty firmly that it's not a chip.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

. . . at least not one that can be detected with a brain scan.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Since they can't detect Cylons, I'd be surprised if they could detect chips.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Just to clarify, it was Six herself in the Miniseries pilot who suggested that she was a chip in Baltar's brain that she implanted while he was sleeping.

And in the sixth or so episode of Second Season they did the brainscan that proved(?) there was no chip... but Baltar said she wasn't just a halucination because she knew things... and that was when Six finally came out and said she was an angel sent from God to guide and watch over him.

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.