FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Official BSG Season 4 Discussion Thread (Page 7)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: The Official BSG Season 4 Discussion Thread
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Since they can't detect Cylons, I'd be surprised if they could detect chips.

Yes they can detect Cylons. Baltar's machine works.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Baltar's machine works, but nobody other than him knows that, so they don't know that they can detect Cylons.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Baltar even remember he has a Cylon detector these days?
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
wel not anymore he gave away the nuke.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Good point.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Did he actually need the nuke for the detector, or was that part of some plan of Head Six's?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Hmmmm, another good point. I'm not sure, although it wouldn't surprise me if he did need it.
Carrie
Member # 394

The line was something about specifically needing the plutonium from the nuke and using some sort of radiation ...

Man, that episode aired a long time ago. [Smile] And it's been a while since I've seen it, as well.

ETA actual dialogue (now done right...)

quote:
Baltar: Technically, I need the plutonium inside.
#6: Figure out the rest for yourself.
Baltar: As you may know, the Cylons are susceptible to certain kinds of radiation. And by taking the plutonium and... (figuring it out) embedding it in the carbon nanotube matrix... and it really is that simple... I can construct a filter that will preferentially ionize synthetic molecules and, thus, deliver to you your Cylons.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here is a fantastic post about who the final cylon could be. It takes the conversation in a completely different direction away from where we are at and I really like it. Not so sure that his reasoning is all that sound, but enough of it adds up that I am about 60% convinced he is correct. One thing I do like is that he does tie a lot of little pieces from all of the seasons together to make his argument pointing to this person as the final cylon. Check it out if you want. I wouldn't call this spoiler information since it is a fan's speculation.
Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, some reasons are interesting, but I'd rather have Starbuck, Gaius or Roslin be the last Cylon. From a "solve the puzzle" point of view it would be interesting to realize beforehand that it's a secondary character based on minor details; but from a "character" point of view I'm not interested in going back and rationalizing a secondary character's actions because he/she's revealed to be a cylon with less than a season to go. I'd rather do that with a character that took part in some really important scenes and also openly made some really important decisions. Using a secondary character seems like a cop-out...

That said, the BSG creators haven't disappointed me yet. I hope they also won't in the future. [Smile]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
Hmm, some reasons are interesting, but I'd rather have Starbuck, Gaius or Roslin be the last Cylon. From a "solve the puzzle" point of view it would be interesting to realize beforehand that it's a secondary character based on minor details; but from a "character" point of view I'm not interested in going back and rationalizing a secondary character's actions because he/she's revealed to be a cylon with less than a season to go. I'd rather do that with a character that took part in some really important scenes and also openly made some really important decisions. Using a secondary character seems like a cop-out...

Well said.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Along with all that has been said so far in this article it has been said in one of the episodes (which I can’t remember which episode) that the final Cylon has the power to control all the rest of the Cylons.
This is a major flaw in the guy's thinking, because no where in the series did anyone say this.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

I'm not even bothering with the preview this week. I would rather watch the entire episode in one sitting than be left hanging after 10 minutes of goodness.
Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't resist Reddwarf... [Big Grin]
I have to watch!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:
I can't resist Reddwarf... [Big Grin]

No one can resist Reddwarf!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

[ROFL]
Oh Reddwarf, I canno resist you!

ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

I know, I know. My wife and all my former girlfriends said that I am irresistable. You just aren't telling me anything new! [Big Grin] [Blushing]
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
is anyone else getting more and more of an L. Ron Hubbard vibe from Baltar this season?
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight's epsiode? Meh.

I was pretty unenthused. Felt like mostly filler with a little bit of good stuff at the very end.

Get on with it!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well that episode was a non-starter. It was just one big build up to next weeks episode! Nothing happened that wasn't completely revealed in the preview. Booo...

I feel like BSG has lost it's balance. It had it in the first season and through a good part of the second season. It had the right balance of good stuff and bad stuff, fast pacing and settle down pacing, stops and starts, when to continue with the main plot and when to play with side plots.

Now... eh...

Maybe I'm just idolizing the shows glory days cause I'm disenchanted with it lately, I dunno.

On another note, I really wanna see Chief and Boomer get back together. I feel like they could heal each other...

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

What be you talking about?
This season is on fire! [Smile]

This is some great buildup and the eeire feeling is powerful. If they didn't show the breakdown of the crew I would have been disapointed...I like seeing how things develope...and the anticipation is half the fun of seeing big explosions or revelations.

I really liked when the Chief strangled Baltar for his insulting Cally's name. Take that Baltar!

[ May 03, 2008, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting thought (assuming everyone and everything in the show is proven fallible)...

What if Helo is the fifth Cylon, and Hera isn't the first child from a Cylon and Human pairing. It would make Cally's and Tyrrol's child that hybrid instead...

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Ron Moore has said that the fifth Cylon is not in the Last Supper picture, so it can't be Helo.
Alcon
Member # 6645

Or either of the Adama's or Roslin for that matter.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

The pace is killing me, but I agree with Telp, you need the setup of the crew's discontent. This ep was slow, but in a season of everything non-stop, you need slow ones to develop sub-plots and character so the fast ones don't just seem to come out of nowhere.

Actually the pacing in this ep wasn't slow as much as it was relentless and deliberate. You could feel the frustration and floundering going on early in the ep, but once Leoban showed up, it became, it changed. The pace was still slow, but it was like a badly wounded person rising with determination and will and beginning a march to the inevitable. Dogged and desperate determination. That's the theme of this season, the last gasp, the final fight, the next evolution.

Still frustrating as hell to watch....

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Architraz Warden:
Interesting thought (assuming everyone and everything in the show is proven fallible)...

What if Helo is the fifth Cylon, and Hera isn't the first child from a Cylon and Human pairing. It would make Cally's and Tyrrol's child that hybrid instead...

The problem with that is that for now we know that cylons can't have children together. Ok, maybe a first seven cylon and a final five cylon can, that was never said, but it would be kind of a stretch.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

That and Head Six told Baltar that the first child of God's new generation would be born on Galactica...ie Hera...as Nicky was born on New Caprica.
Alcon
Member # 6645

Well, she also told him explicitly that Hera was that child.

I dunno how much we can trust what she says though.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

New episode tonight!
Looks like a doosy!

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Good episode this week, next week looks good as well.

Still, for how many episodes there are left, they'd better get a move on.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Can't we just get D'Anna back and be done with it already? [Smile]

This was a lot better (IMHO) than the previous few episodes.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

26 episodes in total... right?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Pretty sure the total for this season is 22, and two of those were Razor, so, 20 really. We've already had six, as of this week, and 11 total were filmed before the writer's strike hit. In five weeks you get "Revelations," which is the last episode written (11th) before the strike began, and was written as a possible cliffhanger before yet another hiatus, in which we'll have to wait many, many months to get the last nine episodes, should they choose to do it that way.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I've not watched "Faith" yet, but I just had a thought...

The President is a religious icon in her own right. Could there be a conflict between Baltar, the One God, versus Laura, the Many Gods?

I would think this would be not only a really fun plot device to follow but also important to fill in basic plot threads started back in first season with the President and people near on worshiping her to the point they'd follow her potentially to their deaths.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Oh wow.
Just finished watching it on Hulu.
What a great episode.
Was reduced to tears when Laura talked about her mother...freaked out by the Hybrid Core's prophecy...and totally moved by Laura's dream and conversation with Bill. Super awesome episode.

Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Easily the best episode of the season so far. Just awesome. The writing and acting were among the best this show has ever produced, and that is saying a whole lot.

Can I just say, the Hybrid's banshee howl was freaking terrifying. It sounded halfway between a scream of defiance and a pure musical note. Coupled with that blank expression and the way the sound just kept going on and on while chaos surrounded it... wow. It was one of the single most frightening things I've ever seen on TV, in a really good way. Massive kudos to the actress who plays the hybrid, and to the sound designers who shaped the scream, for so successfully scaring the bejeezus out of me.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
It's still proof that Sam Anders cannot make a single logical decision about Starbuck and have it last even an episode. But, disregarding that, this episode was intense. I also loved/was shocked by the scene where Anders relents about killing the Six model--and Natalie forces him to fire the gun, and then makes a comment about being sick of human justice. Tricia Helfer was outstanding in this episode, as was Mary McDonnell.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zenox
Member # 8987

- posted      Profile for Zenox   Email Zenox         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure Natalie didn't make him fire the gun. I think she moved his hand away to stop him from shooting the other 6, and he shot as soon as she tried to stop him. I could have seen it wrong though.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zenox:
I'm pretty sure Natalie didn't make him fire the gun. I think she moved his hand away to stop him from shooting the other 6, and he shot as soon as she tried to stop him. I could have seen it wrong though.

I don't think you can tell for sure, but I was definitely under the impression that she pulled the trigger. For one thing, the way she was talking beforehand seemed to be leading up to it. Also, she didn't just grab the gun, she grabbed the trigger area. My take on the scene is that she didn't want the alliance to derail, and saw that it would be difficult to make it work so long as the issue of the six was still in the back of everyone's mind like that.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

No, Natalie definitely forces him to pull the trigger. That's why the other Six says "I'm glad it's you" to Natalie and kisses her: she knows that either way, she is going to die (indeed, she wants it), and she'd rather die at the hand of one of her own.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah, I also think it was clear that Natalie pulled the trigger.

That scene was a riptorrent of emotion. We went from being shocked at what the Six had done, to being shocked at what the woman she'd killed had done, to not wanting her to die so much, to being shocked when Natalie offed her. Talk about a turnaround.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

As Tarrsk said, this is definitely the best episode of the season so far (though the premiere was pretty good too). It's great to see some forward plot motion after a couple episodes that felt like they were stalling. The scenes with Roslin were especially good, particularly the last one with Adama.

So, stupid question: where are the Threes actually being kept? Are they on a resurrection ship somewhere? On a basestar? Somewhere else?

sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I would guess that the easiest way to "Box" a model would be to kill them simultaneously and just turn off the auto-revive thing on the Resurrection Ships so they stay dormant. Also, the last scene with D'Anna was in the goo, so I assume they stayed there.
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

My guess is that there are few, if any, Three "bodies" left even in the tanks on the Resurrection Ships. The strong impression I've always gotten from the term "boxed" is that the downloaded minds and memories of the Threes are kept in a hard drive somewhere, ready to be uploaded into bodies if and when they are once again made available.

I can't see the Cavils being careless enough to allow inactive Three bodies to be made and kept alive in the tanks- it'd be too easy for someone to get in to the Resurrection Ship and activate them. Better to destroy the bodies and keep the minds in storage, so that anyone seeking to resurrect the Threes would need to figure out how to make some bodies first.

Carrie
Member # 394

Didn't Cavil say something about going to "the hub" to resurrect the Threes when he was making his "concessions" to Natalie?

When the Threes were boxed, there was that huge room with balconies and craploads of goo-tanks - which we've never seen on a regular Resurrection Ship and doesn't seem like it would even fit in the space of said Ship. I'm guessing there's some central hub where the Threes are kept.

SPOILERS for future episode titles...

And there's an episode called "The Hub" coming up (4x09, I think).

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:

So, stupid question: where are the Threes actually being kept? Are they on a resurrection ship somewhere? On a basestar? Somewhere else?

The Number One's have talked about a Central Resurrection Hub that needs to be accessed to revive the Three's.

Unless there are more than one of these Central Hubs this could be the core of the Cylon nation now that they've abandoned their homeworld. AND, if you slow down the trailer for the upcoming they show for a few frames what the Central Hub looks like. And it's pretty sweet. Kinda like a titanic Basestar with a bunch of Resurrection ships compressed in the middle. [Smile]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Hubs make sense for me because the Resurrection ship(s) always seemed pretty shoddy/flimsy... put together on the fly at the last second to save the Cylons who were chasing the RTF across the Galaxy. Now that they've become purely a spaceborn species as of 3rd Season they would have built more secure and reliable capital ships to transport all the hardware needed to move their massive civilization.

The problem is, once these ships are gone (as I have not doubt will happen) the Cylons are screwed big time.

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:

I can't see the Cavils being careless enough to allow inactive Three bodies to be made and kept alive in the tanks- it'd be too easy for someone to get in to the Resurrection Ship and activate them. Better to destroy the bodies and keep the minds in storage, so that anyone seeking to resurrect the Threes would need to figure out how to make some bodies first.

I don't know. Until recently, the whole idea of dissent seemed foreign to the Cylons. The final straw for the threes was that they went against group consensus, and when Boomer broke ranks with the other eights, it was treated as a completely unprecedented event.
I imagine that most of the bodies were simply put into storage on the off chance that they might need them some day, unless Cavil has decided to do something since the civil war started.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:

I don't know. Until recently, the whole idea of dissent seemed foreign to the Cylons. The final straw for the threes was that they went against group consensus, and when Boomer broke ranks with the other eights, it was treated as a completely unprecedented event.
I imagine that most of the bodies were simply put into storage on the off chance that they might need them some day, unless Cavil has decided to do something since the civil war started.

The difference is that Boomer, as an individual, broke ranks with her model line while the Three's broke the Consensus in their entirety.

And as was fist mentioned in 2nd Season "Downloaded" the Cylons have a word they use, implying they've had to do it before, to deal with rogue or malfunctioning Cylons: Boxing.

Why box, or put into cold storage, the conciousness of a particular Cylon (or in the ultimate extreme an entire line)? Because the Cylons do not kill each other (unless it's a mercy killing). Totally taboo and unheard of till "Downloaded" when Caprica Six killed D'anna. Thus the civil war, while horrible for any civilization, is particularly shocking for the Cylons.

So, it is no surprise the greater Cylon did not kill off the Three's and simply boxed them all. But now that the Consensus is broken and the Cylon Fleet split down the middle whoever has command of the ships with the Three's onboard has the power to reactivate them. I would assume the Cavil faction has the upper hand as they struck first and planned for the war.

ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:
AND, if you slow down the trailer for the upcoming they show for a few frames what the Central Hub looks like. And it's pretty sweet. Kinda like a titanic Basestar with a bunch of Resurrection ships compressed in the middle. [Smile]

Yes they do. Very cool.
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.