FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Need help, student survey

Author Topic: Need help, student survey
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all. I'm working on a paper on absentee voting, politics, and college students. Would anyone be willing to help me out by taking a short survey? It's about 10 questions - we're trying to figure out how to better encourage college students to vote. The link is here and we'd really appreciate your input. Thanks.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
So if I understand correctly, you're attempting to use a completely voluntary survey to reach students that *don't* vote. Ok then. [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Heh. My hope is that I'll get people who haven't been able to vote in the past, as well as those who have skipped voting.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
Done
Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Done. Good luck!
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Problems with the survey:

There is no appropriate answer for #2 or #9 if you aren't a student.

Question #4 assumes that you've not voted more than once in the past, or that the answer is the same for all past elections.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same question with #4. I've voted both at the polling place and via absentee ballot since I've been in college. (One was a primary, so I was home for it.)
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
#7 doesn't account for people who already vote absentee. How can I be more likely if I already do it? I could list why I didn't the year I didn't (I couldn't figure out how to get a ballot) or my failed attempt (I didn't receive my ballot until it was too late to get it back in time), but once I got those straightened out there really isn't anything to make me more likely to do it, because I already do.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
took it.

the problems with the survey already noted don't necessarily detract from its ability to measure things about students who don't vote. [Smile]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Done

I have the same problems as noted above. I've both voted at a polling place, and absentee.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

[Smile] Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback -- one of my goals in posting here was to give it a proper vetting. Got some really good quotes in the comments, too. I'm actually surprised that over 70% said that they'd vote today, if they could.

--j_k

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.