FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Recipe Challenge! (Are we finished?!) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Hatrack Recipe Challenge! (Are we finished?!)
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
My rhubarb is in the mail.

Where do you get rhubarb by mail order? Fresh or frozen?

I doubt they ship to T&T anyway. Even if they would, I hate to think what it would look like by the time it made it through customs.

I'm fairly confident that the tomato tamarind chutney I made would work equally well with rhubarb instead of tamarind. I'd probably have to adjust the amounts of vinegar and sugar a bit, but I did them by taste any way (measures are all approximate).

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Where do you get rhubarb by mail order? Fresh or frozen?

I know someone with a patch in their backyard. [Big Grin] (I can get it here; it's just much more expensive and not as good.)

quote:
I doubt they ship to T&T anyway. Even if they would, I hate to think what it would look like by the time it made it through customs.

Yeah, probably not a good idea. I checked California law very thoroughly the last time (although that time it came in my suitcase) to be sure it would be allowed through without problems.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I would give it a shot, if you thought it had a chance of making it. I sent it priority mail to rivka, which is flat-rate $9.80 within the US, but told her she could send me something interesting in exchange instead of paying the shipping.

They didn't even ask me if there was anything fragile, liquid, hazardous or perishable in the boxes this time.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

^ someone with a patch in their backyard [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the offer Eljay but there is no way produce from someones backyard would make it through customs.

Plus the price of shipping it here would make it worth its weight in gold.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hmmmm, USPS says it would cost $45 to send you 5 pounds with 5 day delivery. That's pretty pricey rhubarb.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Do they search everything? 'Cause quid didn't think the chocolate I sent her would make it, either, but it did. [Smile] I know the question is academic, 'cause $45 for rhubarb is ridiculous, but I'm curious.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

There is no way they can search everything but they do get a surprising fraction. Getting my shipment of household goods through customs was quite the ordeal. They didn't open every box but they came awfully close.

You do however have to declare every item you ship into the country. If they open the box and what's inside isn't what was declare you can end up in jail for smuggling. If ever I end up in jail, it won't be for smuggling rhubarb.

Chocolate wouldn't be a legal problem getting through customs in any country I've been in. The restrictions are usually against fresh fruits, vegetables and meats that haven't been properly certified as disease and pest free.

Chocolate might get stolen by a disreputable customs agent but it isn't banned.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
The biscuits and dumplings are the same recipe until the end -- it diverges after stuffing them -- baking for biscuits and boiling in broth for dumplings.

They were both good, but the dumplings that we had for lunch were so good that Bob asked me to make them again that same night for supper. And as soon as I pick up more sour cream I will probably make them again.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, let me know if it gets through the produce sniffing dogs... If it does, I want some... (Not of yours, I'll beg ElJay for my own. [Wink] )

The stuff she sent me in TX made the best rhubarb pie I've ever tasted. And I don't know why 'cause I'm pretty sure the stuff at the farmers' market gets to my table at about the same rate; I guess cold-grown rhubarb just tastes better.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*grin*

Unfortunately, the storm last night seems to have flattened what I had left. If it doesn't bounce back, you'll have to wait for next year.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Roasted Vegetable Kugel with Rhubarb Chutney

For the roasted vegetables: spray a couple of cookie sheets with olive oil spray and spread:
sliced mushrooms
thinly sliced yellow summer squash
sliced yellow onion
thinly sliced beet
and
whole okra pods

in a single layer. I segregated the veggies, so that if one cooked faster than the others, I could remove it from the sheet and leave the rest, but mostly I tried to make them all cook at the same time by adjusting the size of the pieces -- beets got cut smaller than mushrooms. Spray the tops of the veggies with olive oil spray and sprinkle with kosher salt and roast in a 425 oven for about a half hour, or until things are getting browned. Let cool, and then slice the okra.

For the kugel:
In a big bowl, dump 3 1/2 cups matzah farfel (or very broken up matzah). Mix 3 cups of hot water with an onion bouillon cube and pour that over the farfel. Beat two whole eggs with three egg whites, and mix in one pint fat free sour cream and 1/4 cup olive oil. Season with heavy salt and pepper. Add all your roasted vegetables, along with sliced sun-dried tomatoes, and a bag of leaf frozen spinach (still frozen). Mix that all together and bake in a greased lasagna pan at 375 for an hour, or until set.

For the chutney:

In a pot, cook:
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup dried cherries
2 peeled and cubed beets
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup red wine
2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp dry mustard

until syrupy. Then add 2 stalks sliced celery and a chopped yellow onion, and cook them until they are soft. Add 4 cups sliced rhubarb and cook, covered, until the rhubarb gets soft. You will have to stir this a few times. If it seems to be too dry, add more wine. Once the rhubarb is soft, stir in one finely minced jalapeño pepper, the grated zest of one orange, and the juice of one lime, and cook a bit longer. Let cool, and serve along with the kugel.

I own no camera, sorry guys.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
hey guys- I can't participate this week. I'm in the hospital with a p.e. [Frown]
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no! Horrible news. Thank G'd you are in the hospital getting that taken care of. I can certainly empathize; I had my first pulmonary embolus when I was 18, and I've lost count of how many I've had since.

Do they know what caused you to form the clot?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Oh, and we had the kugel for Shabbos. Fabulous!
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
hey guys- I can't participate this week. I'm in the hospital with a p.e. [Frown]

I'm sorry J'hai. Get well soon.
dkw
Member # 3264

Yikes! Get well soon.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That sucks, Jhai. Hope your recovery is quick!

My rhubarb arrived unscathed, and I picked up some frozen okra. The question is when will have time to do anything with it . . . probably a few days.

Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the good wishes, guys. I'm now out of the hospital, and feeling much better, but I seem to have replaced my body with that of an unhealthy 80-year-old: my resting heart rate has doubled, I get out of breath easily, and I nap, oh, about every 15 minutes. Needless to say, I doubt I'll be doing any cooking anytime soon. I look forward to reading about your recipes, though!

Tante, I have a few genetic clotting disorders, and have had my share of DVTs, so it wasn't completely unexpected. I take coumadin, but I'd gotten a bit lax lately in maintaining proper INR levels - so it's a bit of my own fault. Wasn't expecting massive clots in both lungs, though.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I, too, have a clotting disorder, related to lupus, and take coumadin and aspirin for it, every day. I'm happy not to have to take heparin three times a day any more.

I'm glad that you are out of danger and out of the hospital. Scary stuff, those PE's. I'm so glad that it wasn't worse. Take care of yourself and be well. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

Oh, and I suspect that I win this round. Rhubarb chutney on roasted vegetable kugel is awesome.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

I don't know, my South Asian Lasagna was quite excellent too.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Bah! Yours had hardly any rhubarb in it. Like, none at all. Rhubarb was the tricky part.

I still win. [Taunt]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Bah! Yours had hardly any rhubarb in it. Like, none at all. Rhubarb was the tricky part.

That's might be an easier argument to buy if what I'd done with my Tamarind (make a chutney) wasn't so incredibly similar to what you did with the rhubarb.
dkw
Member # 3264

I've already made the dumpling recipe three times, (although once was without the filling) and I bought stuff to make them again.

They are incredibly addictive.

rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, I'm cooking tonight!

Darn, no sour cream. Hmm, yogurt or pureed cottage cheese should work . . .

rivka
Member # 4859

Or unpureed, even. [Wink]

Quinoa & Vegetable Curry

1 pound okra, sliced
1 pound rhubarb, chopped
2 cans (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes
1 can water
1 T. curry powder
1 T. garlic powder
1 T. onion powder
1 (8 oz) can sliced mushrooms
1 pound cottage cheese
1 c. uncooked quinoa

In a large saucepan, mix okra, rhubarb, tomatoes, water (using the water to rinse the leftover tomato bits from the cans into the pot), and spices. Cook over high heat until a you have a thick, soupy mixture (stirring occasionally). Turn heat down to medium low, and stir in mushrooms, cottage cheese, and quinoa. Curry is done when the quinoa is translucent and softened.

The kids pronounced it "good!" And I agree, even though I can taste the okra. [Wink] It's a good thing I have so much rhubarb (thanks, ElJay!), though, or I'd consider it a criminal waste of rhubarb. [Big Grin]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Tumeric?
rivka
Member # 4859

Turmeric is the main ingredient in curry powder. Some kinds, anyway -- including the ones I buy.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

D'oh!
rivka
Member # 4859

To me, the most interesting thing about this round was the rhubarb. Everyone uses it as though it were a fruit most of the time, but it's actually a very versatile, tangy vegetable!
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Sound delicious rivka. I love quinoa.
rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, it has a lovely nutty flavor, and an indescribable texture -- not exactly a crunch, but almost. Sort of a pop.
dkw
Member # 3264

I just misread adjacent thread titles as "Hatrack Recipe Challenge! (Round 3 -- Obama cinches nomination!)"
dkw
Member # 3264

Is it time for the main course yet?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

We haven't heard anything from cmc yet.

cmc, Are you still planning to make something for round 3?

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
Is it time for the main course yet?

I am getting a bit peckish.
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent a message to The Rabbit a couple of days ago, but I can't participate. I've got some pregnancy stuff going on and I'm suddenly moving. I apologize.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I've got a bit of a problem with the next round.

I'm leaving town next Thursday and won't have a kitchen to cook in until mid July. If people want to get started on the next round, I'll be glad to coordinate even if I can't participate for awhile.

dkw
Member # 3264

I'm okay either way. If I get too antsy I might amuse myself by trying out other people's recipe from previous rounds. If a few of us did that it could keep the thread alive anyway. Or we could just dig it up again in July.

I'll be traveling the last week in July and first week in August, so if we could start the next round as soon as Rabbit gets back, that would work for me. Or else wait another two weeks.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I will use the time productively, trying to come up with confounding ingredients for the main course.

Marshmallows? Horseradish? Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter Crunch Cereal? Watermelon?

Gimme time. I'm fine waiting until next month.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Just remember, you will have to cook with that ingredient too.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Or pretend to. [Evil]
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Cap'n crunch contains gluten. So do many brands of marshmallows.

I think shallots would be a reasonable substitution for either one. [Evil]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
I'll be traveling the last week in July and first week in August, so if we could start the next round as soon as Rabbit gets back, that would work for me. Or else wait another two weeks.

I'm kitchenless for the first couple weeks of August. But mid-July is ok.

quote:
I think shallots would be a reasonable substitution for either one. [Evil]

I agree. In fact, I plan to substitute shallots for whatever weird ingredient Esther comes up with.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

We could have people submit their ingredients by early next week but then give every one until mid July to cook. That would be very flexible plus it would give people a lot of time to figure out how to make a main course with rutabagas, lima beans and marshmallows.
rivka
Member # 4859

You mean shallots, shallots, and shallots. [Wink]

I like the flexible timeline. I think it's a good idea.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Brilliant! I was talking with my kid about this today, and we already decided on an ingredient. When he asked me how I could use it, he said I'm like the Native Americans that use every part of the buffalo.

I wonder what they used the buffalo teeth for.

rivka
Member # 4859

As a substitute for shallots.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Jewelry.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
You mean shallots, shallots, and shallots.

Rivka? Is that you?
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.