FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » They were obsessed with these books, back in the day.

Author Topic: They were obsessed with these books, back in the day.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
It was in Junior High School (way back in the latter portion of the 80s) that I became aware of a certain book series that every girl in school seemed to be reading in the cafeteria during lunchtime. These books were traded with sidelong looks and anxious, crooked smiles. They were discussed in hushed, eager tones. The books were always checked out of the library. Always. I began to hear rumors from the other boys about these books...rumors that they contained bizarre, lascivious (probably not the -exact- words they used) acts.

I'm talking of course, about the Xanth series.

Kidding, kidding. It was Flowers in the Attic, and the seemingly endless supply of other V.C. Andrews books with extremely creepy-looking children on the cover and garish neon-colored titles.

Now in my adult years and vaguely intrigued by my faded memories, I decided to flip through the books the twelve year old girls were obsessed with.

...*...explicit incest, poisoning, murder, incest, adultery, incest, arson, fornication, incest, and more incest.

*blink-blink*

Kinda makes kids reading about talking animals or young wizards seem extremely harmless, doesn't it?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
At least it wasn't the 'Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.'
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Urg. I hate those books. I stopped after the dippy second one.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
My vague memory was that they were disturbing. I read the wikipedia summary and the summary convinced me they were even more disturbing then I remembered. I didn't read beyond the first one.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
You are lucky
The second one is TERRIBLE! Arg. Plus she was 15 years old! How are you going to do that with a 15 year old?
Not to mention the whole *shudder* and the writing, oh! The writing!
So BAD!
And you left out all of the suicide scenes, Puffy Treat. All the poison doughnut eating. *rolls eyes*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember going through a Goosebumps phase, back in the day. In retrospect I can't identify one thing appealing about them.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Goosebumps when I was really young, and collected Animorph books throughout junior high.

A friend of mind handed my Flowers in the Attic when I was I think a Sophmore in high school. It was insane. I can't remember what it's called, but maybe out of morbid curiosity, I read the sequel, which is easily 10 times crazier than the first one, both in absurdity and in its graphic nature.

They are the only VC Andrews books I have ever read, and I'm convinced that Andrews is SERIOUSLY messed up.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I never got into the VC Andrews books as a teen. Every now and then I would glance at the books that it seemed like all of my friends were reading and wonder why they were so obsessed, but that was about the time I really started to get into scifi, and I was busy reading other things.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
And you left out all of the suicide scenes, Puffy Treat. All the poison doughnut eating. *rolls eyes*

Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants has suicide scenes and poison doughnut eating?!

[Wink]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I mentioned poisoning, Syn.

I take it the "suicide scenes" are in the sequel(s)?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
You want to know what's really scary? I'm almost certain that an excerpt from Flowers in the Attic was included in one of our literature books (I want to say 7th grade). I never read any of them as a teenager, but my husband has a few. Flowers in the Attic is very disturbing, but the sequel is far, far worse. The ending of it is (unfortunately) seared into my mind, where the girl decides that she wants to run away and live with her brother, and lock their kids up the same way that she and her siblings were. Gah! I didn't read any of her other books after that. Enough was enough.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:
You want to know what's really scary? I'm almost certain that an excerpt from Flowers in the Attic was included in one of our literature books (I want to say 7th grade).

That is scary. Especially since none of the children in that story act, talk, or think like, yanno, actual kids. And they aren't unrealistic in a literary way...
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't read the VC Andrews books as a teen. I did read the first in my twenties when I finally heard of them. Of course I didn't read them - I learned about sex from the Clan of the Cave Bear series. *sigh*

Hmm...I thought it was fine. Lascivious, yes, but...the whole story is about changing from children into adults. I can see why they appeal - it's about a subject that is consuming their lives (I wouldn't return to the times of being a never-ending hormone bomb for anything) but they want to explore it in a safe context. The VC Andrews books are that safe context. Better than Xanth with its misogyny.

---

I didn't read the sequels, so I can't speak for them.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
I mentioned poisoning, Syn.

I take it the "suicide scenes" are in the sequel(s)?

Yeah, but I only read the second one.
Not to mention the whole smell in the attic part. That wasn't mentioned in the First book. urg. That book is so stupid compared to Homecoming and Dicey's song is what I thought after reading it in Jr. High School.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I read a lot of Bruce Coville books in elementary school. I still have a few, but I wish I had more of them. Great stuff for kids, better than a lot of the junk on the shelves.

I also loved Animorphs and read them for 3 years or so, until the series ended. I still have almost all of those (minus the few I never got around to buying). The writing was reaaaally uneven through the later parts of the series, but there is some surprisingly adult moral situations the kids are faced with. As kids books go, I think they're great.

But the best ever is still Gordon Korman (but not his newer stuff when he got all "literary"). I can't count how many times I've read I Want to Go Home!, Who is Bugs Potter?, Son of Interflux, Beware the Fish!, The Twinkie Squad and all the rest of them. Absolutely brilliant and genuinely laugh-out-loud funny. I wish so much that I'd brought a few of his books with me, because a) they're out of print and b) I don't think they've ever had them in England anyway.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Better than Xanth with its misogyny.

The sadistic, torturing granny and murderous, insanely flakey mother seem a -tad- on the misogynist side to me. And I won't even talk about what flipping through the sequel reveals about the lead character.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I loved Gordon Korman as a kid. [Smile]

Don't Care High is another good one.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I was vaguely aware of these books when I was in high school, since it seemed every other girl was reading one. But I never knew what they were about.

I just looked them on wiki. Yikes!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Yeah. Reading them, I found it hard to believe VC Andrews was -ever- an actual child.
katharina
Member # 827

She was evil - a character can be evil without being a stereotype.

Xanth's default characterization of women is very mysogynistic.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

That's just it...the women in the series are all portrayed as being evil because of their active desires. The men? Flawed because of their mistakes and quirks.

(Granted, this is just my surface impression. Then again, these books seem to be all surface.)

katharina
Member # 827

I didn't get the same thing out of the books at all. As a terribly simplified summary of characterizations: the grandmother was evil, the mother was weak, and the main character was valiant and wise.

And then there is Xanth, where a woman's value depends on the size of her boobs and women exist only to make men happy or miserable, depending on what time of the month it is. *wrinkles nose*

Xanth perpetuates misogyny. The VC Andrews books are about fighting back against misogyny.

---

I've been reading the summaries on wikipedia. Those are hilarious - everyone sleeps with everybody. It's like Torchwood.

[ April 11, 2008, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And then there is Xanth, where a woman's value depends on the size of her boobs and women exist only to make men happy or miserable, depending on what time of the month it is. *wrinkles nose*
How many of those books did you read? There's something like 30 of them, and I can think of 10 easy where the main hero is a woman and there's no aspect of them making men miserable or happy. I can only think of 3 or 4 books where your characterization applies.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I quit at around #19. I loved the books - don't get me wrong - but they still treat women will all the sophistication of a six-year-old Calvin.

---

Now I want to see if anyone has done a scholarly study of VC Andrews - the last book in particular looks ripe for analysis. The books have the men equate the beauty of women to the power women have, and the complicated tugs between beauty, money, power and love are fascinating. Apparently the reason Cathy's brother is her own true love is because he shares her looks and her origin so he doesn't fear or covet her power. Interesting.

No wonder teenage girls love it. It is terrifying to be happily wandering along in life being yourself and then suddenly your body hands you something that both makes you vulnerable (men want you) and makes you powerful (men want you) at the same time.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, in JR High I discovered Sci-Fi, Asimov, Clark, Tolkien, and the original Shanara.

And people thought my reading habits were questionable.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Come on, Xanth treats everyone and everything with the sophistication of a six year old Calvin, not just the women.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, Dan.

Okay, so reading The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant in grad 7 was probably questionable, but on the whole...

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Fighting back against misogyny?
Well, maybe. What's it called when other women are picking on other women?
Personally, if I had a daughter I'd rather her read the Tilerman series as it has very strong young and old women and no incest.
ew.

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I read a book by V.C. Andrews once when I was a teen. It was called 'My Sweet Audrina'.
From the title alone, you kind of knew it was going to be bad.
From what I remember, it's about a kid called Audrina turns out to have lost her memory.
Her father gives her all these fake memories and tells her she has a dead sister, also Audrina, who was wonderful and perfect.

Of course, it turns out that Audrina is really her own 'dead' sister, and lost her memory after having been raped when she was a little girl.
Not only that, but her aunt is the offspring of her father and his sister - so she's her sister too.
Plus, the sister/aunt is trying to steal Audrina's boyfriend and murder Audrina...

The strangest thing was that there are about four characters who die by falling down the stairs in their house.
The greatest mystery of all was… why did no-one just put up a handrail?
It would have saved them so much tragedy.

It was one of the most unintentionally hilarious books I have ever read.
In fact, I'm kind of tempted now to read it again.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.