FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer utility question

Author Topic: Computer utility question
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
For the umpteenth time, I've tried to delete a file only to be told:
code:
---------------------------
Error Deleting File or Folder
Cannot delete Othello: It is being used by another person or program.

Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.
OK

But I don't have any programs open that might be using the file. Not that I know of. Clearly, something is hanging on to it, but I have no idea what it is. But I figure that if Windows can identify the link, some other piece of software ought to be able to as well.

Does anyone know if there's such a utility? Something that'll tell you what's hanging on to a file you want to delete?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried booting Windows into safe mode?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a tool called "Sysinternals Process Explorer" which is good way of finding out what is running on XP (assuming you are running XP) and tracing dependencies.

Good luck.

Failing that, booting in safe-mode is a good call.

*edit for linky

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Rebooting always was enough for me.
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I'll try the process explorer. Rebooting is such a pain. I'm hoping that there's something I can use without having to reboot.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~erick/software/othello/
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~erick/software/othello/

Thanks, that looks interesting.

A friend also sent me this. I may try it as well. It looks like it's specifically for the kind of problem I'm having.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
[edit: Of course you'd post that while I was authoring this post (and taking a phone call).]

Use Unlocker. It's a great little piece of software that has cured me of this problem a million times over since I discovered it.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to piggyback on this thread rather than starting a new one.

Vista has a built-in backup program, but it doesn't seem to make backups of installed programs, windows, etc. It seems to just copy documents, music, photos, movies, and the like.

Pre-Vista, I used a program called TrueImage from Acronis to back up my files. This made a full back-up of everything that was restorable to a new partitition in case of catastrophic drive failure, and the image it made was also searchable if I needed to recover individual folders/files.

Does anyone know of a comparable back-up solution for Vista?

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
[edit: Of course you'd post that while I was authoring this post (and taking a phone call).]

Use Unlocker. It's a great little piece of software that has cured me of this problem a million times over since I discovered it.

You get a thanks anyway. I tried it, and it worked great.
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised Acronis doesn't work with Vista.

I've been using Terabyte Unlimited's "Image for DOS" or "Image for Windows". I've had no luck with it on Vista, but they may have updated since I tried it last year.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.