FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me critique my final project for web design!

Author Topic: Help me critique my final project for web design!
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that by now you are getting sick of me asking for help with my web design woes. But so far I feel pretty good about this project. I like the way I've designed it, and I like the uniformity of the pages and the navigation.

I was just wondering if any hatrackers had any advice, from either a design, content, or coding standpoint.

A few of the links are empty right now, so far I've done, "What are Shenanigans" "Where Do We Perform" and I'm working on "Games that we Play".

So take a look.

http://svu5.svu.edu/~braydencluff/shenanigans

Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
First thing to do is run each page through the markup validator. Right now, it shows several errors. You should also validate the CSS. Right now, the CSS seems fine.

When switching between "Games that We Play" and the others in that list, the title drops down in Firefox and is visually jarring. Also, the red bar should extend all the way down on all those pages for consistency.

If you use firefox, the web developer toolbar add on is a great way to get access to those tests. Also, I think it doesn't handle narrower width browsers gracefully. The WB toolbar can help test in different window sizes, too.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not loading at all for me.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

I have a page anchor above the header in games that we play, would that be what's causing that?
Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't open it.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you want comments on the text, or just the design?
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

Any and all comments are welcome.
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
When clicking between the various pages the side bar sometimes cuts off just below the last item and other times extends to the bottom of the window. That's kind of distracting. Also, the page shifts up and down a bit while clicking around - that's also distracting.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

By convention, clicking the title should take you back to the main page. It doesn't do this now.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

The spacing between the last item on the sidebar and the little graphic below it is not consistent across all pages.
MattP
Member # 10495

The "for more pictures click the refresh button" and "click the picture for more information" both seem a little strange. The user interface should be intuitive enough that you wouldn't need text describing how to use other user interface elements. Adding buttons or links that include the text "information" and "additional images" would be better.
MattP
Member # 10495

It's not obvious that the "CONTACT US" text on the main page is a link.
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

I've just changed the contact us on the main page to stick out a little bit more.

I'm working on the sidebar issues. The problem with the sidebars right now is that it's a repeating background image along the y-axis that only goes as far down as the content goes. Once I ad content to the empty pages and ad a few page breaks below the content, it should all be uniform.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I would have expected green as your main color, but maybe that's too cliche.

I would go ahead and make the home page a bit longer vertically. Your logo takes up almost half the space and the rest feels crammed unnecessarily. On my screen it looks long and skinny.

The inside pages don't match the home page consistently. You have a theater background on the home page and the other pages have a white background on that frame. Also, the home page is centered and the other pages are not. That lack of continuity is confusing--makes you wonder if you're still on the same site.

I like the design of the side navbar. However, suddenly you've got three fonts--a serifed, sans-serif Verdana, and that funky Hobo-looking font--all on the same screen. You should choose a main font and also a complimentary font for accent text.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a question...is there a reason you used a table for your layout instead of CSS?

I love the graphics. You're much better at that than I am. (I'm taking Advanced Web Page programming right now...here's my Beginning Web Pages final project from last fall (if you're interested): http://faculty.everettcc.edu/home/wfrankhouser/cp120/fall07/finalproject/studentProjects/pete_jennifer/

I strongly prefer a very consistent aesthetic, from homepage all the way through the site. So from that perspective, I would prefer to see you make your site all the same layout. I like the homepage layout and think you could do a lot just with it for the rest of the site.

Practically, I would increase the height of your home page (essentially making it taller, growing the menu and curtained area), utilizing the space where you have the curtains as your "main" area. I would also lay it out using CSS instead of a table, so that you could set that area to "overflow: auto". Leave everything else from page to page the same, just changing the "main" area for content.

Overall, I like the direction you're going. It's very clean looking and again the graphics are a real strength. Looking at your site, I think I'm going to focus on getting better at the graphics side...up to now I've been focusing on the programming side.

When is it due?

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.