FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Israel Bombs Syria's Nuclear Reactor (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Israel Bombs Syria's Nuclear Reactor
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, 11 nuclear facilities bombed? The only other one I remember is the Iraqi Osirak reactor the Israelis bombed in 1981. And we bombed it again in Gulf War I.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I don't believe either of them.

Ahh, but what if each said the other was lying? Then would you believe them both? </silliness>
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Destineer:
the humanitarian cost of airstrikes is much lower than that of invasion. The US used to know this (eg Bosnia).

I'm not sure the Bosnians would agree. Certainly we caused fewer direct civilian deaths, but it's plausible that a more sufficient force could have prevented many of the Serbian atrocities.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
[
quote:
Originally posted by Destineer:
the humanitarian cost of airstrikes is much lower than that of invasion. The US used to know this (eg Bosnia).

Did you mean Kosovo? NATO had ground troops in Bosnia but bombed Serbia to stop atrocities in Kosovo before any NATO ground troops were deployed there.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
[QB] There is an election coming up. They could be looking at trying to play up the threats again.

That could be it, but this seems way too early for a move like this to be of much value for McCain. I'd think that they'd wait until October before trying something like this.

Here is ArmsControlWonk's post on the subject, with some decent (and some idiotic) commentary posted by readers.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Here is ArmsControlWonk's post on the subject, with some decent (and some idiotic) commentary posted by readers.

Hey, cool link! I'm subscribing to the wonk.

Interesting video and photos. It'll be interesting to see how this story keeps developings.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

It's a great site, isn't it?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes indeed. It goes well with http://www.armscontrol.org/act/ and http://www.carnegieendowment.org/npp/

(I'm taking a class on arms control/terrorism, and we're supposed to find supplemental readings..)

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Ah, those look like they'll be great! Thanks!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That could be it, but this seems way too early for a move like this to be of much value for McCain. I'd think that they'd wait until October before trying something like this.
Agreed. Voters have mayfly memories. It'd have to be pretty big for it to still change the election six months from now. A blip on the news that most people won't remember by May doesn't count.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.