FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Our newest ketchup-- Pics and birth story links now up, p 2 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Our newest ketchup-- Pics and birth story links now up, p 2
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Imogen: She'll be able to RF until 35 lbs. (they're working on 50 but that's won't be a while) which is at least 2 for most kids-- Bridey just about hit the limit (hers had the old limit of 33 lbs., unfortunately, but Maggie's was manufactured this year and has 2 more lbs.) at 2 and we had to FF her (but I know in other countries they're rated to different levels so check out the website for your country-- www.skjp.com is their website and will give you a "country" option), and anyway after that it will go to 65 lbs. but knowing my kids they'll outgrow it by height well before weight. However even tall kids usually last until 6 or 7 in this seat and unlike others that expire in 5 or 6 years, mostly, the Radian has an 8 year expiration date (steel frame, so doesn't depend on the integrity of the plastic parts as much.) We expect our kids to be harnessed at least until 6 in them, Emma is 4 now and you can see she still has LOTS of growth room until it's outgrown. It's not unusual for an 8 year old to fit harnessed in the Radian, especially if you get the 80 (which is what Bridey has.)

Can you tell I really really love my Radians? We have one for my dad's car for when he picks Emma up, too.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
Why is this designated as an "important" thread and pushed to the top...

No offense, but it seems to just be a "congrats" ditto thread...

On car seats, I get my kids out of them as soon as legally possible. An 8 year old in a car seat?? Seems a little controlling to me.

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We are the only first-world country I know of in which parents are eager to move their children to less-safe riding conditions in the car. Most European countries require rear-facing much longer than we do, and have less injuries and deaths of young children in car accidents as a result.

And it's traditional around here that threads announcing the births of children are stickied for a little while so everyone notices them, since many people will have known that the baby was coming soon and will be eager to hear news and see pictures.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
We are the only first-world country I know of in which parents are eager to move their children to less-safe riding conditions in the car. Most European countries require rear-facing much longer than we do, and have less injuries and deaths of young children in car accidents as a result.

Superstation is 4 1/2 and still in a harness. He is only about 35 lbs. Our seats only harness through 40 lbs.

Mooselet will be 7 in June. He is still in a high back booster (actually, in my car it is a backless booster, but in the family car it is high back). Most of his friends stopped using boosters as soon as they turned 6. The rule in CA is 6 years or 60 lbs. Mooselet is no where near 60 lbs. so we have chosen to keep him in the booster for safety. We always get questioned by his friends when they see him get in my car after school and get in the booster.

At Mooselet's school all the K-3 kids get out at the same time. It is amazing how many kids I see get into the front seat of their parent's car. You are supposed to be 13 before doing that, right? The one I noticed specifically was a large SUV with plenty of room for kids in the back. There was no reason the kid had to sit up front.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I have seen that too, Mama. I have been known when seeing particularly egregious breaking of car safety laws (like the 2 1/2 year old in the front seat in nothing but a seat belt) to call the police, report the license plate, last location, and direction of travel. It just scares me to think of what would happen to a small child in the front seat in a seatbelt (with it tucked behind his shoulder, of course) in a crash.
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lobo:
Why is this designated as an "important" thread and pushed to the top...

In response to your query it's because KQ is one of the nicest people on the forum and we wish her and her little Ketchups all the very best. As most of us have shared the ups and downs of KQ's pregnancy for the last nine months, I think it's extremely cool that we get to celebrate the first days of Little Maggie's life with a sticky thread.
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks KQ - I think I'll definitely have to check them out some more. How nice to have someone else do the initial research for me! [Smile]

Most of the seats we've been looking at here are "newborn to toddler", so it sounds like the radian will last for longer. And really, I don't mind the expense when it's safety issue.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Ah, it's moot anyway - it's illegal to use anything here that doesn't have the Australian Standards mark (which Radian seats don't have at this time).

Oh well.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

imogen, I really recommend the BabyCenter Car Safety board-- they will have resources for Aussie seats, I'm sure. That's where I start a lot of my research. [Smile]
imogen
Member # 5485

Thanks kq - I found the thread over there. [Smile]

Very helpful. I will definitely look for a seat with the highest RF limit I can find.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.