FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I leveled as a Magic User

Author Topic: I leveled as a Magic User
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I performed my first professional magic show.

I've been dabbling in magic for a few years now. My first show was for a group of LD and PD kids at my wife's work. My second show was at a cow barn in India for the neighbors of a friend of ours during our visit several years ago.

I'd consider those and my clowning as the first few Magic User levels.

I didn't get paid for those.

I started working for Abra-Kid-Abra. Call it a good Magic User's School. (www.abrakid.com if you are interested in my weird job. Sorry, none of the pictures are of me or Sasha).

I taught kids basic magic routines (in Player terms, Cantrips and a few 1st level spells).

Finally, after some suggestions from the staff, and as I was the only full time staff member who was not a practicing magician (or should I say the only one just practicing) I debuted my skills for a 7 year old girl and her party Sunday afternoon.

My boss, who has been performing since grade school, and has done birthday parties for 2 if not 3 generations in some families, was their to critique.

I did ok.

I only have 4 pages of notes for improvement.

But I did get paid. At $50 for 1/2hrs work, I'll be doing it a long more too.

So basically, I am a 5th level MU/Illusionist (funny I didn't feel my HP go up when I leveled, but then MU's rarely do.). I don't have any of the good high level spells yet--no sawing people in half, catching bullets, or escaping straight jackets (something I may need, people keep telling me), not even the ability to make rabbits appear.

I do have, turn white metal bunny into pink metal bunny, vanish the key, and pick-a-card. My power spells are--Get Giggles from Girls, and Loud Laughter 3.

Wisest advice I got?

You can tell a good performer by the amount the audience applauds. But you can tell a good magician by the amount the audience gets into the act.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I think your alignment is what really matters in this case.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

So basically, I am a 5th level MU/Illusionist

Dubious at best. I see no evidence that you have mastered the basic spell magic missile. How else can you fend off goblins, see down a corridor, or keep the children away from the stage?

I think you need to go back and focus on your basics.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked as a part time clown/magician for a few years. I really liked that work. It was a lot of fun. My kids still like for me to pull out the magic.

Congrats on the paying gig. They are a lot of fun.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think you should cross-class with a Psionic class (Mentalist) to get the most bang for your buck.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]
quote:
(funny I didn't feel my HP go up when I leveled, but then MU's rarely do.)
--Enigmatic
Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally, I think you should cross-class with a Psionic class (Mentalist) to get the most bang for your buck.
If he's going multi-class then Bard should clearly be high on his list. Though I think he may already be a multi-classed Bard/Magician. Though I wouldn't given him level 5, he'd need to have burning hands, magic missile, a high level shield spell.

I think Dan's probably a Bard 10/Magician 2.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
wait for fourth edition before venturing guesses about multiclassing.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about learning how to do magic. I think it would be a fun skill to have, and I'd like to learn more about the performance and psychological aspects of it, not just the mechanics of tricks. Do you have any suggestions for resources, Dan?

Congrats on the paid performance, by the way!

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.