FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The good news thread. Formerly "It just makes your heart feel good"

Author Topic: The good news thread. Formerly "It just makes your heart feel good"
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
ESPN.com video that is safe for work

Long story short. A senior softball player hits the first home run of her career... ever. She doesn't step on first base and turns back to touch first. She tears her ACL. She has to touch all bases before the home run will count. If any of her teammates or coaches touch her, she will be called out.

Two players from the opposing team pick her up and carry her around the bases, allowing her to touch all the bases and get her home run.

The team that carried her around the bases ended up losing the game.

Stories like this really make me happy.

[ May 07, 2008, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: brojack17 ]

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw! How horrible, and how touching. Great story. I think the last feel good story I heard was about the autistic kid was singing the national anthem at a baseball game and got the giggles and couldn't stop laughing, so the entire crowd joined in and sang the anthem with him. It was 10 kinds of awesome.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. There *is* hope for the human race.

/tears

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by brojack17:
Stories like this really make me happy.

Me too. *sniffle*

Thanks for sharing that.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing that brojack, that warmed my heart.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
ditto.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
That actually made me cry. I don't usually cry at something like that.

Then again, I'm also drinking beer.

Thanks for the video. I sent that off my baseball-loving dad immediately.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so I'm a candidate for carmudgeon of th year, but could they have made that report anymore schmaltzy?

It's a great story. One of the finest, but eek, the soundtrack, the heavy delivery *shudders*.

Surely the tale is strong enough to stand on its own merit without the OTT heart-string tweaking adornments?

*retires to cave to thrash Bob Cratchett*

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That was very cool.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:
Ok, so I'm a candidate for carmudgeon of th year, but could they have made that report anymore schmaltzy?

It's a great story. One of the finest, but eek, the soundtrack, the heavy delivery *shudders*.

Surely the tale is strong enough to stand on its own merit without the OTT heart-string tweaking adornments?

*retires to cave to thrash Bob Cratchett*

Yeah, it is a little bit overdramatic, but that's what they do on ESPN with the heart touching stories.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
KPC shared this story with me yesterday. It made me happy. That is what good sportsmanship is.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paigereader
Member # 2274

- posted      Profile for paigereader   Email paigereader         Edit/Delete Post 
espn makes me during every college game day... some college football player that went to junior college, worked third shift at the iron mill to help his grandparents (that raised him)and dedicates every game to them. He has there names tatooed on each arm sob sob. they get me everytime.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
wow, that was a great story.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
That is sweet.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, romany, good to see you!

Whenever I see this thread's title, I read the title in the voice of "Kelly"'s grandmother (from Shoes, Text Message Break Up, and so forth).

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

Here is another great story.

Teen is running out of innings, but the game is not over

I'll let you read, but there is an 18 year old kid out there that has terminal cancer. His dream was to play baseball. He got a chance and got a hit.

This kid has a great outlook. I hope I would have his courage if I were ever in his situation.

Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I find this to be a great video:
Fans at Fenway help a disabled singer sing the national anthem

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the story is great, despite the fact that NCAA has pointed out that the ump's ruling was incorrect - in the case of bases which have been awarded, a substitute can run the awarded bases on behalf of the injured player.

In other words, it was a homerun regardless of what the other team did or did not do.

But it's still a great story. [Smile]

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

Blind bowler scores a perfect game.
brojack17
Member # 9189

OKC Bombing Survivor Graduates from High School

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.