FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Shows that ended perfectly (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Shows that ended perfectly
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Six Feet Under.

And that's all I've got at the moment.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Seinfeld.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Friends.
Star Trek DS9.
Will and Grace.
West Wing.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
Lost.

(Oh, it will.)

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Cop Rock.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Firefly.

Sorry, just had a delusional moment there... [Frown]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
M*A*S*H. It might not have been absolutely perfect, but it was pretty damn good.
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Not Seinfeld, it should've ended a whole season before it did. The only decent episodes of the last season depended on gimmicks to make them any good (the backwards one; the final episode). It became forced and artificial.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Star Trek DS9.

Your championing of Generations I could take in stride, but this insult will be met with vigor. How DARE you.

Of all things, a freaking clip show, a heavily padded one at that, rounds out an otherwise stellar two seasons of dominion war. This cannot be borne. This will not be borne.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
MASH
Mary Tyler Moore
Barney Miller
St. Elsewhere

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Trek: TNG
Farscape (Including the miniseries as the ending. Wish it could have gone longer, but the ending was brilliantly done.)
Fraggle Rock

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Slings and Arrows.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The Newhart Show
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Buffy -- at the end of the 5th season.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Blackadder Goes Forth - the final shot is perhaps the most touching thing I've ever seen on big or small screen.

Cheers - when Sam leaves the bar the last time and it lingers on the Indian chief picture from Nicholas Colasanto's (aka Coach) dressing room...and then the bar is left empty with nothing but memories.

The Wonder Years - The final voice over, with images of Kevin, Winnie and Paul happily watching the 4th of July parade with their families.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who considers the final episode of Babylon 5 to be the absolute finest possible ending for a series.

Unfortunately, he built it up with such an enthusiastic pitch, to the point of even insisting that I couldn't watch it until he was there to watch it with me and see my reaction (I think he expected me to burst into tears, or something?), that when I finally saw it, my feeling was...

"That's IT?"

Probably if he hadn't built it up so much I would have thought it was a pretty good ending.

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to think of all the shows I've ever loved (that had an ending and lived long enough to see it) and how I felt about the last episode...

TNG: No.. 'sides, it went on in (mostly) crappy movies.

DS9: No. (won't elaborate for spoiler reasons)

Buffy: No. (won't elaborate)

Angel: mmm... not bad... but not perfect. And too soon. the show was just hitting its stride.

Red Dwarf: HA! Only if it had ended after the 2nd season. (but then we would have missed some gems later.)

Blake's 7: YES! Oh what a perfect ending given the rest of the show!

Bab5: Yeah, that ending was really good... Too bad the prior season was crap.

Veronica Mars: No. Good season ending, poor season. Should have gone on anyway.

Six Feet Under: Yes. Seems like the show went on too long, but the ending WAS perfect for the show.

Sopranos: Do I even have to say No? The show had gone on far too long anyway.

Deadwood: No, they promised us some resolution in additional TV movies that never came.

Rome: Yes, but I wish they'd done MORE! That show was great!

Evangelion: .... Uh... What the frak?

Hmmm... looking over all these "Nos" bodes ill for BSG and LOST...

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Hiatus.

It just wouldn't have the same insane buzz if it hadn't been killed so abruptly.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Gilmore Girls. Even though the 7th season had to make up for the screw-ups of the 6th. Glad they got Amy Sherman-Palladino out of the driving seat for the last season.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Freaks and Geeks had the best series ending I've ever seen.

Still should have gone on forever, but if it had to get axed after the first season there's no better way it could have been done.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bab5: Yeah, that ending was really good... Too bad the prior season was crap.
Think of how awesome the ending of B5 would have been if we hadn't had a season 5. We'd have had the end of season 4 right next to the end of season 5. It would have been a thing of beauty.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
The Simpsons.

edit: According to Wikipedia that show is still on the air. That doesn't sound right...

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
MPH: We would have been crying for more. In fact, We were still crying for more.. And what'd we get? Crusade. (Though I still think that show might have made it given enough time and less meddling from TNT and WB. Bab5's first season was lame too.)
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Simpsons is still on....

The last scene in Boy Meets World when Eric, Cory, Shawn, and Topanga go back to say good-bye to Feeny. And they all hug him (except Eric who is the closest to Feeny who gives him a handshake). Then they ask him to say that he loves them- and he just shakes his head and says "I surely will not."

Then when the walk out he just says "I love you all. Class dismissed."

That show went on probably longer than it should have- but I still love every minute of it. And that finale (even though it was mostly just clips of past stuff) was quite good. That final scene makes me almost cry every single time.

I would say the worst Seinfeld episode is the finale- the rest was all quite excellent. But the finale- meh.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
DS9: No. (won't elaborate for spoiler reasons)

Seriously? It ended nine years ago. I think it's finally safe to talk about without fear of upsetting people.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
The only "perfect" ending I can think of is for a video game...Portal.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Think of how awesome the ending of B5 would have been if we hadn't had a season 5. We'd have had the end of season 4 right next to the end of season 5. It would have been a thing of beauty.

I'm not sure it really would have worked that way. If the near-cancellation of B5 went through, we would only have gotten the very last episode of S5 which would replace the last episode of S4.

Without the end of the G'Kar and Londo story or the resolution of what happens to Centauri Prime, I think we're better off with what we got.

Of course, we could wonder what would happen if they had more notice of S4 ending and wrapped it up sooner, but then we may as well be wondering what would happen if there was no near cancellation at all (which I think would have been much better than both the status quo or ending at S4).

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
Quantum Leap

I love the ambiguousness of it, even if it was not meant to be the end

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Crusade. (Though I still think that show might have made it given enough time and less meddling from TNT and WB. Bab5's first season was lame too.)

Maybe, personally I think that the meddling in Crusade would have lead to something pretty much like, well what meddling lead to in Jeremiah. Meaning an occasionally interesting story, but with some dead-ends as certain characters pushed on by the network were killed and stories were prematurely end.

Personally, I think we were better off without Crusade, JMS was definitely tired and burnt out after writing like three seasons worth of episodes almost straight.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
The only "perfect" ending I can think of is for a video game...Portal.

You never got to the end of Arkenoid Warriors?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
My two cents:

BSG (I'm sure it will)

Bab 5 (of course)

Evangelion (I love twisted)

Rah Xephon (again, twisted)

Dark City

Rock & Rule

The Return of the King

I agree that Season 5 was weak (till the end) and would have been better if Claudia Christian hadn't left... she would have been the one to have the relationship with the leader of the rogue telepaths... and just imagine where that would have gone! I just finished rewatching Crusade actually... and there was some real potential there... the episodes that TNT didn't mess up were actually good. And just remember First Season of B5...wasn't the strongest either but look where it finally went!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Ooo I forgot about Boy Meets World. I'm still pissy that they haven't released more than three seasons of DVD. I want my Boy Meets World!

As for DS9, really I didn't think this was a thread for shows with the best series finale episode, I thought this was a thread for shows that ended right. After the end of the Dominion War, the resolution of the Prophets and the PahWraiths and how the crew went on with their lives, I think it was perfect. It wasn't 100% satisfying, because it leaves some things open ended, but I also think that's part of why it was good. My only complaint would be how quickly the war ended, but I guess momentum and all that, they pressed their advantage.

I'll second M*A*S*H

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The Return of the King?

Was that I show I'm not aware of or was LOTR turned into a TV series that I don't know about?

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
TV?
They said shows... are we just talking about TV shows and not movie shows then?

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Buffy -- at the end of the 5th season.
No, no, no, no. Buffy end of Season 7 was a way better ending. And if they'd spread season 7 out into two seasons (like, I think they needed to to really cover that much plot) it would have been perfect.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I found the end of season 7 disappointing.
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Due South

Fraser and Not!Ray, riding off into the Canadian sunset. On a dog sled.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
How funny. *I* was just about to say, Due South. [Big Grin]
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to reiterate M*A*S*H, because it's worth the repeat. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Cowboy Bebop

Spaced (BBC)

Those are my favorite TV shows of all time, too.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Due South was a good ending. But I never got to see the whole series in order. When is freakin' Netflix gonna give in to the twenty gazillion requests I know folks have been making and get the DVDs?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, dude! That reminded me to check for the first time in months and THEY HAVE THEM!!!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

And just think, you'll probably be handling the ones that just left my house... [Smile]

Due South was 55% of why I got Netflix int he first place. They were way too expensive to buy.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've been requesting they get them for, oh, gosh, must be four years now! Every few months I would check, still wouldn't have them, I'd put in a request!
Sachiko
Member # 6139

OH, so, it's you I have to thank that they were there for the taking when *I* signed up for Netflix!

DOMO arigato!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Didn't they even use "Our Town", one of my FAVORITE songs since it came out-- yes, I was a folk geek when I was 10-- in the final ep?)
Sachiko
Member # 6139

I can't remember.

I've been rationing my Due South consumption. I just finished Season One and I'm tooling around with other shows before getting Season Two.

All I can recall is the Stan McGee "Northwest Passage", which I love.

Sachiko
Member # 6139

Is this the same "Our Town" as Kate Rusby's "Our Town"?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for mentioning Fraggle Rock, Javert. Jim Henson and Jerry Juhl truly followed through on their vision for that show...by the final episode, -every- loose plot thread tied together neatly.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.