FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Shows that ended perfectly (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Shows that ended perfectly
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of miss Gummi Bears.

And I've always wanted to know how ThunderCats turned out.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
I'll have to reiterate M*A*S*H, because it's worth the repeat. [Smile]

You're near my age right? I don't think I've ever heard anyone around my own age say they liked MASH at all, let alone could comment on how well it ended.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't have been happy without Buffy Season 6. It was purely amazing. Most people disagree.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, are you serious? Almost everyone in my elementary school classes watched MASH in syndication, I don't think I liked the ending at that age, though I do now. And I'm a bit younger than you.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sachiko:
Is this the same "Our Town" as Kate Rusby's "Our Town"?

It is NOT Kate Rusby's.

Sorry, bit of a sore point for me.

Yes, same song. By Iris DeMent, whose music I ADORE.

I love Kate Rusby. But we saw her in concert and she did "Our Town", and what she said about it made it clear that she doesn't "get it."

And that ruined her version of the song for me (and my dad.)

Again, sorry for the gripe...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
Lyrhawn, are you serious? Almost everyone in my elementary school classes watched MASH in syndication, I don't think I liked the ending at that age, though I do now. And I'm a bit younger than you.

Ditto. 'Cept I think we're about the same age, am I right? Or are you a year older than me?

I think I started watching M*A*S*H when I was about 14 or 15, and have been a fan since.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'm I think 3 years younger than you, maybe your brother's age? I'm 22. Lyrhawn is 23.

I was much younger when I started watching it, I also watched David Letterman before Kindergarten. Umm there were weird things that came from my dad getting home from work at 12:20.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:

You're near my age right? I don't think I've ever heard anyone around my own age say they liked MASH at all, let alone could comment on how well it ended.
I'm 23, and mash was never on my radar. I knew one kid who liked it from syndication.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

See, that's funny. I wonder if it was regional/linked to parental stuff of some sort.

'Cause pretty much everyone in my HS would get a M*A*S*H reference.

(I'm 24, 25 this month.)

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything But Love. Tragic that it was only one season, but it ended well.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
I am 25 and would consider M*A*S*H to be my all-time favorite television series. I started watching it when I was 11 and couldn't stop. I wouldn't say that most people at my HS would get a M*A*S*H reference, but there were definitely a number of my classmates who also watched it.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

Oh, and I'd add that I think that the final episode of M*A*S*H was a very good ending. I thought they did a good job at ending the war along with the series.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Fact: I have seen every episode of every season of Wings at least five times.

(I'm not sure why. The show has some sort of hold on me!)

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Also second whoever mentioned Newhart's final episode. [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Is this the same "Our Town" as Kate Rusby's "Our Town"?

It is NOT Kate Rusby's.

Sorry, bit of a sore point for me.

Yes, same song. By Iris DeMent, whose music I ADORE.

I love Kate Rusby. But we saw her in concert and she did "Our Town", and what she said about it made it clear that she doesn't "get it."

And that ruined her version of the song for me (and my dad.)

Again, sorry for the gripe...

Oh, well then.

[Big Grin]

I'll keep that in mind, next time I listen to my Sleepless CD. I'll have to try Iris DeMent one of these days.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Fact: I have seen every episode of every season of Wings at least five times.

(I'm not sure why. The show has some sort of hold on me!)

Because of Tony Shalhoub!
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't remember.

I've been rationing my Due South consumption. I just finished Season One and I'm tooling around with other shows before getting Season Two.

All I can recall is the Stan McGee "Northwest Passage", which I love.

Stan Rogers. [Smile] I have that song, and I adore it. Stan also wrote "Barrett's Privateers" which is the one Fraser starts singing on the freighter in "Mountie on the Bounty." I like Stan Rogers.

I also like Due South a LOT, and I have the series on DVD. I don't care how much they cost, I barely even remember. It is possibly my favourite series of all time. I can't say it ended perfectly, because I was too sad it was over. But if it had to end, it ended really well.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

Has anybody else noticed a striking resemblance between Benton Fraser and Captain Carrot of the Ankh-Morpork Night Watch?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
quote:
I can't remember.

I've been rationing my Due South consumption. I just finished Season One and I'm tooling around with other shows before getting Season Two.

All I can recall is the Stan McGee "Northwest Passage", which I love.

Stan Rogers. [Smile] I have that song, and I adore it. Stan also wrote "Barrett's Privateers" which is the one Fraser starts singing on the freighter in "Mountie on the Bounty." I like Stan Rogers.

I also like Due South a LOT, and I have the series on DVD. I don't care how much they cost, I barely even remember. It is possibly my favourite series of all time. I can't say it ended perfectly, because I was too sad it was over. But if it had to end, it ended really well.

What EL said about Stan Rogers (I'm listening to "Between the Breaks... Live!" right now, actually. I'm on "The Mary Ellen Carter" which I contend is one of the best songs ever. Did I mention that I like Rhapsody, too? Don't have to buy all the CDs I want to listen to or keep them around the house taking up space and getting ruined by kids, but can listen to them any time for $13 a month; it's like Netflix for music. My only gripe is that they're lacking on Celtic; no Kate Rusby, no John McCusker, only 1 cd from Battlefield Band... Oh, and no Beatles.)
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shawshank:
Simpsons is still on....

The last scene in Boy Meets World when Eric, Cory, Shawn, and Topanga go back to say good-bye to Feeny. And they all hug him (except Eric who is the closest to Feeny who gives him a handshake). Then they ask him to say that he loves them- and he just shakes his head and says "I surely will not."

Then when the walk out he just says "I love you all. Class dismissed."

That show went on probably longer than it should have- but I still love every minute of it. And that finale (even though it was mostly just clips of past stuff) was quite good. That final scene makes me almost cry every single time.

I would say the worst Seinfeld episode is the finale- the rest was all quite excellent. But the finale- meh.

That's funny. I also quite liked the ending to this show. In fact, the clips chosen were very appropriate and well-sequenced to be both poignant and humorous.

Boy Meets World had a particular connection with me, since I was just about the same age as the kids in the show and, while my life was nowhere near as crazy (or sitcom-like) as the Matthews', it had episodes with many pertinent themes.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Oh, and if you like Stan Rogers and Kate Rusby, try Kate Wolf too. [Big Grin] )
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
The only "perfect" ending I can think of is for a video game...Portal.

Cake is the perfect ending to anything... dammit, i have to listen to it on you tube now!
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
I'm 23, and mash was never on my radar. I knew one kid who liked it from syndication.

[ROFL]
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

Kate Wolf--thanks for the rec., ketchupqueen. [Smile]

I loved Boy Meets World.

Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
The Wonder Years....and Boy Meets World...

I guess the Savage Brothers have that magic for me lol

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, if you send me your email address, I will send you my very favourite recording of Barrett's Privateers (IMO, even better that Stan himself's). I'd just recommend the CD, but it was only a very limited release and I doubt it's findable (I sure can't find it).
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Sure! [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

E-mail sent to addy in your profile. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Um, 'cept Yahoo just sent me a failure notice for that addy.

My address is in my profile, however.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wouldn't have been happy without Buffy Season 6. It was purely amazing. Most people disagree.

I agree Breyer - I don't really understand the season 6 hatred. I thought it was excellent (if sad and horrible and gut wrenching etc etc).
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched MASH because my mom watched it incessantly. I actually hated it for a long time until I got away from things that she watched, and now that I haven't had to watch it in a long time I rather like it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katdog42:
Quantum Leap

I love the ambiguousness of it, even if it was not meant to be the end

I agree. Would've liked more, but it was a good ending.

I'm looking forward to the 20th anniversary LeapCon. [Big Grin]

quote:

You bet!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Sent, kq! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I have always thought it captured the desolation of the song really well.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
The only "perfect" ending I can think of is for a video game...Portal.

I told that to somebody that had just got it, but they thought the furnace in level 19 was the end. They thought I was crazy.

I'm still playing the endgame song repeatedly on WinAmp.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Only one show ended perfectly, and that was Newhart.

I liked M.A.S.H., but its ending was merely great.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
The Wire. Best show of all time. Bar none.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Takin' Over the Asylum
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
M*A*S*H - oh boy. I learned about life from Captain Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce. I tuned in every week at 9pm on BBC2 to be transported to a tent in Korea.

Having grown up with the TV series, I couldn't relate as well tot he film - I missed Alan Alda.

Never liked martini that much though.

PS - I was reading about the fascinatng history of Toledo, the medieval city in Spain, and all I could think about was Cpl. Klinger... [Wink]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I don't. Season 6 was amazing. And I still liked season 7, but I think that they had a hard time figuring out what do with the characters after all they'd been through in 6.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Trigun.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
I am 28 and I love MASH and I would agree that the ending was perfect. Great show that ended beautifully.

But I would say the best ending to a show was the final episode of Ed, Happily Ever After. I'll never forget that speech Ed gives at the end, it is just amazing, and the rest of the episode encapsulates exactly what the show and characters were about. I think thats what a final episode is supposed to do and Ed did it wonderfully.

I also like Star Trek: TNG with Picard finally sitting down with his friends to play cards, Futurama with Lela telling Fry to keep playing, and Sports Night.

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:
M*A*S*H - oh boy. I learned about life from Captain Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce. I tuned in every week at 9pm on BBC2 to be transported to a tent in Korea.

Having grown up with the TV series, I couldn't relate as well tot he film - I missed Alan Alda.

Never liked martini that much though.

PS - I was reading about the fascinatng history of Toledo, the medieval city in Spain, and all I could think about was Cpl. Klinger... [Wink]

One of the rare TV shows that was better than the movie it was based on (and there's a thought for a thread). Rarer yet in that the movie was also better than the book(s) it was based on.

Have you read any of the MASH books? They're actually kind of funny.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Pixiest, I have agreed with you, and disagreed with you on numerous occasions over various ideas, but this is going to far.

Blake 7?

Blake 7!!!

That had to be the worst ending of any show ever.

I mean,

***Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler***

lets just shoot everyone dead and end it.

Melt the ship, and bring back Blake to shoot everyone.

please.

I hated that ending.

After spending many of my limited late night Saturday nights to stay up and watch the show on our local PBS station, whenever it wasn't being skipped due to Opera concerts or pledge drives, to just see each one die a useless and unremarkable death.

Yuck.

PS. M*A*S*H books? I read the original, which was about as different from the movie as the movie was from the series, and the writer hated both. I didn't know there were more than one. Were they based on the series?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
The Office.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:

PS. M*A*S*H books? I read the original, which was about as different from the movie as the movie was from the series, and the writer hated both. I didn't know there were more than one. Were they based on the series?

Yes there were several more books following the zany antics of Pierce and McIntyre around the world. They are not related to the TV series and, to my knowledge, do not involve being in Korea at all.

I read the original book and have skimmed the one in Maine, but never paid much more attention that that.

katdog42
Member # 4773

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Thank you for mentioning Fraggle Rock, Javert. Jim Henson and Jerry Juhl truly followed through on their vision for that show...by the final episode, -every- loose plot thread tied together neatly.

Fraggle Rock had a finale episode?!?!?

We never had cable so I only saw about 20 episodes that somebody taped for us. I didn't realize that they actually drew it all to a close. I assumed it just stopped airing like most kid's shows.

Does anybody know where I can find GOOD synopsis of the finale? I loved the show and would like to know what happened to all the characters.

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
The last two episodes of Season 7 have to be some of my favorite. I mean sure, the plot got crunched more than it should have been and so it felt a little rushed and like some things could have used some more interpretation, but the ending was really just about perfect. I like happy endings. The rather depressing, bittersweet ending of Season 5 -- it was too depressing for me to think it was a good ending.

Good and bittersweet as it was, I like the end season 7 much better. With Buffy (and Faith) now freed of the burden of being the chosen ones and Sunnydale destroyed. That last shot of looking over the big crater that was Sunnydale. "You're not the one and only chosen now, B, how does it feel?" "Yeah, what are we gonna do now Buffy?" And then she gives this little almost a smile. Perfect.

And I think if they'd split season 7 into two, it would have been absolutely, completely, utterly perfect.

And for Season 6, I didn't hate season 6, it just got way too dark and depressing for me. But there's a lot of good stuff in there, particularly the last four episodes, which have to be among my favorite Buffy episodes of all time.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the show with the best ending was Newhart.

I hated, HATED the ending of Gilmore Girls. I was very disappointed. It just went on the emphasize who selfish Lorali is and that she had finally passed it on the Rory. Blah. I was hooked on GG and was very disappointed by the ending.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:

[Razz] Every comment I could have made was already stated, so that's all I've got left.

(My parents loved M*A*S*H, so we watched it in syndication, which is how I developed my love for it. And yes, we are nearly the same age - I'm 24 as of less than a month ago.)

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
The Office.

It's still going, right? I'm only on season 3 (we only watch DVDs, we don't get TV). I have liked the way each season ended. I heard there are only 4 episodes of season 4, is that correct?
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.