FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Shows that ended perfectly (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Shows that ended perfectly
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm
I bet I'm the only MASH hater here.

Also Haibane Renmei had a great ending.
And also Cowboy Bebop, though it was depressing
Vision of Escaflowne was good. I can't think of any normal tee vee endings I've liked.
Roseane was only so-so. X-files to my limited knowledge might have been vile. There's not a whole lot of endings I remember.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I want to second the nomination of Black Adder, perhaps the best series ending in television history.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aretee:
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
The Office.

It's still going, right? I'm only on season 3 (we only watch DVDs, we don't get TV). I have liked the way each season ended. I heard there are only 4 episodes of season 4, is that correct?
Oh, I meant the British version. It lasted two seasons, and wrapped up nicely with a Christmas special. The American version is still going strong.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
Trigun.

I almost said Trigun, but I couldn't specifically remember how it ended. I thought I remembered that it didn't really end PERFECTLY, but that it was good.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Pixiest, I have agreed with you, and disagreed with you on numerous occasions over various ideas, but this is going to far.

Blake 7?

Blake 7!!!

That had to be the worst ending of any show ever.

I mean,

***Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler***

lets just shoot everyone dead and end it.

Melt the ship, and bring back Blake to shoot everyone.

please.

I hated that ending.

** BLAKE'S 7 SPOILERS **

But that's what was so beautiful about it! Everyone dies except Vila (you saw him go down... did you actually see him get shot?) And Avon who raises his gun just as the credits start rolling. You hear gun fire... It gets fainter and fainter... Someone as crafty as Avon probably got away.. but you never know.. unless you read the book.

The show is dark. The good guys really aren't all that good. And most of all, you NEED a show where evil wins in the end every now and then. It makes the shows where good triumphs even better, because you need the doubt to cause suspense.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katdog42:
Fraggle Rock had a finale episode?!?!?

We never had cable so I only saw about 20 episodes that somebody taped for us. I didn't realize that they actually drew it all to a close. I assumed it just stopped airing like most kid's shows.

Does anybody know where I can find GOOD synopsis of the finale? I loved the show and would like to know what happened to all the characters.

Man, I'm not sure. But, I'll try my best: Over the last few episodes, peace between the Fraggles, the Doozers, and the Gorgs has been established...then Doc discovers what Sprocket's known for the past few years: The hole in his worshop is a portal to a strange alternate universe. He and Gobo meet and talk, but the talk doesn't go all that well...Doc is moving, and he ends up frightening and alienating Gobo. It looks like things may be headed towards an unhappy ending...but then the Trash-Heap has a special message for Gobo to give Doc. It all leads to a super-ultra-mega-happy ending. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I second Trigun, Evangelion, and the West Wing.

I'd also like to add Eli Stone...

Oh wait, it's coming back, nevermind. [Party]

Others I liked were Star Trek: TNG, and while I didn't love many of the final episodes, the last episode of Rurouni Kenshin was a perfect ending.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
***SPOILERS***
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
Trigun.

I almost said Trigun, but I couldn't specifically remember how it ended. I thought I remembered that it didn't really end PERFECTLY, but that it was good.
It ends with Vash incapacitating Knives, and carrying him away, as I saw it, to heal him and teach him the error of his ways. By the end of the episode, Vash displays a confidence in himself (as opposed to merely a confidence in Rem's teachings) that he never does until that point. To borrow the metaphor from an earlier episode, Vash finds a way to both feed the spider AND save the fly.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
The Wire.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by the_Somalian:
The Wire.

I loved The Wire. Possibly the most perfect show ever made. The only character's ending I had a problem with was Micheal's. I always thought he had more potential as a human being than what he became.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
My father told me that The Wire was magnificent. What's good about it? I mean, it's just another cop show, no?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
My father told me that The Wire was magnificent. What's good about it? I mean, it's just another cop show, no?

Lisa, it's bigger than a cop show and its realism, depth, characters and novelisic approach to story telling are all quite stunning. The show isn't the least bit episodic--each season tells one story, and the seasons build on each other. Waiting for a new seasons was truly like waiting for a new installment of Harry Potter. Some people were drawn to the intellectual aspects of the show, the statements it was trying to make, but for me, it was the characters and story that kept me obsessed about it.

Its staff of writers came to include three major crime novelists--George Pelecanos, Richard Price and Denis Lehane. And David Simon and Ed Burns, the creators and main writers of the show, truly knew their subject--the former having been a journalist for The Baltimore Sun covering crime and the latter a policeman in Baltimore for decades. Both drew heavily on their experiences for the show.

But as I said, it's the story and characters, as well as the novelistic structure that made the developments which occur way more satisfying than in your typical cop show, that drew me in. Anyone who hasn't seen this show is truly missing out and is in for a treat.

Here's a British critic named Charlie Brooker reviewing the show on youtube. (some language)

[ May 15, 2008, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: the_Somalian ]

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. The Denis Lehane thing explains a lot, too. My Dad reads his books. That might be part of it.

Maybe I'll try it.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.