FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Netflix hoax/phishing?

Author Topic: Netflix hoax/phishing?
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I just opened an email with this message
quote:
Dear maui babe,

Your Netflix Membership has now been changed to the 4-at-a-time program, but you may have already been shipped additional movies from your Queue. All 4 movies are now assigned to you, the account owner. However, you can re-assign these movies to other profiles in your account by clicking here. The changes you make on this page will take effect as you return DVDs you currently have out.

-Your friends at Netflix

I didn't click any links in the email, and checked my account using my regular bookmarks and nothing seems changed. The return address was info at netflix dot com. Kinda weird. I've frequently had phishing attempts that looked like they came from my bank or from paypal, but Netflix? What are they gonna do, hijack my DVDs?

I tried to forward it to fraud @ netflix, but that bounced and I didn't see this issue addressed at their website.

Anyone else getting phished?

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
You shouldn't click the link(s) to check, but it's quite possible they are phishing for your credit card information or other personal details not specific to your Netflix membership.

Many of the phishing sites I've seen ask for ATM card PIN numbers, mother's maiden name, and other things that have nothing whatsoever to do with the site being spoofed. I'd guess this attempt, if fraudulent, is much the same.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
If you checked your membership info page and it doesn't say 4 at a time, but rather whatever you had it at originally, then I wouldn't worry about it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

I'm not worried, just a little perplexed is all.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
My first thought was that perhaps the class action settlement was finally being "paid" out, but the information I'm finding on the internet tells me that the case is undergoing appeal at the moment and no distribution will be made until that is complete.

I'm going to guess this was a phish attempt.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

This morning I received the following email with the subject line reading "Sorry about that"

quote:
Sorry for Any Confusion

Dear maui babe,

Due to a technical problem, we accidentally sent you an email stating that your membership had been changed. Please ignore this message as it was sent to you in error.

We're sorry for the miscommunication and for any confusion this may have caused. If you have any questions, please call us at 1 (888) 638-3549.

-The Netflix Team

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
demand free movies!

tell them your children got their hopes up and you can't bear to squash their dreams like that.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

But the thing is, I've always been on 4 at a time, which was one of the reasons it was so confusing.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.