FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » TV Shows that are better than the movies they're based on (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TV Shows that are better than the movies they're based on
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Demon With The Glass Hand more than Terminator.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:
M*A*S*H
I'm already on record as saying the series was beeter than the film in my opinion. I just grew up with Alan Alda as Hawkeye and willexcept no substitute [Wink]

Alan Alda? Wasn't he that guy on The West Wing?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I liked the movie version of Contact better than the book. But that may have been because I saw it before I read the book. So I'd like to hear other people's opinions on that one.
The movie dwelled on Ellie's atheism and the issue of society's intolerance, along with the obvious hypocrisy of insisting on a religious emissary, yet refusing to accept Ellie's story when she had no proof of her experience. I thought that was very well done. Ellie's frustration at the hearings felt very familiar to me.

An aside: I saw the movie with my son, who was 11 at the time. Several times during the movie, Ellie is sitting at the ridge looking down into a huge canyon, and my son starts pulling at my sleeve to ask me a question: "Do you think there are any deer (or something) down in that canyon?" I was preoccupied with the movie, and shushed him the first couple of times, but finally I answered "yeah, probably".

"Good thing, because if there weren't, it'd be an awful waste of space." /aside

I liked the book a lot too, but for very different reasons. The two addressed different things. In particular, I liked the concept of looking for a signal within the noise, and how proof of god could be built into the structure of mathematics. That was something that really couldn't have been dealt with in the movie, but they did give it a wink when the circle of sand twinkled in Ellie's hand on the beach.

I couldn't say which one I liked better. I liked them both, but I didn't think of the movie as "a version of the book." I just thought of them as different altogether.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
"Do you think there are any deer (or something) down in that canyon?"
"yeah, probably".
"Good thing, because if there weren't, it'd be an awful waste of space."

Oh, man, that's priceless! [ROFL]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
EDIT, because I couldn't let this go - the point of Forrest Gump (or at least one of the big points) is that he is most definitely NOT a victim.

In the movie, the woman (Jenny?) keeps turning Gump down and instead getting involved with guys who abuse her (the activist guy) and hanging out with destructive party types (getting HIV in the process). Gump just waits for her to realize what a good guy he is and come back.

In the book, Gump loses Jenny because she gets tired of him (he's just hanging out on campus and getting stoned a lot; maybe cheating on her as well? Can't remember now...)

Maybe "victim" isn't quite the word, but point being, in the book, it's Gump who messes up, not Jenny.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Day of the Triffids[/qb]
The 1954(?) film version was worse than bad, but the 1980s adaptation by the BBC of Wyndham's classis was excellent.

I saw the '80s one! Quite excellent, one of the first good "thinking" science fiction movies I'd seen at the time.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shawshank:
My Big Fat Greek Life... oh... wait. The show and the movie were bad.

The Godfather was a better movie than book (I actually read the book because I love the movie so much) and the Shawshank Redemption (haven't read the short story, but I doubt it's as good as the movie)

I disagree. I read the Godfather book after seeing the movie and LOVED it so much better than the movie. I thought the book did a great job with suspense, and fleshing out characters. Also, I couldn't tell the actors apart at times.

I love My Big Fat Greek Wedding. But I agree My Big Fat Greek Like was pretty awful.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mistaben
Member # 8721

- posted      Profile for mistaben           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid (okay, I was in high school), my siblings and I loved to watch the Aladdin cartoon show. The movie was great, but man that show was funny stuff.
Posts: 105 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Original posted by Corwin:
I'm not usually a "movie > book" guy, but the LOTR movies had the advantage of being shorter and much less boring than the books. [Razz] Don't get me wrong, I liked the story in the books (ok, maybe not the nevereverending ending, which the movie captured oh! so well...), but they could probably have been half as long without losing anything important.

BLASPHEMY Burn him!!
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
First you have to find me. I'm not sure it's worth it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mistaben:
When I was a kid (okay, I was in high school), my siblings and I loved to watch the Aladdin cartoon show. The movie was great, but man that show was funny stuff.

I rewatched Aladdin as an adult and thought it was a pretty stupid movie. The lyrics, and the melodies of the songs are absolutely brilliant though and I listen to them all the time. It's occurred to me that I prefer musical soundtracks to musicals.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.