FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » One good thing about Spidey's "Brand New Day"...

Author Topic: One good thing about Spidey's "Brand New Day"...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Note: Only those who read Marvel's latest batch of Spider-Man comics will know what I'm talking about. And even then, they probably won't care. [Wink]

...for the first time in years, new Spidey villains are being added who aren't A) The driving force of the meta-plot, to be dropped and never mentioned again as soon as it's over (Hello, pretty much every JMS "Mystic Spider-Totem" baddie and the Gwen Stacy/Green Goblin offspring!) or B) so lame that even the writer who created them can barely stand them. (Paul Jenkins still turns pale when you whisper "Typeface" in his presence!)

This week Dan Slott introduces Screwball, a super-villain who commits costumed crime because she's obsessed with getting hits on her viral video sites. A bit too timely, really...but it's pulled off in an entertaining manner. We also glimpse Paperdoll...who gets one of the creepiest, most skin-crawl-inducing villain intros I've seen in some time.

While I still don't think having Mephisto negate the Peter/MJ marriage and ressurecting Harry was a good idea, I will say the new run is finally showing signs of some much-needed freshness.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeH
Member # 5958

- posted      Profile for JoeH   Email JoeH         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL @ Typeface. I can't imagine what they were thinking. I really enjoyed the "Mystic Spider-Totem" baddie.

Do they have any part of this out in a trade yet? That's really the only way I read comics anymore--in Borders or Barnes & Noble.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I just googled Typeface and found this. This is a joke, right? A parody of a supervillain, like in Mystery Men or something?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
He seems more like an anti-hero from the description in that page.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not saying meta-plot villains can't be enjoyable, it's just they don't seem to be viable as ongoing parts of the rogues gallery. [Smile]

I imagine the first arc of "Brand New Day" is or will be out in trade form soon. While I liked Mister Negative, the other two new villains introduced in the first arc (Freak and Menace) weren't all that great.

Jon: He was meant to be no sillier than any super-villain is. Like I said, his own creator can barely countenance him. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
one short day is creepy
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.