FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » hey does anyone play go

Author Topic: hey does anyone play go
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
i want to find someone to teach me how better.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
The more important question is, have you read Hikaru no Go, and if so, who is your favorite character?
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
i want to find someone to teach me how better.

You must unlearn what you have learned.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I've played a bit but I suck and rely alot on luck. Sorry.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I have played, but I'm in your boat. My roommate is pretty good, we just never have time to sit down to a game. I'm pretty good at atari go, but the grandscale game is behind me.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

heh heh heh me too

hikaru no go: duh sai

i was said when he dissapeared
[Cry]

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Look, if you're going to stick around, could you try to post with a bit of substance and spell-checking? You may have noticed, Hatrack has a slightly higher standard than the rest of the tubes.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I've played about a few dozen games of Go in my life over the years. I'm not any good though, and when I try to play against Gnu Go or in yahoo's Go rooms I get stomped.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm like everyone else here apparently, I know how to play, but if I play against anyone who has played more than like, ten games, and can think, I get face-crushed.

There's a true saying, though I don't remember it verbatim, 'Go, the game you learn in a minute, but takes a lifetime to master.'

A different saying I prefer in regards to the game is, 'Just one game, the man said. That was yesterday.'

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I, like most American anime fans, have read Hikaru no Go and have personally played about...oh, ten games. So I'd get destroyed by anyone who claims to play it regularly. I do have my own high quality board and stones though, that's more than most people my age [Razz]
Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Saephon:
Yeah I, like most American anime fans, have read Hikaru no Go and have personally played about...oh, ten games. So I'd get destroyed by anyone who claims to play it regularly. I do have my own high quality board and stones though, that's more than most people my age [Razz]

... There's an anime about go?

Who knew? [Dont Know]

Edit to add: I actually learned of go from A Beautiful Mind. I didn't know there was an anime.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
i play occasionally.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What the heck is go?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Go
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks interesting.

I'll NEVER be able to get any of my friends to play it with me though, I can tell that just by reading the rules and gameplay.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wanting to learn the game, but since I have nobody to play against, I am a bit stuck.

There is a pretty active Go league here in Raleigh, and I decided to learn to play after reading an article about them in the local paper last year.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
My husband can play. His dream is to someday have one of the table go boards. Right now, he has a beautiful 3' thick board and "decent" stones. He also has a roll up board, a magnetic board and a medium sized wooden folding board (which people won't play with him on because it is smaller then standard and so not as nice). He usually gives me like a 12 stone handicap and still wins. And he can debate the merits of Chinese versus Japanese scoring. [Smile]
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister got a nice Go set, and took one look at the instructions and started laughing. The next time we had a family get together, she gave it to me.

The problem is, I have no one to play it with. Neither Havah nor Tova will play chess with me. They'll barely play Othello with me. As a result, I have no idea if I'd be any good at it at all.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
I've played about a few dozen games of Go in my life over the years. I'm not any good though, and when I try to play against Gnu Go or in yahoo's Go rooms I get stomped.

I am demonstrably less good at Go then Xavier is. I know this because it was demonstrated at RaspberryCon.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I've won a few tournaments and am dan level. The key to improvement is pretty simple: work hard and study problems.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're interested in improving your skills in Go, you may not want to knock the importance of Math...

Just a thought.

Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

Math is my only good subject, I was just pissed at my math tacher that day.

Do any of you play at Kgs im on somtimes, just look for soop.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I got massively bored of go and quit but I was pretty good at it for a while.

It's .. eh, I dunno. I like chess better even though I never play chess anymore either.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

I love to play, but every time I do, someone destroys me on every go server.
[Cry]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.